LED ratios! Help!

Hussar

Hi guys, I'm starting a fluval edge 23ll. I've been in touch with the guys who do LED upgrades for the tank - Ultrabrite. The recommend a whit:blue ratio of 6:4. But I've heard it should be 1:1 or even 2 blue to 1 white??

I'm getting a controller so I guess I can fiddle it a bit regardless.

Does anyone have some experience to help me?

well 6:4 white to blue is REALLY white.. most people would do 4:6 white to blue or better yet 2:1 blue to white.. even 1:1 is going to end up really white..

what whites are they using?

what other colors (if any) are they using?

They say they can do any ratio- here is a email from them:"Due to the structure and hight of the tank we highly recommend the 6/4 ratio. If we go 5/5 the blues will over power the whites. But with 6/4 you will have the nice reef look that is most desired. The blues are very powerful and even 3 blues would be a good option. At the end of the day its up to you, but we recommend the 6/4 ratio.I hope I addressed your questions if not please advise. Thank you"So what do you guys think???

I found a listing for their units on eBay. They are using 12K whites, and 470nm blues. I'd suggest you avoid it, or ask them for a custom version with LEDs that won't make the tank look like windex. For those interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluval-Edge-UltraBrite-Reef-LED-System-/120940928934'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluval-Edge-UltraBrite-Reef-LED-System-/120940928934
Thanks for the advice evilc- they say they can do any combo- it's a Cree led system with 10 LEDs giving 30watts- do you think a 5/5 mix will be better? The unit comes with a controller
well 6:4 white to blue is REALLY white.. most people would do 4:6 white to blue or better yet 2:1 blue to white.. even 1:1 is going to end up really white..

what whites are they using?

what other colors (if any) are they using?

That's what I'm worried about- I want a bluish tank, but the LED maker is convinced that a 1:1 white to blue will have too much blue- see his comment above. The IS a controller so can I mix and match to my liking?

Here is the problem - they are using 12K whites, which have poor color rendition (i.e. they make everything look washed out and blah usually), and they are only using 470nm blues (these are not royals by the way) instead of primarily 450nm royal blues.

Now maybe they made a mistake on the description of the blues, but when you see ratios like you noted in your first post, note that they are proper when using royal blues as the primary blue, and whites ranging from 6500K (cool whites) to 4000K (neutral whites). Cool whites can be run in a 1:1 ratio with royal blues, but this is not best for good color rendition usually. Neutral whites are used to improve on color rendition, but then must be used in a 1:2 ratio with royal blues for proper color rendition (extra blue offsets some of the yellow from the neutrals). Cool blues (aka standard blues) are typically 470nm, and they are often included in a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio with the royal blues to offset some of the purple color that may result with the use of 4000K neutrals. 5000K neutrals typically (not all diodes are the same) can be run with royal blues only.

All in all, a 1:1 ratio would work if using 6500K whites with 450nm royal blues, and a 1:2 ratio would work if using neutral whites with royal blues. They are using more whites than typically recommended because the 12000K whites have so much blue in them, with very little red, and therefore don't need the extra blue diodes you think are missing. As Evil said, look around for better diode use, or see how far they are willing to go to customize this unit.

Note: I wonder if the pictures they provide are actually all of their units - some vendors have been known to "borrow" pics from other areas of the web, sometimes without permission. Also, "they" have a maroon clown (albeit a tiny one) in a 6g Edge - don't tell the "clown police"... ;)

Oh, and... :welcome:

and they are only using 470nm blues (these are not royals by the way) instead of primarily 450nm royal blues.

The site says "470nm royal".

470nm is NOT royal, which tends to indicate they really have no idea what the blues actually are, which is no surprise. While you can't bet your life on it, more than likely the actual LEDs in use will be true royal, and ~450-455nm. Other then a specific few higher end light makers like AI that do specifcally include 470nm LEDs when we see the name 'royal' we can assume it's actually royal.

I'd really look into other options if that's the only choices they can give you.

With a controller, you can only vary the ratio of the colors that are controlled. If the wavelengths of light aren't there to begin with, the color will never improve no matter how much you adjust the ratio.

Ask them specifically what the wavelength is for the royal blues (data sheets or spectral plots would be a nice bonus), and if they can do 4000K-5000K whites. If not, go elsewhere.

The site says "470nm royal".

470nm is NOT royal, which tends to indicate they really have no idea what the blues actually are, which is no surprise. While you can't bet your life on it, more than likely the actual LEDs in use will be true royal, and ~450-455nm. Other then a specific few higher end light makers like AI that do specifcally include 470nm LEDs when we see the name 'royal' we can assume it's actually royal.

I did note that they were not royals if indeed they are 470nm blues...

So either they are using royals but labeling them wrong, or they are using blues but labeling them wrong, then couple that with possibly using 8000K whites (wouldn't bet on it) after stating that they are 12000K whites - either way you look at this, they are not inspiring a lot of confidence, and I would do what Evil suggested and look around for another vendor possibly... :wacko:

Color of the diodes they are using has nothing to do with running temperature, so to answer your question, no...

The colors they chose is simply due to diode cost or ignorance or both...

HecticDialectics

Definitely no way I'd order from someone like that. There's too many other options.Just go ahead and hit the "x" on the tab and save yourself some trouble.

Definitely no way I'd order from someone like that. There's too many other options.Just go ahead and hit the "x" on the tab and save yourself some trouble.

Actually, I usually middle click on the tab to close it.

Archived