75 gallon freshwater LED build- calling all LED experts

flyfshrmn98

I know this is a reef site but I figured there is more LED knowledge over here. I am getting ready to switch my 75 gallon over from 2 T5HO to LEDs and need input from all the LED experts out there who have successfully converted over.

First, about my setup:

-This will be retrofitted in an existing canopy where the T5s are currently.

-I have 3 heatsinks totaling 8x40x3 that I am planning on using (2x 8x16 1x8x8) unless I am convinced otherwise to go with aluminum tubing

-The tank has CO2 injected and EI dosing

-Light will be 22" from substrate when attached to canopy

IMAG0019_zps8fe3c772.jpg

IMAG0021_zpsb40a2bb3.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

I am planning on using a typhon controller so I can dim the channels to 0 and customize sunrise/sunset programs. I will be buying an external power supply and will be using meanwell LDD drivers in various strengths mounted to a LDD board likely made by O2surplus. I would like to overshoot on the lights a little bit and and just dim them as needed. Going for a medium PAR number 40-60

Some random parts I have laying around the house that can be used as needed are about 10 3500k chinese 3w and 30 6500k chinese 3w LEDs (both 700ma in the 180 lum range) and 60 degree optics.

I have not decided on any layouts of the LEDs yet but am planning to use cool white, possibly mix in neutral or warm white, some royal blue, and 660nm reds. So far I have 4 whites that I am looking at...

I am not sure on the optics or layout yet. I have done some saltwater LED builds in the past so have some experience.

Interested in everyone's thoughts and opinions specifically on the white LEDs and if anyone has any other ones they would recommend. Also on layout, spacing, fans, etc, etc..

I've only been running 6500K Cree cool whites over my freshwater tank and I think it looks pretty good. But if I were to do it over again, I would have the majority of the LEDs be 6500K, with a few 3000K thrown in to help with red plants and certain colors of fish, and a few royals for fish colors. All on separate channels of course.

For the brand of whites, I would use the Luxeon Rebel ES LEDs with a CRI of 70 or better. The Bridgelux options are good also if you want to use fewer whites and cluster everything.

I've only been running 6500K Cree cool whites over my freshwater tank and I think it looks pretty good. But if I were to do it over again, I would have the majority of the LEDs be 6500K, with a few 3000K thrown in to help with red plants and certain colors of fish, and a few royals for fish colors. All on separate channels of course.

For the brand of whites, I would use the Luxeon Rebel ES LEDs with a CRI of 70 or better. The Bridgelux options are good also if you want to use fewer whites and cluster everything.

I am thinking of possibly a 2:1 combo of cool:warm BXRA ES stars mixed with RB, deep red, and possibly cyan. Do you think evenly spacing the whites and colors down the 40" heatsink or clustering them would be best? I was planning on using 65 degree ledil reflectors on the white. They will either be run 2 per LDD-500 or 4 per LDD-700/1000 in parallel and dimmed with my typhon controller.

Here are the 3 BXRA ES stars I am considering

Unless your 75g tank is of odd dimensions, I don't think you will need optics of any kind if you go with the Bridgelux ES LEDs. The exception is if you are going very high light.

As for the color temperatures, I would use the 5600K and the 3000K. No need for cyan with the Bridgelux LEDs, as they tend to have decent performance in that area anyway. Royals will be necessary though with the lower cool white color temperature.

If you do decide to use the Bridgelux arrays, you definitely want to cluster. It will blend much better with less "disco".

Archived