Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

Spiderguardnano

Welp, my new Radion XR15w and reef link should be here in a few days. I found out that I can integrate a DropCam brand camera in with my reef link and view my tank remotely 24/7... Still looking into the details as there is very little online or in forums about the reef link let alone the DropCam. There are several versions of the Dropcam( pro and non pro), unsure if both work. Price ranges from 150-200.00... Love to hear from someone who might know anything about this.

please do a review on the xr15

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

Will do, should be here Wednesday. I was concerned about coverage, but they include both the 80 and 120 degree lenses. Means your getig 80.00 in lenses in addition to the ones installed!

Steensj2004

sweet grab. can't wait to see it. keep us posted on the dropcam. that would be an awesome feature.

Thanks! DropCam might have to wait, somebody lost an aluminum ladder on the freeway this morning..... Into the front of my brand.....new....car......

Thanks! DropCam might have to wait, somebody lost an aluminum ladder on the freeway this morning..... Into the front of my brand.....new....car......

Damn.

lilmatty5dimes

oh crap. hope your ok and you have uninsured/full coverage and gap. that sucks.

Steensj2004

oh crap. hope your ok and you have uninsured/full coverage and gap. that sucks.

Yeah,

I have insurance, but still sucks. No injury to me, either. Now I need my light so I feel better.

nismo_sky32

Sorry to hear about your car. At least you weren't hurt. A car is repairable. Looking forward to a review as well. Thinking about this light over my ADA 60f

Steensj2004
Sorry to hear about your car. At least you weren't hurt. A car is repairable. Looking forward to a review as well. Thinking about this light over my ADA 60f

Thanks!

Hoping the light and Reeflink will be here on Wednesday, I will get a review up ASAP!

Steensj2004

Welp, I guess my light is supposed to be here today. Ecotech was apparently running behind and didn't ship the light until yesterday. Will try and get a review/ update on here tonight

Steensj2004

LFS just called!!!! My light and ReefLink are heeeeeeere! Now if I can get out of the inside of this 5"/54 naval deck gun and get my ass over to the LFS this might turn into a good Birthday!

lilmatty5dimes

LFS just called!!!! My light and ReefLink are heeeeeeere! Now if I can get out of the inside of this 5"/54 naval deck gun and get my ass over to the LFS this might turn into a good Birthday!

this is almost 2 hours old i'm hoping your getting it hung up now and will have a review in 2 hours. lol cant wait to see these.

Steensj2004

Well I just got them home about 25 minutes ago. The reeflink, Radion, and my MP10 are already hooked up and ready to rock. The light hasnt been hung yet but it will soon. Now real review as of yet, however these things are awesome. Seamless integration and amazing quality( as usual). Some teasers....

Ready to be unboxed( LFS even gave me some free glue, I love this stuff. On of the better ones I've used, but not the best)!

post-79843-0-88510000-1405627550_thumb.jpeg

All opened and looking oh so beautiful...

post-79843-0-41581800-1405627573_thumb.jpeg

Light Bottom...

post-79843-0-93699000-1405627557_thumb.jpeg

Linking Reeflink, upgrading firmware, and setting up(also downloading Iphone App)...

post-79843-0-46182300-1405627564_thumb.jpeg

Final conclussion shall be made after the light is hung, but that being said....I'm in love. Until you've changed your MP10's and Lights setting from your phone via Reeflink( or any other remote programmer out there) anywhere you have internet, you haven't lived.... I am sitting here messing with my dang MP10 and not even hanging my light yet, hahahaha.

Steensj2004

I hope you like the new light man.

That is yet to be determined. I was skeptical already about the coverage, holding the light over the tank it looks like it will be ok....we will see.

come on get to hanging it. lol your living everyone dream.

Here is an update....

My original plan went out the window. I asked our machinist to make the adjustable toggles like in the Ecotech hanging kit, only using screws as opposed to the spring loaded deal. He should have them done in a few days. Other than that here is the makeshift hanging kit.

Supporting lengths cut:

post-79843-0-88103500-1405637896_thumb.jpeg

One support done!

post-79843-0-76650300-1405637903_thumb.jpeg

Hanging kit complete, hangs level and now I am waiting on my buddy to get here so he can hold the light while I attach the top!

post-79843-0-35793000-1405637910_thumb.jpeg

Steensj2004

Boom! Hung! The tank is actually not centered, so we centered the light and will scootch the tank this weekend... I will review this light and ReefLink in a week or so after I see the performance and coral reaction.

post-79843-0-51447400-1405643007_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-86547900-1405643046_thumb.jpg

Nice hanging setup. I tried to find the stuff to make my own like that, but I couldn't find a crimper or other parts at HD to make it.

Steensj2004
Nice hanging setup. I tried to find the stuff to make my own like that, but I couldn't find a crimper or other parts at HD to make it.
I use a good quality pair of Kobalt pliers with a cutter. I use the cutter to cut the wire and also to crimp the Ferrells. It works well, just don't crimp to hard or you cut through the Ferrell and the wire, lol. I did a crap job to be honest... But I have some super thin tensile wire at the shop I gonna re-mount this with.

I also use Lowes.....

Steensj2004

Ecotech Marine:Radion XR15w Review

I received my Ecotech Marine, Radion XR15w the other night, I had been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this new gem. My hopes were very high, as I am a staunch supporter of Ecotech and their products. I also decided to take advantage of the Reeflink as there was a 50% off promotion when purchasing any Vortech or Radion. The items arrived, here is a breakdown of what I thought.

Unboxing:

As usual, Ecotech stayed true to making an excellent looking product/s. Both items were very well made, craftsmanship was outstanding. The Reeflink was much smaller than I had anticipated, looked almost like an Apple product. The Radion stayed true to the traditional Radion look, nothing to impressive. Looks like you took a bandsaw and cut a full-sized Radion in half. Every cable needed was included, as well as the usual hanging adapters for the Radion.

Starting Up:

The startup was very straight forward, nothing to confusing. In classic Ecotech manner, the items linked quickly and without much effort on my end. Directions were simple, and overall very complete. I ran into some issues early on as I was unable to get Eco-live from recognizing my Vortech and Light. I finally realized that my Old radian was still associated with my account and after deleting it I was able to add the other equipment easily Updates were fast and automatic.

Performance:

Reeflink- Pretty straight forward, nothing exciting here either. I first plugged the Reeflink into the computer and updated the firmware. After that it was a simple and straightforward setup. It gives you the option to use internet on a hard line or wirelessly. I plugged mine directly into my router as I decided to keep it on my entertainment center next to our router. Control is excellent, I can program all features of my light and Vortech from my phone, anywhere. My Fiance was home today for lunch and I was messing with the light. She texted me and said she thought it was messed up, lol. Very little lag between inputs from my phone and the change on the equipment. The communication time from phone, to Reeflink, to Radion/Vortech is only a few seconds.

Radion- Setup was as easy as any other light out of the box. I decided to hang the light, but cannot seem to bring myself to spend 45.00 on a mounting kit. One trip to Lowes and 10.0 later I had all the 1/16 wire and ferrels I needed to make a hanging kit. Took me all of about 20 minutes to construct, although un-adjustable I ended up with enough left over to raise and lower if needed. Ecotech also included both the regular AND wide angle TIR lenses. The wide angle is pre installed and the normal lens is inside the box.

I will admit, the coverage isn't as wide as my NanoBox Duo, it does however cover(barely) the 24" span of my Innovative Marine Nuvo 16. Coverage is complete, but with zero room to spare. All my corals are responding very well to the new light, and frankly I prefer the color and programming interface over the Duo.

Conclussion:

Ecotech has made another great product, and it has met my expectations. I think that this little light will be a big hit for people looking to cover a tank, but don't need a full Radion. You could easily combine a full sized Radion with a XR15w, and save spending the additional 200.00 for the full size when it isn't needed. The Reeflink is a fun gadget, and I will be soon getting a Dropcam Pro and adding that to the network, which will allow me to see my tank remotely on my phone, anywhere! I feel that I can safely give this one a thumbs up!

Pros:

-Great look/design

-Impressive coverage for a single puck

-Quality

-Colors are great

-Program ability is amazing

Cons:

-Price

-Complicated mounting options/ Expensive accessories.

Steensj2004

I am experiencing some issues with a few of my corals....one in particular is the green and purple leptestrea....i will loose my shiz if it dies. May be getting to much light with the UV and new light.....moved it, will see how it does.

Archived