SaltCritters.com

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Welp, been playing with my phone camera and the editor program on this computer....the first 3 pics are the most recent ones, looks like I can edit these some to clear them up....post-79843-0-75465500-1397408887_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-32419300-1397408894_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-62627800-1397408900_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-41396100-1397408908_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-41396100-1397408908_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-14962000-1397408918_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-84969200-1397408936_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-25096800-1397408978_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, had never thought about that....wonder if you are right, would make sense to me. I have little patience for finicky equipment, I jsut couldn't handle the micro-bubbles, and my corals were pissed. Anyway, with the amount of water changes I do, I really didn't NEED a skimmer, was more just an extra boost to nutrient control. I am still changing 8 gallons a week, which is 50%(actually probably more like 60% as there isn't exactly 16 gallons of water, more like 14), and I do it in 2 separate water changes.I feel my nutrient export is pretty good overall. If I go back to a skimmer it will probably be a HOB type as someone mentioned before.....

You would be surprised how little water is actually in the tank. Just looking at your tank you may have1-2 lbs more or less the same amount of live rock in your tank as I do in mine. I had to do an emergency water change, and changed probably all but 1or 2 gallons the most (just left a few inches in there to keep my clam submerged) and it only came to about 8.5 gallons, leaving the total water volume to about 10 gallons. I have 20 lbs live sand and about 14 lbs of pretty porous live rock. With all the media and equipment it really takes away the volume quickly. I would say you're changing more like 75% a week.

Steensj2004

You would be surprised how little water is actually in the tank. Just looking at your tank you may have1-2 lbs more or less the same amount of live rock in your tank as I do in mine. I had to do an emergency water change, and changed probably all but 1or 2 gallons the most (just left a few inches in there to keep my clam submerged) and it only came to about 8.5 gallons, leaving the total water volume to about 10 gallons. I have 20 lbs live sand and about 14 lbs of pretty porous live rock. With all the media and equipment it really takes away the volume quickly. I would say you're changing more like 75% a week.

Meh, maybe I should cut back a hair :lol: , I tend to be a water change freak. :rolleyes:

I am strongly considering the Zeovit ,"Nano Power" kit, apparently their stuff is absolutely killer. Anyone have some experience with this stuff? Been reading online most the day about their products and am having a hard time deciding.

On top of it I am considering changing tanks, early I know, but I am having an awful time not having a sump... :( I may snag up a Mr. Aqua 17.1 gallon low iron tank and have it drilled. This would give me a bit more display(lack of AIO), as well as somewhere to hide/have more equipment such as a GOOD skimmer. I am dead set on the ,"sleek" look and don't want HOB skimmers,reactors, etc. Besides, most nano-equipment tends to be lacking.Who knows, I am horrible about making a decision, usually take me a month of research and price crunching before I will pull the trigger(I am a cheap-wad at heart).

Hmm, had never thought about that....wonder if you are right, would make sense to me. I have little patience for finicky equipment, I jsut couldn't handle the micro-bubbles, and my corals were pissed. Anyway, with the amount of water changes I do, I really didn't NEED a skimmer, was more just an extra boost to nutrient control. I am still changing 8 gallons a week, which is 50%(actually probably more like 60% as there isn't exactly 16 gallons of water, more like 14), and I do it in 2 separate water changes.I feel my nutrient export is pretty good overall. If I go back to a skimmer it will probably be a HOB type as someone mentioned before.....

How well does that skimmer you are using fit in your 16?

It works but is not the greatest, only pulls tea looking stuff, good foam production tho. i'm in the works of trying to make it darker

Good information to know, with the amount of rock i have in mine its probably like 4 gallons lol

Steensj2004

It works but is not the greatest, only pulls tea looking stuff, good foam production tho. i'm in the works of trying to make it darker

Good information to know, with the amount of rock i have in mine its probably like 4 gallons lol

I wanted to go with something different and eye catching this time around, hence the three mountain look. I actually horribly regret going this extreme with the aquascape. I am having a hard time with placing frags, flow the way I want it is a nightmare, and so on. I Love your setup, people don't like the pile look so much....I on the other hand prefer it as it leaves frag placement so much easier IMHO.

Also, where do you have the nano skimmer at? looking at the dimensions I cannot find where you have it at?

I wanted to go with something different and eye catching this time around, hence the three mountain look. I actually horribly regret going this extreme with the aquascape. I am having a hard time with placing frags, flow the way I want it is a nightmare, and so on. I Love your setup, people don't like the pile look so much....I on the other hand prefer it as it leaves frag placement so much easier IMHO.

Yea, we're kind of limited to what we can aquascape in a tank so small. I like the setup, its probably the only reason my 6 line wrasse hasn't jumped out of the tank yet lol I just picked up 3 more coral today, still room for maybe 1-2 more ;)

Steensj2004

Yea, we're kind of limited to what we can aquascape in a tank so small. I like the setup, its probably the only reason my 6 line wrasse hasn't jumped out of the tank yet lol I just picked up 3 more coral today, still room for maybe 1-2 more ;)

oooooo, what didja GET?!

I have my eye heavily on some Blue Oregon Torte, Strawberry Shortcake, Red Dragon, Superman Monti, and Tequila Sunrise Monti at my LFS.....all of which are stupid pricey for a nano tank,lmao

i picked up a real nice trachyphyllia/scolli(something along those lines lol) even tho i have one in the tank i couldnt resist the price $40. Has amazing colors and looked really healthy.

trach_zps4549baf0.jpg

A Mystic Montipora(pretty close to a suuperman monti

mysticmonti_zpsb223d97a.jpg

and a 2 Duncan with 2 heads(hasn't opened up yet hence no pic)

Got all of them for $80 after tax

You have your eye on some nice pieces there...can't wait to see the new additions!

I guess you learn something everyday, it definitely resembles a wellsophyllia much mite than anything, I was just unsure about what it really was. Well that's what I got, I feel I got a good deal on it. As far as the skimmer goes, I'll try and post some pics of the foam production later this week if you are still considering getting a skimmer

Steensj2004

I guess you learn something everyday, it definitely resembles a wellsophyllia much mite than anything, I was just unsure about what it really was. Well that's what I got, I feel I got a good deal on it. As far as the skimmer goes, I'll try and post some pics of the foam production later this week if you are still considering getting a skimmer

Welsos tend to be pricey, any open brain that pretty is definitely worth 40.00 !!

Steensj2004

Welp.... Got tired of trying to arrange stuff and get the flow I wanted. Unique scrapes are all well and good but the standard,"Pile" method makes placing corals soooooo much easier IMHO. Traded some Zoas and Dragons Breath macro for a purple with free polyp bonsai and some Tequila Sunrise Monti. Here are some pics . albeit I will change this slightly, I am able to have my SPS in the flow they want. For some reason my last scape was a nightmare and decimated / broke up flow

post-79843-0-63536600-1397600503_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-25828700-1397600513_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-25695200-1397600528_thumb.jpg

Welp.... Got tired of trying to arrange stuff and get the flow I wanted. Unique scrapes are all well and good but the standard,"Pile" method makes placing corals soooooo much easier IMHO. Traded some Zoas and Dragons Breath macro for a purple with free polyp bonsai and some Tequila Sunrise Monti. Here are some pics . albeit I will change this slightly, I am able to have my SPS in the flow they want. For some reason my last scape was a nightmare and decimated / broke up flow

Wow man, what a difference! I really like that scape a lot. you should be able to get some good flow in there for sure. I just wanted to report back on the performance of the aqua eura use nano II incase you were still thinking about considering a skimmer. Pictures speak louder than words so here it is....you can decide for yourself whether or not its worth it. I personally think its good

skim_zpsd552010f.jpg

Steensj2004

Wow man, what a difference! I really like that scape a lot. you should be able to get some good flow in there for sure. I just wanted to report back on the performance of the aqua eura use nano II incase you were still thinking about considering a skimmer. Pictures speak louder than words so here it is....you can decide for yourself whether or not its worth it. I personally think its good

skim_zpsd552010f.jpg

Thanks, I am so much more happy with this scape and the flow I am getting.

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Hard to believe that a 40.00 skimmer can run this well? Do you have it resting on the bottom of the chamber? How loud is it?

Steensj2004

Lets get some FTS with the light :)

Doing great!

-Dave

Thanks! SPS frags are not yet exactly where I want them, however they were pretty pissed off, so I left them be for a day as opposed to stressing them more.

Here is a picture of the tank with that hot piece of Duo above it for yah Dave! Also Captain grouchy pants was angry because I wasn't feeding him,lol.post-79843-0-17124700-1397683137_thumb.jpegpost-79843-0-06653000-1397683145_thumb.jpeg

Steensj2004

Some more pictures after the move!

The rock is starting to show pink and green coraline all over the place at this point, which I am excited about. It is taking off quickly.

post-79843-0-36802500-1397684513_thumb.jpeg

Caught the Mimic out an about, he isn't very photogenic,lol. On a side note the monti that bleached(in the background) is coming back nicely.

post-79843-0-33823200-1397684536_thumb.jpeg

The Aleveopora and Acans are LOVING their new spots, as well as the Frogspawn(and his sexy buddy). Can't tell in the picture, but the Light Blue and red/orange Acan has 3 heads under the main polyp :)

post-79843-0-34840100-1397684529_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-31543300-1397684521_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-27816000-1397684545_thumb.jpeg

The new additions, Bonsai and Monti, these are hard to get good pics of......well lets be honest, everything is hard to get pictures of when shooting with a Iphone, lol

post-79843-0-74998600-1397684571_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-13374500-1397684562_thumb.jpeg

Monti Caps have started to get going as well, hoping this multi-color trio will grow into a sweet set!

post-79843-0-79244100-1397684862_thumb.jpeg

Can anyone suggest a decent camera for taking tank pics that won't completely molest me cash wise? Money spent on anything but frags is a waste! :P

Late but for what it is worth..... I agree. IM 16 water volume really depends on amount of substrate, live rock etc. I am estimating water volume in my display tank to be around 9g. Certainly there is more, soaked in sand and such but that's about it. Skimmers are hit and miss affair, especially in nano domain. And that cheapo skimmer with some tweaking seems to do really well, considering its price and somewhat mixed reviews. Great job and pics btw

Steensj2004

Late but for what it is worth..... I agree. IM 16 water volume really depends on amount of substrate, live rock etc. I am estimating water volume in my display tank to be around 9g. Certainly there is more, soaked in sand and such but that's about it. Skimmers are hit and miss affair, especially in nano domain. And that cheapo skimmer with some tweaking seems to do really well, considering its price and somewhat mixed reviews. Great job and pics btw

I think you are right,I think I am probably around 10 gallons. Which means I am changing about 80% a week... Which is excessive. I Have cut back to 3-4 a week. I am going to order that skimmer this weekend...gonna give it a shot! I want the filtration with the SPS heavy tank. Thanks for the info, and the compliment. This is coming along better than I hoped, besides bleaching my milli... But it's coming back well!

Thanks, I am so much more happy with this scape and the flow I am getting.

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Hard to believe that a 40.00 skimmer can run this well? Do you have it resting on the bottom of the chamber? How loud is it?

I have mine all the way as far up as it can go just due to the fact the collection cup can be hard to remove when it is hidden in the chamber, water level remains the same either way so its a matter of personal choice on this one. The skimmer was noticeably loud at first until I did the meshmod on it. I'm not gonna say it is DEAD silent now but definitely tolerable. I used to be able to hear it at night in another room but now i can only hear it when im next to the tank.

Steensj2004

I have mine all the way as far up as it can go just due to the fact the collection cup can be hard to remove when it is hidden in the chamber, water level remains the same either way so its a matter of personal choice on this one. The skimmer was noticeably loud at first until I did the meshmod on it. I'm not gonna say it is DEAD silent now but definitely tolerable. I used to be able to hear it at night in another room but now i can only hear it when im next to the tank.

Stopped at the LFS today after work, he is checking on pricing for the skimmer, I want to have him order it as long as it won't cost me much more than the Aqua Euro Nano on Marinedepot.com.... What exactly is the,"Mesh Mod?" It has something to do with modifying the impeller,right?

As to water changes..... I am at about 4-5g a week. So more or less where you are at right now. Not sure if it is enough tho (in my case at least) due to quite a bio-load produced by large mantis shrimp (5inches) and two medium size fish (unfortunately 1 of Wyoming clowns committed, unforseen suicide by jumping out of his "fish bowl"). Keep us posted on your skimmer ventures.

Steensj2004

As to water changes..... I am at about 4-5g a week. So more or less where you are at right now. Not sure if it is enough tho (in my case at least) due to quite a bio-load produced by large mantis shrimp (5inches) and two medium size fish (unfortunately 1 of Wyoming clowns committed, unforseen suicide by jumping out of his "fish bowl"). Keep us posted on your skimmer ventures.

Gotcha!

I am sticking to the 4-5 gallon range right now... I was concerned I was over feeding, etc but barely readable nitrates(if any at all, its so hard to tell I'm calling them zero) and zero Phosphates. I anticipated a higher bioload based on my stocking list....can't complain though!

PH is staying up on its own, I was afraid that it was staying to low, may have been new tank issues. Anyway, levels are looking great, corals are happy, and I can sit back as stare while drinking a beer!

I plan to order the skimmer this weekend, or as soon as my LFS guy gets back to me on the price, I will keep you updated.

Archived