Cultivated Reef

First tank college nano

dondon4720

Next fall i will be a Sophomore in college and will be living in a dorm room, a couple of guys on my floor have decided to get freshwater fish tanks. I have decided to start planning a saltwater nano tank. I am looking into getting a 14 or 29 gallon BioCube to house 2 clownfish, a starfish and maybe a couple soft corals. My dad has had a freshwater fish tank in our house for as long as i can remember and i have always wanted to do a saltwater build. This being the planning stage i need advice on how i am going to move these fish during major breaks (Christmas, and Summer). Also, would it be better to start the tank in the summer and move it or to start in the fall while I am at college. Luckily the college is only 15 minuets from a LFS so getting saltwater shouldn't be difficult ( also i go home every other weekend as i only live an hour from college so i could buy a RODI water system and bring water up with me). So any advice for a noobie.

Thanks in advance

LarryMoeCurly

Does your dorm have a limit on the size of the tank?

IMO, a tank at school would just be a hassle, especially if it is a short-term dorm and not a multi-year appartment. I am in the opposite position. I am in my fifth year of school and my tank is at home, so I only see it every few weekends (needless to say, it gets neglected). I know there are people who have done it, but it's hard to fathom the logistics of water changes, cleaning it, moving it, etc. If you are set on having one I would agree with Dark _ice and suggest you get one as small as is feasible.

what is the smallest tank that can house 2 clownfish that's all i really care about

You are going to get a million answers. i would say 16-20g but a lot of people do this in a 10g.. even seen them in as small as a 5-8g as babies but i do not recommend it.

You are going to get a million answers. i would say 16-20g but a lot of people do this in a 10g.. even seen them in as small as a 5-8g as babies but i do not recommend it.

i will probibally get a million answers for this too but would one clownfish be happy in a 10 gallon with a couple soft corals what kind of lighting is needed??

LarryMoeCurly

IMO, 10 gallons is fine for 1 clownfish. As far as lighting, you could probably get away with one par38 with wide optics (120*) if you are just keeping soft corals.

i will probibally get a million answers for this too but would one clownfish be happy in a 10 gallon with a couple soft corals what kind of lighting is needed??

Yes 1 clown on the smaller side is ok in a 10g. there is a type called "stubby clowns" that generally stay small. and for lighting you don't need too much. T5 is fine. but if you want to show off you're coral with lunar lights you should look into a small LED unit. my investment in my LED's was the best thing i have ever put money into tank related.

IMO, 10 gallons is fine for 1 clownfish. As far as lighting, you could probably get away with one par38 with wide optics (120*) if you are just keeping soft corals.

or a par38 on a goose neck is great to. agreed 100%

so if i left for a week (Thanksgiving, Spring Break) will my tank be fine or would i have to worry about things going wrong

I would worry.. personally leaving my tank for a work day makes me go nuts. tanks = children.

LarryMoeCurly

A week is nothing. A few gallons of ATO would be more than enough in most situations for a tank that small. The only issue would be feeding. I'm lucky to do one 20% water change per month on mine (not that I am the best example). I have an osmolator nano for ATO and my parents for feeding and that's it for at least two weeks, more commonly three or four. I think you will have bigger issues to deal with as I stated above. Also, some dorms will have the RAs come in and unplug things during breaks, that would not be good.

i just don't want an auto top off to fail and flood my room

Buy a Tunze 3155 ATO, expensive but worth the piece of mind.

Moving a 10g is going to get old :P

Moving a 10g is going to get old :P

actually i went to a LFS about 15 min from my college and they are having a killer sale on 28 gallon bio cubes as well as having college students employed, i was able to talk to one girl who is in the same boat as me and she said that it isn't really that hard because i am only going to have 2 clownfish and i only live an hour away i only plan to take it home over christmas and summer as leaving it a week won' t hurt it (just do a water change the Friday I leave or maybe not leave until Sunday :P )

here are the prices i got from the LFS:

Biocube 28gal 199.99.

Cured Live rock (mantis shrimp an critter free mantis shrimp creep me out :wacko: ) 8.99 / lb

Instant Ocean Pre Mixed salt water 99 cents a gallon

corals vary

and they are having an extended sale on clownfish pairs (they had a lot)

are these good prices??

I was more talking about hauling all the rock/keeping it wet. Moving corals without damaging them and hauling water so you can set it up quickly when you arrive, trying to re-scape the rock and hoping you don't cause a mini cycle every time you move, ect. Clownfish are the easy part although it will stress them to be moved.

Is it just the biocube or stand too? What do you plan on doing with the tank? All-in-one tanks need more $ on modifications in most cases if you want SPS, nems, clams, ect.

Just a quick check online and a biocube 29g runs $260.

its just the biocube i will put it on a dresser that is already in the dorm and i don't plan on getting SPS, or nems or clams (that can come when i am older and out of college) I am mainly looking at just clowns mabye a reef safe starfish (if there is such an animal) and a couple of LPS corals (or whatever works with the stock lighting)

I would not put that on a dresser. Check the rules too.. a lot of dorms limit how many gallons you can have. For reef safe starfish, maybe a serpent/brittle but sometimes they eat fish. Fromia's, ect would starve.

i think the 14 gallon will be just what i am looking for. i probably won't get very many corals just because i have to move them and that could kill them and that would be a waste on money so i will probably go with some fake stuff and focus mainly on the fish.

Archived