Coral Vue Hydros

Best food for Clownfish

D Z

I currently have an 8 gallon Nuvo 8. It currently houses a clownfish, torch coral, zoa, and CUC. I plan to add a goby/pistol in the future plus an assortment of other corals. I currently am feeding with LRS Reef Frenzy. This seems to work well. The torch seems to like the spot feedings and the clown does enjoy eating this as well. The problem is no matter how small of a feeding I do, I still end up with left over food in the water column. I think this would work well as a weekly feeding, right before a water change, but not as a daily feeding.

That brings up the question, what can I feed the clown(and eventually the goby) on a daily basis? I figure it will probably be either a flake of pellet food. And this I can probably regulate mush easier on the amount, therefore not leaving extra food to create excess nitrates? The question is, which flake/pellet would be best for a clownfish, and eventually a goby.

I was considering New Life Spectrum. Flake or pellet? Does the garlic really make a difference? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

In the wild, 30% of clownfish diet consist of different type of algae. I use ORA hatchery clownfish pallets, frozen mysis and brine. I also noticed that my clowns graze on algae covered spots.

Edit: add cyclopeeze as well.

Besides trying to eat my fingers when I am cleaning the glass, I have found that my clown pair will eat absolutely anything I have ever fed them. I use a Full Spectrum sinking pellet currently...they seem to get to them with little waste in the tank. I've had one for 12 years and the other for 10, so they must like it.

I mostly feed mine New Life Spectrum Thera A 1mm. They say they are sinking, but they float for a while. Rarely does any escape to the sand bed unless I put too many in. I also target feed these to my Duncan and Candy Cane corals once in a while, even my Acans will take the pellets.

First off, thank you to everyone for the replys. I feel that maybe I did not get my original point across very well.

I already have LRS Reef Frenzy, which is very comparable to Rods. I believe that Reef Frenzy already includes Mysis, brine and Cyclops and I intend to continue to use this at least 1 time a week. The problem I see with using it more than 1-2 times per week is it does not get fully eaten by 1 - 2 fish in a small 8 gallon aquarium, which is why I think a pellet would be better for the daily feeding. It would be easier to control how much gets added. For example, I could only drop in 1 - 2 pellets at a time.

In the wild, 30% of clownfish diet consist of different type of algae. I use ORA hatchery clownfish pallets, frozen mysis and brine. I also noticed that my clowns graze on algae covered spots.

Edit: add cyclopeeze as well.

Would ORA hatchery pellets be good for a goby as well. I would like to have my daily food source be good for both my current clown and the future goby.

I think a slow sinking pellet would work good also, try the brand fullspectrum

Besides trying to eat my fingers when I am cleaning the glass, I have found that my clown pair will eat absolutely anything I have ever fed them. I use a Full Spectrum sinking pellet currently...they seem to get to them with little waste in the tank. I've had one for 12 years and the other for 10, so they must like it.

By this, do you happen to mean New Life Spectrum? Every time I do a search for Full Spectrum, New Life Spectrum is the only result.

I mostly feed mine New Life Spectrum Thera A 1mm. They say they are sinking, but they float for a while. Rarely does any escape to the sand bed unless I put too many in. I also target feed these to my Duncan and Candy Cane corals once in a while, even my Acans will take the pellets.

This is what I have been leaning towards. I was just a little overwhelmed with the selection from New Life Spectrum. They seem to have a multitude of options that would work for a clownfish. This may be what I end up going for.

Any other input??

Archived