inTank Media Baskets

Return Pump Advice respond ASAP plzzzz

TheTeenReefer

TheTeenReefer

Okay so I just bought my 40 breeder. Planning on a glass-holes.com 700 gph overflow kit and two u tube hob 3/4 inch return jets. Will be a 20 long sump. Need recommendations for a relatively cheap, but quality return pump. Has to be as quiet as possible.

PS I am 13 and I'm not made of money lol so don't recommend expensive things.

Thanks,

-TheTeenReefer

Nobody can make a recommendation without a static head.

That said, a Danner Mag-5 is $67 at Marine Depot and should get you 400gph at a typical sump-tank height, is very reliable and pretty quiet. If you want complete silence, you're going to have to shell out the bucks for a DC pump.

TheTeenReefer

One more question. Will I have to drill some siphon breaking holes about 3/4 inch below the surface of the water on my return jets? Does this make it safe if the return pump is off? Kinda scared to do all this plumbing by myself..

One more question. Will I have to drill some siphon breaking holes about 3/4 inch below the surface of the water on my return jets? Does this make it safe if the return pump is off? Kinda scared to do all this plumbing by myself..

Yes if your sump can't handle the water volume without siphon breaks.

This depends on how deep your return nozzles are and if your sump can handle the amount of water that would siphon until the nozzles are exposed to air. For a 40 breeder and 20 long sump, each 1" drop in the 40 will equal 1.75" in the 20 long not counting for water volume in the plumbing.

Archived