Coral Vue Hydros

Mandarin in 20 gallon.

Icywater

Other forums are naysayers.. pfftt.. welcome to nano-reef :)

I keep 4 dragnets in a 20g. One I have had for almost 2 years now and I have a pair that is spawning. Feed often.. and feed a varied diet and you will be golden. :) If you want pods in the tank to offer some more variety... get some display macroalgae where the pods can safely breed.

When i feed the food goes everywhere the mandarin cant get the flying food. What can i do to make sure she eats?

Oh, turn off the pumps and feed :) Try and do it in a spot she likes and always in that spot and when the pumps go off she'll come looking for the food there.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other forums are naysayers.. pfftt.. welcome to nano-reef :)

I keep 4 dragnets in a 20g. One I have had for almost 2 years now and I have a pair that is spawning. Feed often.. and feed a varied diet and you will be golden. :) If you want pods in the tank to offer some more variety... get some display macroalgae where the pods can safely breed.

Zoalover, on 18 Feb 2014 - 16:00, said:snapback.png

When i feed the food goes everywhere the mandarin cant get the flying food. What can i do to make sure she eats?

Oh, turn off the pumps and feed :) Try and do it in a spot she likes and always in that spot and when the pumps go off she'll come looking for the food there.

She doesn't seem to eat as much is she full?

Btw, how do you get rid of diatoms?

Diatoms come from poor water quality (nitrates). Unfortunately the feeding requirements of mandarins often lead to less than ideal water conditions. They also come from "new tank syndrome". How old is the tank?

What does a fat mandarin look like? I'm not sure if sges fat enough she does look healthy tho.

Rolley polley like a sausage and fat all the way to the tail.

Here is a pic of one of mine.

DSC_0344_zps4be25589.jpg

DSC_0343_zpse2365cbc.jpg

Can i have a pic of his tummy?

Here is my spotted's beer belly. He is a huge pig though compared to all my other mandarins. You basically don't want any sort of indent. Some puge would be best.

popmandy_zps71287db9.jpg

He eats nutrama ova blood worms and sometimes mysis shrimp.

That sounds great to me! Not only is it eating it's eating a variety. Most people who say mandarins need large tanks and established tanks are going off the fact that they need a high population of copepods to survive long term and be healthy in an aquarium. If a mandarin is eating frozen foods then it will do great.

The mandarin was at the top gasping for air the clownfish was on the sand bed heavily breathing. After the water change they looked better. This morning everything looks okay but the water is still cloudy. What should I do today more water changes?

Parameters. Post them so we can help you better. Also if both fish are gasping, I suggest temporarily setting up a bin with a heater and airstone to house them while you figure out how to prevent a crash in the main DT. Cloudy water usually indicates the presence of a bacteria bloom.

Mandarin looks skinny not really skinny but skinny. I will have pics tommrow. Hes not eating anymore ova for sure... How can i make the ova more enticing to eat? The cloudyness (Spelt that wrong) went away. When i turned the lights on he was at the top having a hard time swiming and the hob filter and powerhead sucked him on. He wiggles and got out but was breathing heavily. I added a airstone to help. What can i do?

IK. Nirate was 10 last night now 1-5. Fish aren't gasping anymore they were last night. I don't know ammonia or nirite

Nitrate won't harm fish but ammonia and nitrite will. It sounds like the excess food caused a bacteria bloom which used up the oxygen in the water. The hardest part about keeping a mandarin is keeping the tank stable. I would only recommend them for mature tanks.

I would continue to do water changes and make sure the surface of the water is agitated. Maybe lower the level of the water so the filter splashes into it creating more bubbles. Since he isn't super skinny and starving, don't feed until the tank is stable again. We don't want to feed the bacteria further.

I would say your fish are starving for oxygen and possibly ammonia burns to the gills.

If you have some prime, I would add some of that too since we can't measure ammonia levels. It will detoxify ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for 72 hours while you slowly do water changes.

Archived