inTank Media Baskets

Red, spider web like algae?

duganderson

I've got a red growth on my back wall. It looks like spider web and spreads out like glass when it gets broken. Any guesses what this is?

Suggestions on treating this are welcome.

does it look like reddish orange veins?

I had this a while back and did all kinds of reading and searching.. never got a definitive answer, but it went away on its own whatever it was.. I kinda wished it woulda stuck around, it was neat..

post a pic.

Red algae I find are exceptionally vulnerable to vinegar. Take vinegar in a syringe and spray them, they will turn orange and die. I use my carbon dosing vinegar in this fashion and it helps control red bubble and the same thing you have. It works on green stuff as well but not as fast.

Red algae I find are exceptionally vulnerable to vinegar. Take vinegar in a syringe and spray them, they will turn orange and die. I use my carbon dosing vinegar in this fashion and it helps control red bubble and the same thing you have. It works on green stuff as well but not as fast.

If it's the same thing I had, there is no reason to kill it.. every account I found of someone with the same stuff said it just disappeared after a while.. the odd thing is that I didn't add anything "new" to my tank when I upgraded and I never had anything like it in my previous tank.

Yeah that kinda looks like cyano. Don't think that is the same thing I had.

I think I remember yours. Yours was thicker, more red and less brown, right?

Yeah that kinda looks like cyano. Don't think that is the same thing I had.

I hope not. I battled that for about 7 months a couple years ago. I had to use chemi clean and that wiped it out in one treatment (but I'd rather not have to use this again becuase I've heard of some folks crashing there tank with chemi clean)

Are folks pretty certain this is cyno? I'm apt to treat it early with Chemi Clean but I only want to use that if it's for sure cyno.

There's about 1000 different types of cyano, and we haven't done any DNA analysis, but you can certainly wait to see if others chime in and hope it doesn't blow up in your tank in the meantime.

:)

Archived