Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Box 24" Duo

gsgentry

Now that I have had my Nano Box 24" Duo for a little bit, I figured I would go ahead and do a write up on my experience with Dave and Nano Box, as well as my initial thoughts on the light itself.

Specifications

• 24" Duo Custom w/ Legs
  • Upgraded Storm X Controller
  • 6 Channels (Left Blues, Left Whites, Right Blues, Right Whites, Violets, Moonlights)
  • PWM Fans
  • 4 LED Clusters (13 LED's per cluster... 2 warm white, 2 neutral white, 1 cyan, 2 violet, 4 royal blue and 2 blue)
  • 6 Additional Violet LED's
  • 2 Moonlights
  • 165 Watts Total
  • Temperature Probe

Communication

I originally emailed Dave asking a few questions about his lights. I was unclear of exactly what I wanted as far a specifics, but I knew what I wanted to accomplish. Much to my amazement, Dave responded right away. We went back and forth over a weeks time and he was always quick with a reply and/or answer. We must have literally swapped 100 emails during this time. Even questions that I thought may have been dumb, he was there to answer everything in great detail. I have never seen such amazing customer service from a company like this.

Ordering

I finally figured out what all the options were and what I wanted. I sent Dave the details and payment and he replied with a recap of everything and provided me with an approximate time that the light would be done. Couldn't have been any easier.

Construction

Upon initial inspection of the light, you can clearly see and feel that quality of it. It is apparent that he puts a ton of effort into his craftsmanship. It is part light and part art in my opinion. The fit and finish is amazing and even beyond everything I have heard from others.

Performance

Once I set the light up, I immediately cranked all channels up to 100%. Of course I had to. :) It literally was night and day difference between how the tanked looked now compared to with my previous light. It was amazing! This thing is freaking bright!!!!

So I messed around with the settings over the past week or so and found a setting that I like. I am sure this will change with different corals in the tank, but for now it's where I want it. Having the Storm X upgrade, there are 4,096 different positions for each of my 6 channels, thus giving me a total of 24,576 possible options. :o

Features

• Geolocated Sunrise/Sunset: This option that allows you to enter your Longitude and Latitude coordinates and it will automatically turn on at sunrise and turn off at sunset based on your area of the county. It also automatically adjusts for DST as well (providing you turn this option on)
  • Moon Phase Simulation: Automatically adjusts your moonlights, or channel(s) you designate for moonlights during night mode, to the current moons phase. This is also gathered based on the Long/Lat coordinates that you enter for your area. With this feature on, the moonlights will be at the full number you specify during a full moon, otherwise they will be dimmer based on the current phase.
  • SmoothRamp Dimming: Alows you to designate the amount of time that you want your LED's to ramp up and down.
  • SmoothRamp Delay: Allows you to delay a channel(s) for left to right effect on the tank or for certain channels to come on later than others during the ramping process. I currently have my blues and violets come on first, then 30 minutes later my whites fade in. And it does the opposite at sunset so my tank ends with the soothing blues at the end of the day.
  • SmoothRamp Clouds: Allows you to select a certain channel(s) to be used in cloud simulation. The designated channel will fade periodically based on the 0-10 frequency that you specify in the menu.
  • Lightning Storm Effects: Much like the cloud setting, you can also designate a 0-10 frequency on lighting storms too. This uses the channel(s) that you designated in the menu for the clouds. Makes for a pretty neat effect.
  • PWM Fan Control: If you have this option, it basically speeds the fans up the more your light is turned up. You can set the minimum and maximum fan speed in the menu. It is great because you really don't want/need your fans going at 100% when just your moonlights are on. It basically applies cooling on a "as needed" basis.
  • Temp Probe Display: Another feature that allows you to connect a temperature probe to the Storm and Storm X controller to be displayed on the controller screen. I will be using this for my freshly mixed saltwater prior to the system performing a AWC.

I wanted to cover some of these features because I feel not many people are aware of them. The only way I found out about most of them was by talking with Dave about "cool things" the light can do. And I do have to be totally honest here, the "current" Nano Box website sucks! Sorry Dave, but it is the truth. Good news is that a new one is in the works. :)

All in all I could not be happier with my light. It is everything I imaged and more! If you are on the fence about these lights, just do it!! You won't regret it!!!

I will conclude with some pictures of this amazing LED!!

DSCN2468_zps93d59d43.jpg

DSCN2467_zpsa4266670.jpg

DSCN2491_zps82e845cc.jpg

DSCN2518_zpsb75c7a23.jpg

DSCN2558_zps2a267a94.jpg

IMG_2678_zps01452ebb.jpg

IMG_2657_zpsc60a4d07.jpg

238962d8-9892-4ae6-9aac-35f5a3ff381f_zps

Congrats on the lighting,it looks killer. Dave is awesome to work with and puts out a sweet product and is always fast to reply w/ any questions.

Im jelly a lil, I have a duo and a tide and you have way more options for controlability than me. I may go for a 24" duo real soon here, gotta save some coin first.

Congrats again!

• 5 months later...

What was the purpose of adding the extra violet LEDs if you don't mind me asking?

PAR and PUR.

The only reasons violets are used over or tanks. They do little else for us since the violet light gets visual overpowered by the rest out the leds that fill out the lights spectrum.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
reefernanoman

Now that I have had my Nano Box 24" Duo for a little bit, I figured I would go ahead and do a write up on my experience with Dave and Nano Box, as well as my initial thoughts on the light itself.

Specifications

• 24" Duo Custom w/ Legs
  • Upgraded Storm X Controller
  • 6 Channels (Left Blues, Left Whites, Right Blues, Right Whites, Violets, Moonlights)
  • PWM Fans
  • 4 LED Clusters (13 LED's per cluster... 2 warm white, 2 neutral white, 1 cyan, 2 violet, 4 royal blue and 2 blue)
  • 6 Additional Violet LED's
  • 2 Moonlights
  • 165 Watts Total
  • Temperature Probe

Communication

I originally emailed Dave asking a few questions about his lights. I was unclear of exactly what I wanted as far a specifics, but I knew what I wanted to accomplish. Much to my amazement, Dave responded right away. We went back and forth over a weeks time and he was always quick with a reply and/or answer. We must have literally swapped 100 emails during this time. Even questions that I thought may have been dumb, he was there to answer everything in great detail. I have never seen such amazing customer service from a company like this.

Ordering

I finally figured out what all the options were and what I wanted. I sent Dave the details and payment and he replied with a recap of everything and provided me with an approximate time that the light would be done. Couldn't have been any easier.

Construction

Upon initial inspection of the light, you can clearly see and feel that quality of it. It is apparent that he puts a ton of effort into his craftsmanship. It is part light and part art in my opinion. The fit and finish is amazing and even beyond everything I have heard from others.

Performance

Once I set the light up, I immediately cranked all channels up to 100%. Of course I had to. :) It literally was night and day difference between how the tanked looked now compared to with my previous light. It was amazing! This thing is freaking bright!!!!

So I messed around with the settings over the past week or so and found a setting that I like. I am sure this will change with different corals in the tank, but for now it's where I want it. Having the Storm X upgrade, there are 4,096 different positions for each of my 6 channels, thus giving me a total of 24,576 possible options. :o

Features

• Geolocated Sunrise/Sunset: This option that allows you to enter your Longitude and Latitude coordinates and it will automatically turn on at sunrise and turn off at sunset based on your area of the county. It also automatically adjusts for DST as well (providing you turn this option on)
  • Moon Phase Simulation: Automatically adjusts your moonlights, or channel(s) you designate for moonlights during night mode, to the current moons phase. This is also gathered based on the Long/Lat coordinates that you enter for your area. With this feature on, the moonlights will be at the full number you specify during a full moon, otherwise they will be dimmer based on the current phase.
  • SmoothRamp Dimming: Alows you to designate the amount of time that you want your LED's to ramp up and down.
  • SmoothRamp Delay: Allows you to delay a channel(s) for left to right effect on the tank or for certain channels to come on later than others during the ramping process. I currently have my blues and violets come on first, then 30 minutes later my whites fade in. And it does the opposite at sunset so my tank ends with the soothing blues at the end of the day.
  • SmoothRamp Clouds: Allows you to select a certain channel(s) to be used in cloud simulation. The designated channel will fade periodically based on the 0-10 frequency that you specify in the menu.
  • Lightning Storm Effects: Much like the cloud setting, you can also designate a 0-10 frequency on lighting storms too. This uses the channel(s) that you designated in the menu for the clouds. Makes for a pretty neat effect.
  • PWM Fan Control: If you have this option, it basically speeds the fans up the more your light is turned up. You can set the minimum and maximum fan speed in the menu. It is great because you really don't want/need your fans going at 100% when just your moonlights are on. It basically applies cooling on a "as needed" basis.
  • Temp Probe Display: Another feature that allows you to connect a temperature probe to the Storm and Storm X controller to be displayed on the controller screen. I will be using this for my freshly mixed saltwater prior to the system performing a AWC.

I wanted to cover some of these features because I feel not many people are aware of them. The only way I found out about most of them was by talking with Dave about "cool things" the light can do. And I do have to be totally honest here, the "current" Nano Box website sucks! Sorry Dave, but it is the truth. Good news is that a new one is in the works. :)

All in all I could not be happier with my light. It is everything I imaged and more! If you are on the fence about these lights, just do it!! You won't regret it!!!

I will conclude with some pictures of this amazing LED!!

DSCN2468_zps93d59d43.jpg

DSCN2467_zpsa4266670.jpg

DSCN2491_zps82e845cc.jpg

DSCN2518_zpsb75c7a23.jpg

DSCN2558_zps2a267a94.jpg

IMG_2678_zps01452ebb.jpg

IMG_2657_zpsc60a4d07.jpg

238962d8-9892-4ae6-9aac-35f5a3ff381f_zps

What light were you using before this one?

What is the netting on the top of the tank? Going to be going rimless soon, and I want something like this.

I'm going to guess it's something along the lines of the BRS Screen top kit

Archived