ReefCleaners.org

I have a good eye for talent

Formula462

Two weeks ago bought peppermint shrimp, aptasia gone.

Last night added emerald crab, I'm watching him pull the bubble algae out from under my acans.

Score.

Emerald Crabs do eat bubble algae. However, I found that their activities can end up spreading it to other rocks. For me, they never seemed to be able (or willing?) to eradicate it completely.

Emerald Crabs do eat bubble algae. However, I found that their activities can end up spreading it to other rocks. For me, they never seemed to be able (or willing?) to eradicate it completely.

^ this! every time there popped they spread there seed/spores.

Watch your peppermint a if you have any SPS. I bought two and after the only aptasia got taken out they turned to the SPS

Are you sure they were true L. Wurdemanni? I've never heard of one of those eating SPS Polyps, but I have heard of "Aiptasia Peppermints" (there are 3 differnet species called "Peppermint Shrimp" in our hobby) eating coral - that is why proper identification is incredibly important. Also, the Camel Shrimp (R. Uritai, and R. Durbanensis) will also eat Aiptasia but are notorious for eating SPS polyps and tons of other coral.

Put your peppermint for auction :lol: My last 3 peppermints would ignore it.
im up to 8 different peppermints purchased. I think the very last one ate very small ones and then dissapeared.

Are you sure they were true L. Wurdemanni? I've never heard of one of those eating SPS Polyps, but I have heard of "Aiptasia Peppermints" (there are 3 differnet species called "Peppermint Shrimp" in our hobby) eating coral - that is why proper identification is incredibly important. Also, the Camel Shrimp (R. Uritai, and R. Durbanensis) will also eat Aiptasia but are notorious for eating SPS polyps and tons of other coral.
There is a pretty distinct difference between a peppermint and camel.

I am sure what I bought. Here is a link and I am not the only one that has had this issue. There are a lot of posts on RC bout the same issue.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18709127

There is a pretty distinct difference between a peppermint and camel.

I was more commenting about the fact that there are several species among the Lysmata genus. Mainly, L. Californica and L. Vittata that look exactly the same as L. Wurdemanni and several more that very closely resemble. The fact that there are 3+ species that we call "Peppermint Shrimp" opens a lot of questions about whether all, or only some species, actually eat coral.

I know a lot of people do mix up peppermint and camel even though they look totally different. Two of my LFS sell "Aiptasia Eating Shrimp" and they don't differentiate between Peppermints and Camels which is why I always ask.

I've yet to have a Peppermint eat any coral on me (though it did take out a Linckia star - flipped it over and ate it's tube feet).

Yeah he ain't gonna touch the sps. The crab of course is going to pop bubbles when he eats them. The trick with them is simple, you have to remove what you can, and the crab bats cleanup. He will eat the newly forming spores before you can even see them. It's a team effort. Same with peppermint shrimp. They aren't going to go after giant aptasia on their own, but if you zap them first with product they usually figure it out.

Seriously, if you want to teach peppermints to eat aptasia , put a piece of mysis in one and watch the fun begin.

Archived