Innovative Marine Aquariums

new tank

yimmerz

I am thinking of setting up a tank with an eclipse 6 system. I was wondering why a lot of people set these up and take out the filter or the carbon? Also, I was wondering what people thought about the use of a plenum and how exactly to set one up? And finally I wanted to know if anyone has been able to fit a supernova 32w into the eclipse hood without taking out the filter. Thanks.

-Nick

I'd say skip the eclipse, they're not worth your time and effort. Sure they look nice, but it's a pain in the a** to maintain. I'd say go with a 7 gal. bow, much nicer and you can fit a 32watt in there no problem.

the new via aqua's are nice too. they've got good height and lights.

i agree with nano reefin, the 7g is superior to the six and at about the same price i believe.

the filter and carbon issue you may want to run a search for a more in-depth response. i personally use a sponge filter and occassional carbon (individual perference imo).

although i run a plenum in my current nano my previous one ran just as fine without (in an eclipse six btw :blush: ). however the current nano has only been running since december so that jury is still deliberating a bit. i'd recommend skipping the plenum until you're more comfortable with the hobby and willing to gamble on your money. :P

I've gotta agree with NaNO ReeFiN...I've got a friend with an Eclipse and every time I talk to him, he's complaining about his tank... Life's too short.

Don't bother with a plenum. The tank's too small for it to be of any value. Most people yank filtration because it's more difficult to control nitrates. If you have a good amount of quality live rock, that should be all the filtration you need. Like Tinyreef, I too run a sponge every once in a while, but only short-term. I don't leave it in long enough to develop a bacterial bed that would compete with my live rock.

Don't go Eclipse! i have a reef running since october of last year with the eclipse hood on my 15 t, and man was it work! i got it for free so thats why i stuck with it. i had to saw out the fliter portion to fit a skilter with an airpump mod, then pay 90 bucks for the smartlight retro 32w (which is great), and then cut the panels to fit small fans for ventilation. Buy yourself the canopy and skip the stress.

-a

Archived