inTank Media Baskets

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

I run 3-4 gallon changes weekly,sometimes twice a week. Tell Dale ,"Pete" sent yah! Lol. He has some melt yo face chalices right now....

I cannot get my purple hornets or blue hornets to open up to save my life.... Dipped em in revive today, hope it helps.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

Well, she is up and running, here are my thoughts.....

Cannot believe that the end f the box was damaged, they packaging was done very well....shame on you UPS!

post-79843-0-57861800-1400883607_thumb.j

Out of the box, constructions is top notch! It is seamed, but the seams are very clean and well done. Collection cup is supurb, no complaints on the construction. The pump does need a firm push to seat. You need to press on the bottom of the pump and you will feel it seat the rest of the way.post-79843-0-74989200-1400883596_thumb.j

Dropped right into the chamber, no problems at all. I have it running with the cup a hair higher than it came out of the box.

post-79843-0-19380000-1400883595_thumb.j

Albeit, I am very happy with the skimmer. My DIY cover dampens some of the sound it puts out. IF you aren't sitting quietly you don't notice it, you can hear it run pretty easily, a definate drawback. It sounds like the impeller is rattling? We will see how it does the next few weeks.

post-79843-0-90011700-1400883566_thumb.j

post-79843-0-04779500-1400883573_thumb.j

Pros:

-Excellent Construction

-Perfect fit

-Already has a good foam head and seems to show promise

-Nearly 0 microbubbles from the start

Cons:

-A bit loud, I wonder if something is still loose in the pump...... Maybe it will quiet down over the next few days

Let me know if you find a way to quiet down the pump.

Is it putting any micro bubbles into your tank?

Leroy is good... But his prices and stock coral wise don't compare to dale in quality IMHO. At least in SPS and corals... Fish is another story....Dale doesn't keep a ton of fish, but he keeps good ones...scored my Mimic Blenny at a price nobody could touch, even online. If you make it out tell him Pete sent you!

I think I'm gonna make a trip out there this weekend. Just wondering though, is this place an actual store or a house? I only ask because I have seen some places advertised as a store and when I show up it turns out to be someone's house.

Steensj2004

Well, some good and bad news. Skimmer is producing good foam head after a lot of tuning! It has quieted down a ton as well(still pretty loud though).

Bad news is some freaking how my pistol shrimp killed ,my two spot. He ventured inside the den, I heard two - four loud snaps and he stopped moving. He floated around twitching for a while, never recovered..... Didn't think it was possible for that little pistol to kill him?!

post-79843-0-44420900-1401148008_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-94833200-1401148015_thumb.jpg

Steensj2004

Yeah, not mad, just a bummer.

Skimmer is still kicking it hard. Starting to push foam into the cup! Changing my mind about this thing little by little.... Still wanna know about the shaft, lid oring, and lid ring ....

Steensj2004

Some goodies at my LFS, thinking about picking up some of these chalices.....

Skimmer stopes pushing foam this morning, not sure why. Had some green tea colored skimmate though.

post-79843-0-01981600-1401186900_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-13564400-1401186928_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-12303500-1401186968_thumb.jpg

Those look like nice chalices. You should do it!

Had you fed or added something to the tank last night? Oil from food or potentially your hands can drop skimmate production temporarily.

Steensj2004

Didn't add anything...... Wonder what it could be. I'll check it again once I get home. I am bummed, it was looking so good before bed...

Steensj2004

Update: The skimmer set off like crazy, skimming away right after my water change today. We will see how well it does over the next 24 hours, but the noise has cut significantly and the micro-bubbles are calming down slowly..

Bought a Purple Fire Fish to replace my Two spot Goby.....hopefully he stays away from the pistol shrimp. Apparently my tank has a ,"Stand Your Ground" law on home invasions.....lol :lol:

The Pocillipora seems to be dying....some thing knocked it over several times(should have glued it down but wasn't sure I wanted it to stay where it was....)

Figure it's about time for some Pictures!!!

Valida growth:

post-79843-0-57989600-1401314366_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-96064300-1401314376_thumb.jpeg

Monti Growth(this has taken off and grown this much in a week or two):

post-79843-0-37712000-1401314344_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-46505000-1401314356_thumb.jpeg

Feeding Time Buddies( The urchin photo bombed,lol):

post-79843-0-20843200-1401314322_thumb.jpeg

Purple Hornets:

post-79843-0-27554600-1401314308_thumb.jpeg

Sexy Time!!

post-79843-0-40661400-1401314335_thumb.jpeg

Update: The skimmer set off like crazy, skimming away right after my water change today. We will see how well it does over the next 24 hours, but the noise has cut significantly and the micro-bubbles are calming down slowly..

Bought a Purple Fire Fish to replace my Two spot Goby.....hopefully he stays away from the pistol shrimp. Apparently my tank has a ,"Stand Your Ground" law on home invasions.....lol :lol:

The Pocillipora seems to be dying....some thing knocked it over several times(should have glued it down but wasn't sure I wanted it to stay where it was....)

Figure it's about time for some Pictures!!!

Valida growth:

attachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139467'>image(149).jpegattachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139468'>image(148).jpeg

Monti Growth(this has taken off and grown this much in a week or two):

attachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139465'>image(151).jpegattachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139466'>image(150).jpeg

Feeding Time Buddies( The urchin photo bombed,lol):

attachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139463'>image(153).jpeg

Purple Hornets:

attachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139462'>image(154).jpeg

Sexy Time!!

attachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139464'>image(152).jpeg

Is that a purple valida?

Steensj2004

Is that a purple valida?

Purple with green tips and polyps.... as a slight hint of a blueish green too in places.

Purple with green tips and polyps.... as a slight hint of a blueish green too in places.

Looks a lot like mine.

post-84012-0-86746400-1401384102_thumb.jpg

Steensj2004

Looks a lot like mine.

Nice poly extension.....my Valida shows good extension but nothing like that(except when I feed)

Anyone know anything about this reactor?

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_Aquatic_Tumbler_Media_Reactor_Biopellet_Reactors-CPR-CR06120-FIFRISBP-vi.html

I really wanna run bio-pellets to polish off my water to perfect( I maintain a slight amount of nitrates), but

Measurements are smaller than that of the Ghost skimmer, and so it will fit in the other chamber. height is 11" which is the same as the IM reactor, but it is 1/2 the price. Question I have is lots of people say you HAVE to run a skimmer with bio-pellets(which my ghost skimmer is broken in now). Do you really need to have the outlet on the reactor feeding directly into the skimmer intake? Or can I run my skimmer in the second chamber on the right and the reactor in the second chamber on the left?

Steensj2004

Meh, went ahead and ordered it anyway, order placed for:

1- CPR nano Reactor

1- Poly-Lab Reef Roids(small)

1- 250mL Bag Warner Marine ecoBaK Bio-Pellets( unsure on the brand but it was highly rated)

Guess we will find out what the deali-oh is next week when it all arrives.

Don't need to have the reactor intake feeding directly to the skimmer. have seen setups that don't feed directly and are successful. I may look into that reactor as my minimax pump seized. I ordered a new one last week, but I can't get them to confirm that it shipped yet, the tracking # they gave me doesn't work. Need to call them tomorrow.

Skimmer stopes pushing foam this morning, not sure why. Had some green tea colored skimmate though.

I'm heading up there tomorrow. I gotta check this place out!

Just got back. You were right, he does have some sweet pieces. Picked up a little frag, not sure what it is exactly, it it looks awesome!

Steensj2004

Looking great man! Make sure to send me growth pictures in a few months :)

-Dave

Will do, there are some is post# 337. I am going to start a file where I can document pictures of each thing, easier to keep track and post on here.

There is no doubt that your lights are killer. I bleached a few corals that came from under Radions turned waaaay up. This Duo definitely has the goods to bring to the table and deliver. My corals love this thing!

Holy cow, that 1st chalice is sickk, how much was the lfs asking for?

How are you liking the ghost Im skimmer?

Archived