Cultivated Reef

Reef nutrition expired

dragonxflare

Hello everyone,

Few months ago, i Purchased Roti Feast, Phyto Feast, and Oyster feast for my reef tank, and noticed a couple days ago that all 3 have expired.

Roti Feast - "Best by 12/19/2013"

Phyto Feasr- "best by 12/13/2013"

Oyster Feast "Best by 2/16/2014"

Are these 3 bottles bad to use now? Thoughts?

It's a "best by" date, so as long as it doesn't smell funkier than normal, it's ok. But keep in mind, it will have lost some nutritional content. I've gone a month past the "best by" date. No longer than that though. If you can afford it, I'd buy all new product.

It's a "best by" date, so as long as it doesn't smell funkier than normal, it's ok. But keep in mind, it will have lost some nutritional content. I've gone a month past the "best by" date. No longer than that though. If you can afford it, I'd buy all new product.

Yepp, I'd smell it, and if it smelled spoiled, I would toss it.

Reef Nutrition food is super expensive so I would definitely use it up. I've had no problems with their foods expiring as long as they are properly refrigerated. As long as there is nothing growing in the food, it's probably good to go. Smelling for spoilage is pretty tough when it smells horrible to begin with ;)

My current batch of LRS frozen reef frenzy has been expired for the better part of 6 months and as long as it doesn't unfreeze and refreeze, it's just fine. While non-spoiled food is essential, IMO most "best by" dates are simple arbitrary dates so you spend more money.

Archived