Pod Your Reef

Please help! Chemipure elite question...

Hussar

Hi guys:

From what I've read a nano reef of 7g does not need a filter or a skimmer. Is this the general consensus??

If I don't have a filter, can I strap a bag of chemipure elite onto or near a power head in the actual tank??

Skimmer, no. I would definitely get a HOB filter, at least.

Strapping a bag of CPE in the DT could cause serious problems
if it happened to break open. And look ghetto. :)

2 cents.

You absolutely need a filter. Get a decent hang-on-back (HOB) one, like an aquaclear 30/50/70 for your tank. Put your chemi-pure elite and other chemical filtration media in it. Also use filter floss that you throw away and replace regularly for mechanical filtration. You don't need a skimmer.

Filter yes, skimmer, no. I've never used one. But I am very good about frequent (2x a week) water changes.

For the Chemipure to work, it needs to have water flowing through it. I don't see how it could if it was just sitting in the corner of the tank.

Ok thanks guys I'll get one tomorrow. Besides chemipure elite, is there anything else I need in the filter? I heard the filter floss doesn't add much benefit, how often do I change it?

Should the filter run while I cycle the tank?

Ok thanks guys I'll get one tomorrow. Besides chemipure elite, is there anything else I need in the filter? I heard the filter floss doesn't add much benefit, how often do I change it? Should the filter run while I cycle the tank?

Filter floss adds no chemical filtration benefit. It adds mechanical filtration - it'll remove particles and debris and help your filter keep crud from floating around in the water. Change it as it gets gunked up and gross. That'll depend on your tank and bioload and how often you take care of your tank, etc.

In the back, chemi-pure elite is fine. Maybe some purigen. Don't add any chemical filtration until your tank is totally cycled and you test it's parameters. Let the cycle complete, test your water to make sure it's cycled, then start worrying about chemical filtration once you have coral and stuff.

Technically, water flow is needed and mechanical filtration is an option. Since you are new to reef keeping, a HOB with some filter floss is fine and will help to trap particulates. As mentioned, rinse or change it out often since:

1. The less time the crud remains in the tank, the better.

2. Clean floss will help maintain good flow which is needed in a reef tank.

Chemipure Elite is basically activated carbon with a bit of GFO (Granulated Ferric Oxide) thrown in. GFO is used to remove phosphate when/if it becomes an issue later on in the tank's evolution (the small amount of GFO in CE is not useless, but will exhaust itself quickly).

All good advice...will echo Tibb's comments re: floss and Purigen. This is what I run with CPE and my water is sparkling...I aggressively feed my corals with no algae problems. Floss is cheap and disposable, just replace once a week.

An AC filter (go for a 70 at least) has other virtues...additional water volume, hides heater, stores your filter materials, and adds GREAT water flow. Look at Fab's AC mod thread in the Pico Forum (I think) and see how he does it, or buy an InTank media basket for the uber clean look.

Archived