Xenia doesn't look to good!

Dramirez

I just started working on a new saltwater tank, it's actually my first reef tank. I have two other saltwater tanks but they're both fish only with some inverts and live rock. I wanted to start small because it was my first reef tank, so I bought a rimless 7.5 gallon bow front tank. It has to small heaters, one internal filter with a sponge & carbon inside of the sponge and another Aquaclear HOB filter that I modified into a refugium w/ chaeto and some gravel inside.

I just brought home my first coral: a small Xenia coral (about 1 inch tall) from Petco. I drip acclimated him and placed him at the bottom of the tank in the substrate, because I read that they like low-medium placement. But after the first night he looks really limp and he's not the usual pinkish color, he's more of a purplish-blue almost dead looking. I want to know if this is normal for Xenia when first introduced to a tank or if there is something seriously wrong with him. I just read that Xenia don't like tanks that are too clean, could that be it? Did I make a mistake picking the Xenia as my first coral?

I also just tested the water:

• pH: 7.8 - 8.0
  • Ammonia: 0 - 0.10 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 - 0.05 ppm
  • Nitrate: 0 - 0.5 ppm

Here's a link to a picture of my Xenia on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56YAxEWfHa5NV9OcjJYMXNVU3c/edit?usp=sharing

Also, here's a link to a short video that I took of him:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56YAxEWfHa5Y3gzc0hMZVZHakE/edit?usp=sharing

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kh, calcium, salinity measured with a refractometer. Xenia do best with some nutrients in the water and when they have what they like they will take over.

When I first set up the tank I bought Instant Ocean's Calcium Booster. When I bought the coral I also picked up a bottle of Iodine, a bottle of Trace Elements and a bottle of Phyto Plankton (just in case). I read these are the supplements that Xenia need and that they appreciate being fed some plankton. After adding these things regularly would he eventually begin to look more healthier?

Kh, calcium, salinity measured with a refractometer. Xenia do best with some nutrients in the water and when they have what they like they will take over.

I wouldnt dose calcium or iodine unless you are testing for it

Could the Carbon be what's causing this? I was poking around in the other forums and came across a post where someone was having the same problem and they said that Carbon removes elements including Iodine.

I'm going to remove the Carbon and replace the sponge with a clean sponge and see what happens.

id also ditch the sponge and use floss instead

Okay, I'll have to wait until I can go to a pet store, because I live about an hour away from the nearest one.

Thanks for the reply!

Archived