Cultivated Reef

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

There is a mandarin training thread on here somewhere you should check that out. People seem to be having good success with that. I would have one except it seems they have more of a need for constant food than other fish and I travel for 2-3 days here and there which is fine with my livestock but didnt seem as ok for the mandarin.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, same here.....although I have the Boss lady to help out....... Could culture live too.....damn. Better not, the risk of it slowly dying isb't worth it's beauty. I had 2 in my 75, and they did great....but ima prolly have to pass in respect of the fish's health.

Well, it was my buddies birthday last night.... Tons of killer food, good times, and lotsa booze later I feel like there is a tiny gremlin inside my head beating things with a hammer. I am entirely to old for this garbage anymore :P , as soon as my LFS opens and I can bear to drag myself outta the house, I will head over to get water. Dale(fish store owner) has a 250-ish gallon inside his store that is his personal tank. It is absolutely KILLER! He is doing a water change and is providing me 15 gallons of his water and several scoops of live sand from one of his systems to ,"Seed" my tank. I will snake a few pieces of LR too....hopefully this gets the cycle off right(don't anticipate a large one going this route). I leave Thursday for Florida(work), and will do a water change when I return in two weeks... Getting wet today! :)

post-79843-0-25485400-1393080331_thumb.jpg

Tank is wet! Dont mind the rock mess in the center....that piece of live rock is going away, have it inside to help seed while I am gone! Nobody bit on buying the extra lights....so I threw one one for looks....

post-79843-0-50745400-1393112657_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-78936100-1393112667_thumb.jpg

Well, got the ATO hooked up(minus second switch...unsure how to program it), tank is up and running. Now to wait do? My light!! The barb was a bit to big for the tubing, a little heat and it went on. Didn't get it all the way on, but I can pull as hard as I can ans it doesn't budge....used a zip tie to secure it again.....I took the I.D. of the outlet down to 1/4"....was concerned about the MJ600 and the head height being an issue again.

post-79843-0-57374900-1393170636_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-97452300-1393170652_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-10657000-1393170667_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-45695200-1393170697_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-97551000-1393170708_thumb.jpg

Can someone please explain how to place a picture that links to your tank thread in your signature? Assuming anyone knows or is still following this?lol

ATO owners, how often does your ATO kick on and off?! I have heard mine kick on 2-3 times over the last few hours......not for long, just a quick spurt(maybe 3,4TB spoons worth). Just a quick splash.....is that normal? My first ATO system,lol

mine with the aqua lifter runs about every 25-30 mins and is on for about 10-15 seconds

Ok, I suppose that mine is normal then.....WIth the Maxi it runs for about 3 seconds...just never realized evap was that bad. I guess when you are manually doing it(like on my last system) you just aren't being this exact.

Well, figured out the signature....finally :rolleyes: I know I don't have my NanoBox Duo yet, but put it in the sig anyway, I will never remember how to do it again,lol :lol:

Really wish my light would be here before I leave for two weeks thursday...

Very nice! You got some pretty awesome equipment for that tank...a little jealous!

Thanks! I just hope I can make it look as awesome as the equipment is,lol. Unfortunately, buying good equipment isn't the only thing you have to do, and I have a LOT to learn. Going to order a set of Intank Baskets soon, as well as a dosing pump at some point. Changing my mind on stocking, going for SMALL stuff as far as animals....looking at:

-Sexy shirmp

-Pom Pom Crabs

-Small Gobies

I want off the wall stuff, different stuff.....No clowns or the average stuff. I want some stuff that not everyone has inside....... Thanks for the signature help BTW!

Nice tank! I love inverts. I've got Pom poms, harlequin shrimp, sexy shrimp, strawberry crabs, cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp, hermits and peps.

I made a pod farm out of the croshay plastic screen, made it into a cylinder and filled with lots of porous rubble rock. This keeps out other predators, and has increased my pod population, or keeps it up. I got sick of dealing with culturing...even though it is quite hands off. A bunch of bottles sitting around didn't impress the wife. Helps reduce feeding my Mandy's

Nice tank! I love inverts. I've got Pom poms, harlequin shrimp, sexy shrimp, strawberry crabs, cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp, hermits and peps. I made a pod farm out of the croshay plastic screen, made it into a cylinder and filled with lots of porous rubble rock. This keeps out other predators, and has increased my pod population, or keeps it up. I got sick of dealing with culturing...even though it is quite hands off. A bunch of bottles sitting around didn't impress the wife. Helps reduce feeding my Mandy's

Thanks! Yeah, trying to get some different stuff in here, thinking about a Comical Blenny...

I think I have decided on some other equipment to order so that it will be here before I return:

-InTank Media Baskets(already planned on this)

-BRS Screen Top Kit

-CPR Nano Reactor

-Digital Aquatics Net Module

-Digital Aquatics SL2(want to run a salinity probe....)

Dave should be done with the light soon, to bad it will be sitting here while I am in Florida,bah! <_< anyone have any sucees using a wireless gaming adapter to make the net module connect to a wireless router? I would love to avoid a 30 foot cable from my moden to the net module...

I have a Netgear gaming adapter on my 60g that bridges my home wireless router to my Apex, for the past 6 months, hasn't failed me yet. You'll love having a controller.

I am interested in seeing how you like the salinity probe, I only have a pH and temp probe on my Apex.

I'm also interested in why you choose the CPR reactor over the IM reactor.

I have a Netgear gaming adapter on my 60g that bridges my home wireless router to my Apex, for the past 6 months, hasn't failed me yet. You'll love having a controller.

I am interested in seeing how you like the salinity probe, I only have a pH and temp probe on my Apex.

I'm also interested in why you choose the CPR reactor over the IM reactor.

I had a controller on my last reef tank(75 gallon). I never utilized the features like I am now, and you are 100% right....they are amazing. got a link for that Netgear adapter? What did it run yah?

I am going with the CPR for several reasons. I love CPR stuff(great quality), and price. I havent completely decided on the reactor and may still go back to a IM type.... honestly, reactors simply suspend and force water through the media, as opposed to running around the media in a bag.Both may be to tall anyway, I have considered a DIY with some acrylic tubing etc..... They all do the same thing, so it is sort of six in one hand, half a dozen the other...lol.

Would like to run the Salinity probe instead of the ORP....I will never use an ORP probe, so I will get ahold of the SL2 module(which has a salinity port instead of the ORP). this will also give me 2 more switch ports for other stuff( I want to run a float in my ATO resevoir). Dang salinity probe is 120.00 though :blink: That brings the total between the SL2 and the Probe to 200.00.....I am in the wrong business apparently :lol:

I would also LOVE to run a small chiller to stabilize my temps even more(especially running another pump for a reactor)and came sooo close to pushing "Buy" on the JBJ chiller, But unsure I can cram anymore crud inside my tank,lol....missing the sump route at this point,lol.

Changing my mind on stocking, going for SMALL stuff as far as animals....looking at:

-Sexy shirmp

-Pom Pom Crabs

-Small Gobies

I want off the wall stuff, different stuff.....No clowns or the average stuff. I want some stuff that not everyone has inside.......

I love those stocking plans. A tank your size can really showcase these small animals rather than them getting lost in a regular sized system. I don't think you will be disappointed!

I haven't filled my IM16 with salt water yet, waiting for lights to come in, so I have no experience on this tank and temps, are you experiencing high temps? (sorry if I missed). Years ago I ran a chiller on my 72g reef with MH lighting and two mag 9.5's, but since I've switched all my tanks lighting over to LED's, and pumps over to Eheims, I haven't needed a chiller. My current 60g has an Apex temp probe set to go on at 78 and off at 80. Heaters come on once, maybe twice in 24 hours.

The recommended bridge for Apex is Netgear WNCE2001, tiny black box, for me it was set it and forget it.

I'm going zeovit with this build, the IM reactor has too much flow. I'm going to see how a home made "box of rocks" in the second chamber using an InTank Fuge Basket, passive flow, goes. Def will keep the CPR reactor in mind, please try to give a review on this thread.

Look forward to this build, looks awesome so far.

I love those stocking plans. A tank your size can really showcase these small animals rather than them getting lost in a regular sized system. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Thanks! I am looking into so pretty neat little guys. I am going for mostly Gobies/blennies etc. Fish as of right now are :

-Comical Blenny

-Barnicale Blenny

-Purple Fire Fish

-Sexy Shrimp

-Pom-Poms

-Likely one longspine

-Yasha/Pistol (hopefully breeder box these guys so another goby doesn't jump in,lil)

-Panda or Hi-Fin Goby

not sure I can swing all those fish at once, however, they stay VERY small....likely will have to choose only 3.

I would Love a crazy BTA morph that was rare, but I am iffy on keeping one in a 16....they can get large...

I will be packing the following on the islands:

Left- Zoa garden on the mountan, and a Ric garden on the base/foot coming out in the sand

Middle- SPS packed

Right- Acan garden

Hopefully some killer morphs, which will mean small frags to save price.....

I haven't filled my IM16 with salt water yet, waiting for lights to come in, so I have no experience on this tank and temps, are you experiencing high temps? (sorry if I missed). Years ago I ran a chiller on my 72g reef with MH lighting and two mag 9.5's, but since I've switched all my tanks lighting over to LED's, and pumps over to Eheims, I haven't needed a chiller. My current 60g has an Apex temp probe set to go on at 78 and off at 80. Heaters come on once, maybe twice in 24 hours.

The recommended bridge for Apex is Netgear WNCE2001, tiny black box, for me it was set it and forget it.

I'm going zeovit with this build, the IM reactor has too much flow. I'm going to see how a home made "box of rocks" in the second chamber using an InTank Fuge Basket, passive flow, goes. Def will keep the CPR reactor in mind, please try to give a review on this thread.

Look forward to this build, looks awesome so far.

I see your point.... guess I don't need the chiller at all. What is Zeovit? Will let you know on the reactor as well. Both are adjustible....so flow should be an issue.

Welp, I am in Florida....decided to check out the saltwater scene. Way past dissapointed, the two I went to today were less than steller. Kinda expected more <_< . Anyone know of a real quality LFS around the naval base here in JAX?

Welp, I am in Florida....decided to check out the saltwater scene. Way past dissapointed, the two I went to today were less than steller. Kinda expected more <_< . Anyone know of a real quality LFS around the naval base here in JAX?

Which ones did you go in?

Which ones did you go in?

Uh, Ocean Reef Pets or something like that(on Atlantic) and another one I forget the name. I have been looking online and figure I am in the wrong stores. There are a few I plan to check out Saturday, Coral Logic, and a few others look good. The one on Atlantic isn't a good shop for coral. They only had a few decent pieces. Thier ,"Frag Tank" was a joke....RTN on sps and LPS sliming away to nothing....waste of my time. Tons of fish, none that were impressive. One Mandi was covered in some kind of bumps, looks like puss bubbles? Ugh!.....I see you are in JAX, come take me around to some kewl stores!!! lol... I would go out and check some now but most will be closed before I can ge there

Ocean Reef on Atlantic sucks!! And so does Jolly's which is right up the road from you on Blanding Blvd.

Here are the best 3...

• Bio-Reef - Regent Blvd
  • Coral Logic - Gate Parkway
  • Orange Park Aquatics - Blanding Blvd

Archived