Coral Vue Hydros

Best 4 bulb T5 combo?

Polyp Addict

Right now I have this set up, from front to back

ATI Blue +
ATI Purple +
ATI Blue +
ATI Blue +

I also have a Geisemann pure actinic and ATI Coral +. Whats the best 4 bulb combo that would look great, give me the pop and still grow my zoas and palys?

3 blue+ and a Giesmann 6500k is my favorite for 4 bulb. 6 bulb I would toss in another Blue + and ATI coral bulb. That is the 6 bulb combo i run.

Right now I have this set up, from front to backATI Blue +ATI Purple +ATI Blue +ATI Blue +I also have a Geisemann pure actinic and ATI Coral +. Whats the best 4 bulb combo that would look great, give me the pop and still grow my zoas and palys?
drop that purple and get a 6500 bulb buddy.
masterbuilder

When I was using T5 lighting I just about went broke looking for the perfect combo. Lawnman has it right for my taste. A 6500K lamp with your blue+ is the trick, gets rid of that washed out look.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Blue+Purple+Coral+Blue+

Too pink! Don't do it!

I enjoy 2 B+ 2 C+ but even add is a nice icy white, I prefer a more 20k, next bulb change will do 2 B+, 1 C+, 1 KZ Blue

• Like 1
3 blue+ and a Giesmann 6500k is my favorite for 4 bulb. 6 bulb I would toss in another Blue + and ATI coral bulb. That is the 6 bulb combo i run. drop that purple and get a 6500 bulb buddy.

Can't find where to buy the giesemann 6500k, can you send me a link please.

masterbuilder

The GE that Rehype is just as good. But if you want the Giesemann then go look at aquariumspecialty.com for the Giesemann Midday lamp. They sell both brands. I personally used the GE. No experience with the Giesemann.

I need a 48" size, is the 6000k version almost the same as the 6500k? I don't see them making a 6500k version for the 48" for some reason
I buy all my bulbs from BRS. There packing and shipping of bulbs is the best.
I buy all my bulbs from BRS. There packing and shipping of bulbs is the best.

Does the midday bulb give more of a yellowish look since its a 6000k bulb? Any pics of your tank with the bulb would be a great example. I'm just scared that bulb will wash out my colors and not give the pop that I like in t5's

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2014 at 6:25 PM, Lawnman said:

3 blue+ and a Giesmann 6500k is my favorite for 4 bulb. 6 bulb I would toss in another Blue + and ATI coral bulb. That is the 6 bulb combo i run.

drop that purple and get a 6500 bulb buddy.

Nothing like bring up a 3 year thread :).  Lawnman, came across this while researching my own 4 bulb setup.  Def want to put the 6500 in, was thinking about adding an actinic in the mix.  Ive always got noticeable differences.  I guess wondering if 6500 would overpower just 2 blues though with the actinic being so dim?

2x blue plus, 6500, actinic?

9 minutes ago, taj0930 said:

Nothing like bring up a 3 year thread :).  Lawnman, came across this while researching my own 4 bulb setup.  Def want to put the 6500 in, was thinking about adding an actinic in the mix.  Ive always got noticeable differences.  I guess wondering if 6500 would overpower just 2 blues though with the actinic being so dim?

2x blue plus, 6500, actinic?

This might actually work. 

I'm working with 4 bulb combos right now and have the Giesemann Midday bulb which is 6000k, also have Blue+ and Actinics.

I also have old Aquablue and KZ Fiji Purple bulbs, as well as an ATI Coral+. 

Sorry, rambling a bit, my point is I have been experimenting with that myself now and the combo you mentioned has potential, depending on what your goal is.

So what is it you want to accomplish?

On 2/27/2014 at 6:00 PM, Polyp Addict said:

Does the midday bulb give more of a yellowish look since its a 6000k bulb? Any pics of your tank with the bulb would be a great example. I'm just scared that bulb will wash out my colors and not give the pop that I like in t5's

Well truthfully, yellowish bulbs DO wash things out a bit and have to really be balanced out. 

They have their place, you just have to be smart about what you combine with them.

Well I probably should have added that I will be supplementing with blue led's.  Either SB reflight actinic bar or rapid led -  have both laying around.  The tank itself will be on the lower demand size as far as par - softies, hammers/torches, and macros throughout.  Its a 20 long, so only 12'' tall.  Rock work are 2 islands about 3/4 way up the tank.

It leans more towards minimal rock work side of things.

14 minutes ago, taj0930 said:

Well I probably should have added that I will be supplementing with blue led's.  Either SB reflight actinic bar or rapid led -  have both laying around.  The tank itself will be on the lower demand size as far as par - softies, hammers/torches, and macros throughout.  Its a 20 long, so only 12'' tall.  Rock work are 2 islands about 3/4 way up the tank.

It leans more towards minimal rock work side of things.

Oh, well in that case I'd say that 2 Blue+, 1 actinic bulb and a 6500 would be just about perfect. 

The 6500 will be perfect for the Macros (that's why I got the the Midday bulb for myself, for Macros) and the blue bulbs will balance it out well and keep the PAR from being too high. 

Over a tank that shallow, and using T5HO, you actually need to be careful about the light being too intense, but like I said, the blues will help with that. An actinic bulb has very low PAR and the Blue+ do have decent PAR, but I think it's lower than a white bulb. 

Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Oh, well in that case I'd say that 2 Blue+, 1 actinic bulb and a 6500 would be just about perfect. 

The 6500 will be perfect for the Macros (that's why I got the the Midday bulb for myself, for Macros) and the blue bulbs will balance it out well and keep the PAR from being too high. 

Over a tank that shallow, and using T5HO, you actually need to be careful about the light being too intense, but like I said, the blues will help with that. An actinic bulb has very low PAR and the Blue+ do have decent PAR, but I think it's lower than a white bulb. 

Yeah, that's pretty much the spot Im in.  Id like to use the 6500 for some of the macros and my main source of par/white light.  Then dim in out and add what I really think is an overlooked part of coral health these days with the actinic.  Hell Id even lose another blue if I could because I really think par will be sufficient with my needs, but then I think that 6500 will come thorugh too much.

Its funny Im coming back from LED only because I really do miss the t5, but I will miss the cotrollability I have w led setup.

Im not giving up the pop at nightime with the blue LED's though!  That's here to stay either way.  My son loves it!  & I like a short period of highlighter look to my tank before bed.

• Like 1

Right now I am running a 48" quad fixture with: 

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Purple Plus

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Blue Plus

Too cool for my taste right now..... 

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Right now I am running a 48" quad fixture with: 

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Purple Plus

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Blue Plus

Too cool for my taste right now..... 

Yeah I'm prob leaning away from the 6500 now. Thinking coral plus & blue for "daylight" chanel 

blue plus&actinic for actinic Chanel 

suplemented w a sb actinic bar

• Like 1