Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ricordea Growth?

TeamIM24

We have had a ricordea in our IM 24 for about 5 weeks. When we first bought it there were two mouths and during the day (under our 27" Razor) it would spread out and cover the entire plug. At night it would shrink up so that over half the plug was showing. A few weeks ago it stopped opening up all the way and hardly opens up (compared to the past). A couple days ago it appears a third mouth has emerged.

post-81248-0-63260900-1392926283_thumb.jpg

Is the shrinking related to the new mouth? It used to spread out so much and it hasn't now for some time. Our water (if it matters) has been spot on and we do 5 gallon changes every week.

How much flow? Some modern day reef tanks have too much flow for good expansion (they open up best under low to low-medium flow). They also tend to retract if lighting is too intense, and if really bright, they will pale (bleaching).

We have the Ricordea in the front right of the tank. I chose that spot because the sand bottom seemed to move the least in that area (thinking it was low flow). It does get a good amount of light but our Razor is still has pretty low settings. For 2 peak hours it runs at 35-40%. I can move them under a rock or partially under some cover to compensate for the light. I am not sure where else to put them regarding flow. We have the spin streams and the stock pump in our IM 24. Thoughts?

I have 6 rics in a 20 and they all seem to behave differently. :) I put a green one in that had been stagnant for 6 months in my 40 and in a week it has doubled in size and has a new mouth. I have no clue what it likes about the 20. Less light, dirtier water, more light? Right next to it I have some blue rics that refuse to expand all the way and don't seem to be reproducing.

So perhaps simply trying a different location for a while to see what happens?

So perhaps simply trying a different location for a while to see what happens?

I think I will try a different location and see how it responds. Thanks for the answers.

Archived