Innovative Marine Aquariums

29g Oceanic BioCube HQI questions

dan.goldsmith

dan.goldsmith

Hello all!

FIrst off I am new to the website! Not entirely new to nano tanks though, as I had a 29g BioCube previously.

I would like help/comments/suggestions from anyone who is willing to offer some advice or lessons learned!

I am currently getting ready to set up a 29g BioCube HQI.

I believe the HQI system i purchased comes with a nano protein skimmer.

Items (other than the tank) include:

40lbs CaribSea Argra-Alive Live Sand (Hawaiian Black)

Hydor Koralia 425 gph Powerhead

100 Watt Eheim Jaeger Heater

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Digital thermometer

Hydrometer

Test Kits

I maybe forgetting some things, I also plan on getting 30 lbs of cured live rock from a LFS.

Is there anything else I need, or anything that would make this tank setup and the following processes easier? Should I invest in a UV Sterlizer? Should I invest in more than 30 lbs of live rock? Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, a preemptive thank you!

It should come with the Oceanic protein skimmer, my HQI did. It's not known for being a top-notch skimmer... I mean they give it to you for free.

Skip the hydrometer and just get a psychrometer refractometer. It's more accurate, which will save you headaches in the long run. (Geez. psychrometer? That's for humidity, not salinity.)

Careful about trusting the digital thermometer... Some of them are about as accurate as sticking your finger in the tank and guessing.

I think 40 pounds of sand will end up deeper than you really want, but that's your call.

As I mentioned, I have the HQI, and I had massive problems with excess heat from the combination of the metal halides and the glass top. I ended up swapping the MH for LEDs and making a mesh lid before I got my temperature under control, and I live in WA, so it's not a factor of climate.

dan.goldsmith

I agree with the sand I am planning on using roughly 25-30 lbs, not all 40. Also thanks for the advice on the skimmer, do you think I should invest in a different skimmer?

As far as the thermometer goes I forgot to mention I have a regular thermometer as well.

The skimmer is your call. The tiny ones that will fit in a biocube's chambers tend not to accomplish a lot. The AC115 is one that tends to get recommended, but mine rarely worked, even with steady water levels and completely died after a year. Innovative Marine makes one that will fit and may be a better option, but almost any skimmer is going to require that you cut a hole in the lid to be able to raise it high enough that it works correctly.

LivingStrong08

I agree with rollermonkey. The skimmer is not that great. In fact if you plan on skimming I would recommend finding a nice used one from the forums here or locally. I ran a 29 gallon Bio Cube and then upgraded. I loved it a lot. I would also look into doing an ATO system. Well worth it and easy to do

The skimmer is your call. The tiny ones that will fit in a biocube's chambers tend not to accomplish a lot. The AC115 is one that tends to get recommended, . Innovative Marine makes one that will fit and may be a better option, but almost any skimmer is going to require that you cut a hole in the lid to be able to raise it high enough that it works correctly.

what he said^^...I have the 115 and ended up dremeling a square in the hood to be able to raise it higher and produce a dryer skimmate. I have seen a few fellas messing around with the cad pls50. one is still working on modding it to fit and the other two seemed to have figured it out. Hob is another option or get an overflow and sump it and run what you want..hmmm....

Archived