Coral Vue Hydros

eclipse 12 filters

scubaguru

Sorry to be redundant, but I have just set up a eclipse 12 and had a question about filters. Do I need a skimmer? I have about 18 lbs LR and a power head to circulate the water. Also, I have read that taking the bio wheel off is good. Does this make a difference in the need for a skimmer?

One more question: How many fish would a tank this size be able to handle? Would 2 or 3 be too many?

Thanks a lot for any help! The last tank I had was a 75 gal. What a change!

For a tank this small, you don't need a skimmer, weekly water changes will do just fine. And you'd be able to keep two small fishes in there, three would be to many.

printerdown01

When I got my 12 gallon w/Eclipse hood (so not quite the Eclipse 12 but pretty close) I was in your exact situation... I was changing over to nanos from a 55 gallon! There were some serious changes... The fist thing you will probably figure out is that no one seems to have the level of lighting needed down!! Some people will tell you that it is plenty of light for clams others will tell you that you can't keep anything above shrooms... lol

You will be just fine without a skimmer if you stay at 2 fish! Other filtration notes: I run the BioWheel and the GAC pouches (I run GAC most of the time). I have NEVER had a problem with nitrates!! And my tank is very stable on the eclipse system w/o any additional help!

Thank you for your reply. I am adding my first fish today, pretty cool. Thought I would start with a perc. Any thoughts on additional species?

Archived