Coral Vue Hydros

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Some pics,

rock flower

Yuma

Hi-fin

Fire shrimp

Apparently the sexy shrimp already found the rock flower. Was afraid the rock flower wasn't doing well at first, but he has attached and is doing well. Although the sexy shrimp are bothering him, lol

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put an aquamaxx hob-1 on my tank. It is not too loud but definitely louder than the IM skimmer. You can check it out in my tank thread. It also takes away from the clean look of the tank, but I purchased solely based on performance reviews since I am trying to keep SPS. There are sometimes sacrifices that need to be made. Microbubbles were gone literally after a few hours, and after 1 week I am very happy with it. Another reason I went with an HOB is for the added water volume. In our small tanks I feel any added volume will help with stability.

Steensj2004

I change out 4 gallons twice a week for water changes, running CPE,Puregen, and a fuge, if I slap a skimmer on it will be just for a little extra nutrient removal. I'm not worried about water quality all that much, just another toy that will have a little benefit. I have seen some of the best tanks around that are all SPS with LR, a few power heads, sand, and a skimmer that are drop dead crazy. The extra 3/4 of a gallon a HOB might get me isn't much of an advantage IMHO.

I had the IM skimmer and couldn't handle the micro bubbles lingering, and could not get it tuned in. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but it would overflow randomly, then not produce any skim mate for weeks, so I do not recommend that one, but others have had luck with it. People also run the Tunze 9002 in the center chamber, but you need a precise ATO. If you're keeping up with that WC schedule, then the skimmer isn't necessary as you stated, but it could allow you to reduce the # of WC's if you get a good performer.

Steensj2004
I had the IM skimmer and couldn't handle the micro bubbles lingering, and could not get it tuned in. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but it would overflow randomly, then not produce any skim mate for weeks, so I do not recommend that one, but others have had luck with it. People also run the Tunze 9002 in the center chamber, but you need a precise ATO. If you're keeping up with that WC schedule, then the skimmer isn't necessary as you stated, but it could allow you to reduce the # of WC's if you get a good performer.

Right, but water changes remove way more nutrients and add trace elements back in.... Means less dosing. I'm gonna try the Eshopps I think. Might pick it up tomorrow.... I have to many probes and stuff in the middle chamber for the Tunze, unfortunately...

Steensj2004

Need some input from all you pretty people... should I buy the Eshopps skimmer and run that, or a IM Reactor with say rowaphos and carbon? I also still have the InTank Baskets with CPE/ Puregen in them.... With these options what would you run? Keep in mind I have a Fuge w/ Chaeto and intank baskets with FF/CPE(right side) and one with FF/ Puregen(left side).

I have the option to remove or add any combo really. If you had the choice between the above and a skimmer or reactor, what would you run.

I would love to know, I was planning on running to grab a skimmer today, or ordering some reactors. Any soild input would be great form some of the IM peeps on here!

I'm still running CPE/purigen, fuge, and a skimmer. I have the IM reactor sitting in the box, but not using it yet since my water is pretty much perfect with the weekly water changes. I've been having some tank issues lately so I'm trying the "simple" approach until everything settles down lol!

Can't speak for the Eshopps, but the IM reactor is great. Very simple to change media and dial in the flow. I run it with phosgaurd and ESV carbon. The sponges that come with it allow smaller particles to escape, which is why I use the phosgaurd (you could always double them up or make your own sponge). I know people think aluminum oxide is bad, but I have had no negative effects as long as it is rinsed well. IMO the in sump skimmers will allow a lot of microbubbles since there is no underflow baffle before the return chamber. I would go with the reactor since you seem to be keeping up with the Water Changes.

Steensj2004

I'm still running CPE/purigen, fuge, and a skimmer. I have the IM reactor sitting in the box, but not using it yet since my water is pretty much perfect with the weekly water changes. I've been having some tank issues lately so I'm trying the "simple" approach until everything settles down lol!

I also am having some issues.... Levels are in check, so I assume the new tank is the issue. I change out about 8-10 gallons of the water weekly, so I donno. I really like the idea of the skimmer, but I also like the idea of the reactor....hmmmmmm.

I thought your died man! Hows the tank!

Been super busy so haven't even been able to update. Clowns bit the tail of my firefish, so I put the firefish in QT along with a pink spotted goby I got a couple of weeks ago. Forgot to do a WC for a few days (didn't have time to run the RO), so ammonia spiked and killed firefish. I called it quits on the QT (took way too much time and effort), and put the goby in my main tank. No issues so far on that end.

My Tunze ATO is just a PIA and only works 50% of the time, yet the float switch is working fine and the pump works fine, so it just gets all freaky. Likely need to send that in for warranty. Along with having a storm controller that was bad out of the box (was sent a replacement), and a loud Sicce pump out of the box (seems to be doing better but may still need a warranty repair), I'm just having awesome luck!

Working on getting a BTA this weekend for my clowns, since they are trying to host my scoly and trachys, which piss them off lol. UGH!

Steensj2004

Been super busy so haven't even been able to update. Clowns bit the tail of my firefish, so I put the firefish in QT along with a pink spotted goby I got a couple of weeks ago. Forgot to do a WC for a few days (didn't have time to run the RO), so ammonia spiked and killed firefish. I called it quits on the QT (took way too much time and effort), and put the goby in my main tank. No issues so far on that end.

My Tunze ATO is just a PIA and only works 50% of the time, yet the float switch is working fine and the pump works fine, so it just gets all freaky. Likely need to send that in for warranty. Along with having a storm controller that was bad out of the box (was sent a replacement), and a loud Sicce pump out of the box (seems to be doing better but may still need a warranty repair), I'm just having awesome luck!

Working on getting a BTA this weekend for my clowns, since they are trying to host my scoly and trachys, which piss them off lol. UGH!

Ouch, sorry you are having so many problems. Just ge your money back for the ATO and buy a Reefkeeper lite with two floats and a cheap pump. ATO DIY style!

Edit: Actually you can just use the pump you have now....it would only cost you another 30.00 or so compared to the Tunze....plus you get a controller!

Steensj2004

Some more new stuff today,

-New Zoas(gonna need an ID) Maroon rim, blue center, with neon green dots.

-Couple New Acans(also gonna need an ID) Bright orange,green, and blue and the other is Blue and Red

Need some input from all you pretty people... should I buy the Eshopps skimmer and run that, or a IM Reactor with say rowaphos and carbon? I also still have the InTank Baskets with CPE/ Puregen in them.... With these options what would you run? Keep in mind I have a Fuge w/ Chaeto and intank baskets with FF/CPE(right side) and one with FF/ Puregen(left side).

I have the option to remove or add any combo really. If you had the choice between the above and a skimmer or reactor, what would you run.

I would love to know, I was planning on running to grab a skimmer today, or ordering some reactors. Any soild input would be great form some of the IM peeps on here!

I am nor a marine biologist or anything, but i would think adding a reactor to a system like this would not really benefit that much especially considering you have the InTank baskets. If you keep your rowa and carbon in there it practically is a reactor as it serves the same purpose, to run water through the media. Granted it is probably not as effective, it still gets the job done. I personally wouldn't even consider it with the amount of water changes you do unless u just want a new toy, then by all means have at it! :lol: I'm sure it would be cool, the only reason I could see running one is if you wanted to run the reactor in one chamber in order to free up the other chamber and add something else like a fuge.

I am nor a marine biologist or anything, but i would think adding a reactor to a system like this would not really benefit that much especially considering you have the InTank baskets. If you keep your rowa and carbon in there it practically is a reactor as it serves the same purpose, to run water through the media. Granted it is probably not as effective, it still gets the job done. I personally wouldn't even consider it with the amount of water changes you do unless u just want a new toy, then by all means have at it! :lol: I'm sure it would be cool, the only reason I could see running one is if you wanted to run the reactor in one chamber in order to free up the other chamber and add something else like a fuge.

Just IME, I was running phosphate removers passively, and it wasn't until I added a reactor that I was able to get the phosphate down to below 5 on my Hanna phosphorous checker (forget what that equates to in ppm, but I just keep it below 10). I think the reactors are much more effective than running the media passively, you will notice the difference. But you are correct if he is not overfeeding and is changing that much water, it probably isn't necessary.

Steensj2004

Just IME, I was running phosphate removers passively, and it wasn't until I added a reactor that I was able to get the phosphate down to below 5 on my Hanna phosphorous checker (forget what that equates to in ppm, but I just keep it below 10). I think the reactors are much more effective than running the media passively, you will notice the difference. But you are correct if he is not overfeeding and is changing that much water, it probably isn't necessary.

Yeah, buutttt I want another toy, hehehe.

In all seriousness, my experience has been that reactors utilize media so much more efficiently that running bags vs. reactors are nearly in two different leagues. Also, I feed fairly heavy, so I could benifit some from a skimmer. I would probably cut down to 5 gallons a week on water changes with a skimmer(assuming it works and pulls good skimmate).

I decided to got with the skimmer......well let me rephrase that, my girlfriend went and picked the skimmer up and suprised me! :D I might hook it up tonight, we will see.... :P

Of course reactors are WAY more effective than the passive media baskets because it actually forces the water through it. I have my baskets set up so all the water that runs through the overflow goes through the chambers, it was impossible to do this with the stock baskets. I currently have 2 IM customcaddy 16s both containing in order, filter floss, carbon, then rowa. Seems to do the job but it depends on what your needs are. I run a skimmer too tho and i feed a lot! Rods food once a day and BRS reef chili 3x a week. Got me thinking tho...if i got a reactor what other piece of equipment could i add in the second overflow chamber? lol

Steensj2004

Ok, so I installed the Eshopps Nano Skimmer tonight, and overall I am happy, here is what I think so far:

First Look:

I was very impressed with the quality of the skimmer out of the box. Solid construction, and a great looking skimmer. Instructions were easy enough to understand, however they were pretty short and had no real specifics in them for adjustments etc. Magnets seemed solid, I was excited to get it installed! I tried to install the Sicce Pump on the skimmer body, there is a nipple on the side of the skimmer the pump slides onto. The fit was very loose, so much so the pump could fall right off, this was disappointing to say the least. No big deal(the fit inside the tank chamber is tight, so the pump cannot move). So I then install the airline(and the thumb, screw style valve I had laying around to adjust the air intake), and the silencer. I headed over to the tank and installed it into the right side chamber #2.....you can barely get this thing in there but it fits. The instructions tell you to have the air intake on the pump facing down. This is impossible on the right side because the rim of the skimmer cup catches on the divider between chambers #1 and #2. I could not make it work even flipping the pump around(which allowed the pump to sit lower, but it was still not submerged completely). Now I figured I would try the other chamber, since it was 180 degrees out. Took the fuge basket and light off the tank, and sure enough the skimmer fit just right into the chamber. The collection cup was now facing away from the divider, allowing me to submerge the pump with the air intake facing down. At this point I am happy because it is no big deal moving the fuge to the other side.On a side note, you also can't use the magnet if you try the right chamber as the magnet base on the skimmer is no facing the AIO divider and not the back wall...at least you can't if you don't want a magnet inside your display. So it actually worked out.) At this point a whole new batch of problems arise......The magnet for this thing is NOT strong enough and the skimmer wants to slide down. This isn't a huge deal if the thumb wheel air valve I used actually adjusted the air intake. It made no difference, so I had to set the bubble chamber by adjusting the height of the skimmer. Not only was the magnet not working well, the pump was a hair out of the water when the bubbles were at the right spot in the cup.....sigh. As of right now I have it in the right spot, I hope it stays....Good news is if it overflows it will not go outside the tank. Overall, at this point I will give this skimmer a 7/10...this could all change when it breaks in and I can fix the few issues.

Pros:

-Excellent construction

-Fits great in the tank

-Sicce Pump is very quiet an the skimmer is no louder than my MP10 or other equipment

Cons:

-Pump connection is very loose, if the chamber wasn't tight enough to keep the pump from sliding off, I would be worried

-Weak magnet, I feel I can fix this. I am going to find 2 rare earth magnets (North and South) little bigger than a quarter. I will make a mold, and pour epoxy resin to make another external magnet block. If i can find some super strong magnets I should be able to hold it very tightly to avoid it sliding down.

-Instructions need some work out of the box. It wants you to face air intake down, but has a nipple that is straight. This makes it asy to kink the line and cause an overflow)

-No real way to adjust besides moving the skimmer up or down. I saw someone used a thumb-wheel air valve to adjust his Eshopps Nano, but the one I used isn't working. It would however be a non issue if the magnet was stronger. If I can find a better way to hold the skimmer( I.E. a stronger magnet) it will no biggie.

Skimmer is pulsing bubbles well up the collection cup neck already. I imagine this will be a sleek little machine when it breaks in. I would love some input from owners and their experience, advice, and help. Here is what I need help with:

-Can I have the pump air intake facing up rather than straight down. This will allow me to completely submerge the pump and ease in adjusting the skimmer

-Any advice on adjustments, valves, or devices/mods to make adjusting easier?

Thanks in advance for any help, I will post updates daily as she breaks in. I cannot believe how quiet this thing is....I am VERY impressed at how silent it runs!

post-79843-0-19648100-1397186735_thumb.jpeg

Hey, how is this PS working for you?

So sorry Steen, it's tax season, and I'm swamped with my boss's crap. Anyway, skimmer went on tank 3/15, within a couple of days it was pulling out medium colored tea, which is what I want as I'm using zeo on this tank. I had to raise the water level in the back chambers to almost even with the middle chamber baffles, meh, no biggie as I was happy w/skimmate production. A couple of days ago I noticed micro bubbles were getting really noticeable in the tank, and they were coming from the skimmer. Yesterday I couldn't deal w/the bubbles anymore, so I pulled the skimmer out, cleaned it including the pump. This morning I have ½ inch of skim mate in the cup and no more micro bubbles. Guess I'll be cleaning the skimmer every other week.

My skimmer sits directly on the bottom of the back chamber, no need for a magnet, tho I have it on there. Where (as in how high) is your skimmer sitting?

Steensj2004

So sorry Steen, it's tax season, and I'm swamped with my boss's crap. Anyway, skimmer went on tank 3/15, within a couple of days it was pulling out medium colored tea, which is what I want as I'm using zeo on this tank. I had to raise the water level in the back chambers to almost even with the middle chamber baffles, meh, no biggie as I was happy w/skimmate production. A couple of days ago I noticed micro bubbles were getting really noticeable in the tank, and they were coming from the skimmer. Yesterday I couldn't deal w/the bubbles anymore, so I pulled the skimmer out, cleaned it including the pump. This morning I have ½ inch of skim mate in the cup and no more micro bubbles. Guess I'll be cleaning the skimmer every other week.

My skimmer sits directly on the bottom of the back chamber, no need for a magnet, tho I have it on there. Where (as in how high) is your skimmer sitting?

My skimmer is sitting just above the bottom of the tank... My level is about 1/2 from being level between the return and the skimmer chamber. If I set the skimmer on the bottom the cup overflows... Is your pump air intake facing up or toward the bottom of the tank?

Steensj2004

Ok, So I got some tea colored skimmate from this skimmer, which had me excited. I emptied the cup and now it keeps filling up and filling my tank with micro-bubbles? I dunno, if it doesn't get better I am going to have to get rid of it. The micro-bubbles are pissing everything off in the tank, and I cannot seem to figure out how to keep this thing working.

post-79843-0-28357900-1397318837_thumb.jpeg

Steensj2004

Welp, I couldn't handle the Micro bubbles anymore, I boxed it up and took it back...I just didn't feel like messing with it anymore. It's a shame I got such a killer deal on it too,lol. Oh well, I do enough water changes anyway. I might even grab a reactor at some point.

Thread is pretty dead nowa-days..... Trying to update with some photos but it keeps saying ,"Upload Failed?"

That skimmer was driving me nuts with amount of bubbles it put out in first few weeks. Back then, it was installed in my 20g L setup. To tell you the truth, I couldn't figure it out myself and I wasn't sure what caused the bubble fireworks and overfilling collection cup. I was suspecting tank not being mature enough, breaking-in period or skimmer function itself...... Almost gave up on it. Than, 16IM tank was up and running for a while and I gave it one, last shot. It worked just fine to my amazement. Skim wasn't gunked, nesty, smelly crap like some tanks/skimmers can produce but more like tea color substance. But it could have been due to feeding light diet in this tank. Nevertheless, it end up staying as a part of the system. You might try different design down the road and give skimmer a second chance.

I can't speak to this skimmer but based on the reviews you gave and the reviews of the IM skimmer and the microbubble issue, I think it might have to do withe the power of the pump. If it is too strong the bubbles dont just go to the top of the skimmer body, they are forced down the outlet also. This is strictly opinion based as I have not had any of these skimmers but the one I use, aqua eura usa nana II has an extremely low power pump( it takes about 30 seconds just to fill up the skimmer chamber) and it doesnt throw bubbles in my tank. the bubbles stay at the top and are not given the opportunity to be forced down the outlet on the bottom of the skimmer

Steensj2004

I can't speak to this skimmer but based on the reviews you gave and the reviews of the IM skimmer and the microbubble issue, I think it might have to do withe the power of the pump. If it is too strong the bubbles dont just go to the top of the skimmer body, they are forced down the outlet also. This is strictly opinion based as I have not had any of these skimmers but the one I use, aqua eura usa nana II has an extremely low power pump( it takes about 30 seconds just to fill up the skimmer chamber) and it doesnt throw bubbles in my tank. the bubbles stay at the top and are not given the opportunity to be forced down the outlet on the bottom of the skimmer

Hmm, had never thought about that....wonder if you are right, would make sense to me. I have little patience for finicky equipment, I jsut couldn't handle the micro-bubbles, and my corals were pissed. Anyway, with the amount of water changes I do, I really didn't NEED a skimmer, was more just an extra boost to nutrient control. I am still changing 8 gallons a week, which is 50%(actually probably more like 60% as there isn't exactly 16 gallons of water, more like 14), and I do it in 2 separate water changes.I feel my nutrient export is pretty good overall. If I go back to a skimmer it will probably be a HOB type as someone mentioned before.....

How well does that skimmer you are using fit in your 16?

That skimmer was driving me nuts with amount of bubbles it put out in first few weeks. Back then, it was installed in my 20g L setup. To tell you the truth, I couldn't figure it out myself and I wasn't sure what caused the bubble fireworks and overfilling collection cup. I was suspecting tank not being mature enough, breaking-in period or skimmer function itself...... Almost gave up on it. Than, 16IM tank was up and running for a while and I gave it one, last shot. It worked just fine to my amazement. Skim wasn't gunked, nesty, smelly crap like some tanks/skimmers can produce but more like tea color substance. But it could have been due to feeding light diet in this tank. Nevertheless, it end up staying as a part of the system. You might try different design down the road and give skimmer a second chance.

Yeah, I got some ,"Tea" colored skim in just a day, but I just couldn't handle the micro bubbles, I have a Milli that is stressed and bleached from moving and being in a transport bag for to long. It has started to come back around and was not extending polyps since the micro-bubbles were an issue. I had several other corals that were taking the bubbles hard too. I might try another skimmer later one though.

On a side note, I decided to start using AquaVitro ,"Fuel" to see how it does. Mixed reviews but the majority seem to be positive. I will be posting the results(if any) as It goes. Suggested dose is 7mL per 30 gallons, so I have started with 3mL and will go from there. Slightly less than suggested, but I can always increase if needed.

Archived