Innovative Marine Aquariums

What is this?

orbit

it could very well be.. hard to tell from the picture.

IMO hydroids aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be, I've got them and never seen any damage done by them in any way, just an interesting life form in our tanks... maybe mine are weak sauce, idk..

Sorry about the pic.The LR this thing is on is towards the back of my tank so I had to bust out an acrobatic move and hold for a minute.

Hopefully mind is a weak sauce...

I just don't wait around until it jumps to another rock....

Sorry about the pic.The LR this thing is on is towards the back of my tank so I had to bust out an acrobatic move and hold for a minute.

actually, your pics are better than 95% of ID thread pics.. :lol:

they're just tough to make out because they are so small, it's hard to see what they really look like and what their structure is.

if you're worried, you can pull that rock out and superglue over anything you're concerned about, but if it's hydroids they're likely already spread all over your tank and there isn't much you can do about it.

Thanks guys for your prompt replies.

I'm stuck at Starbucks to study but as soon as I get home, I'll use up my Superglue gel on these guys.

The area they cover now is only about the size of one half of a dime. So that shouldn't be too difficult.

I think I might even use a torch-lighter (the BBQ lighter) on them as well.

Maybe an overkill, but I'm a newbie and that's what newbies are supposed to do, ha!

They looked exactly like tiny tiny hydroids.... Kinda sitting on top of each other.

So after my study session, Wife and I used the lighter to burn off the area on the LR for a good 10 minute.

Then I dabbed super glue (gel type) on the area as well.

Waited it about 5 minutes before I put LR back in the tank.

No sight of hydriods so far on that area.

Where it came from? I have no idea. But I think it's from a new LR added about a week ago....

They looked exactly like tiny tiny hydroids.... Kinda sitting on top of each other.

So after my study session, Wife and I used the lighter to burn off the area on the LR for a good 10 minute.

Then I dabbed super glue (gel type) on the area as well.

Waited it about 5 minutes before I put LR back in the tank.

No sight of hydriods so far on that area.

Where it came from? I have no idea. But I think it's from a new LR added about a week ago....

it can come in on anything from frags to snails to whatever.. but many times it comes in on either rock or macroalgaes.. I got it when I put some chaeto in my fuge..

like I said, it's really not the devil like everyone makes it out to be, I've found mine to be pretty harmless (but there are countless species, I'm sure some are worse than others).. it's really cool if you can find them in the medusa stage swimming around in low flow areas..

Still no sight of them... I'm about 90% convinced that they are gone, but I should turn my background LR to see the back side someday. Thanks GHill762!

Archived