Pod Your Reef

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

So, good news....this tank was 248.00 without the Skyye lights online. Opened the box and I got them in this Nuvo box. Free lights!!!! Also, would like to point out I love the tank....hated removing the dang protective acrylic paper on the pedestal and false wall. Did NOT want to come off.

Everything arrived from Marine depot, intact and undamaged. Impressed with the quality of packing, everything was tightly secured with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, or air balloons. Nothing rattled inside the boxes, well done Marine depot! Initial, overall impression is high on everything. I was skeptical on the Innovative Marine float switch kit, as it had some iffy reviews. I was Very surprised at the quality, solid and great fitting pieces. Hoping to have everything mounted and wiring secured by Saturday, and wet by the end of the day. Light is still two weeks out according to Dave from NanoBox this morning. Hoping he will shoot some build pictures this way :happy: . I considered upgrading to the Storm-X controller, but really believe it would give me any advantages. I only need the stock amount of channels, and for my desired programming the regular Storm controller should suit me just fine.

I did notice that the Caribsea dry rock seemed were much larger pieces than I anticipated. They are excellent pieces, but unfortunately they will need to be broken down to achieve the aqua-scape I am looking for. Oh well, no biggie.....anyone want to pump some scape ideas this way? :rolleyes:

post-79843-0-68528500-1392854210_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-67155500-1392854228_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-62331300-1392860097_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-97277300-1392860113_thumb.jpg

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, let the wiring abortion begin!!! Have about 2/3 done, just need to secure excess internally and hook up aqualifter. I am concerned about it's ability to do the job at 47-wish inches. Test produced a steady drip....may have to invest in a Pico pump from hydor instead......

post-79843-0-64779500-1392938536_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-74202100-1392938545_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-60621700-1392938562_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-17561900-1392938572_thumb.jpg

Well....still a few things to add(light cord , float switches, and aqualifter) this is still a absolute mess....but with limited room it'll have to look this way

post-79843-0-04642400-1392939860_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-32500500-1392939881_thumb.jpg

Trying to figure out the aquascape..... <_< Man this tank is near impossible to get a good look in. It is fairly tall compared to how long it is, and shallow display area. getting a solid build upwards is hard without looking to much like giant poles structures. Between the Boss Lady showing me cabinet samples for the kitchen, wiring, and trying to get this aqua scape right, I am burnt out :eek: . Gonna let it sit overnight and have another go tomorrow. This is in the main living area, I want it to look really good.....Anyone have some pics of killer scapes in these for some ideas? I am stumped..... :(

There are many great scapes to look at in AIO or IM owners threads. My scape was originally intended for mantis shrimp (lots of live rock and caves) but all those horror stories about cracking glass makes me paranoid. Since mantis is known to explore rockwork and new surroundings with his lethal punches, I might have to find him another home with glass thick enough to withstand accidental strikes. Will check occasionally your build and want to see what you come up with as far as aquascape is concern.

My mantis aquascape below (but I like it and whatever this tank will turn out to be, this scape is here to stay)

2014-02-02%2013.44.37_zpsrpxizzxg.png

There are many great scapes to look at in AIO or IM owners threads. My scape was originally intended for mantis shrimp (lots of live rock and caves) but all those horror stories about cracking glass makes me paranoid. Since mantis is known to explore rockwork and new surroundings with his lethal punches, I might have to find him another home with glass thick enough to withstand accidental strikes. Will check occasionally your build and want to see what you come up with as far as aquascape is concern.

My mantis aquascape below (but I like it and whatever this tank will turn out to be, this scape is here to stay)

2014-02-02%2013.44.37_zpsrpxizzxg.png

Thanks, I have already been browsing the forums and other online sources for pics of scapes. I was really shooting for a twin tower/island type scape. I love minimalist scapes too, however I believe you cheat yourself out of bio-filtration when using minimal rock. I could also do a odball, single island type as well. I wjust wanted something that was visually appealing. If I had my way)and more room) I would likely do 3 islands, one for zoas, one for LPS like acans, and a center one for SPS....I donno, will get back to the grind asap this evening. I want to have a scape hammered out tonight as I planned on getting 15 gallons used water(From my LFS contact's tank in store) and a few scoops of sand from his tank as well to seed mine(as well as a few small pieces of LR ). I leave for Florida next Thursday for florida(2 weeks) to do a job. Hoping to get the cycle done so I can do a water change and get a CUC in after I get back....

My Scape. NOt A Great Pic.

I like it!

Concerned about the Toms lifter pump and its ability to lift the water 47 inches. Box says 30" max, did a test at the current height, but it is only a drip. I may need toget something a bit more beefy. Thinking about just getting a Cobalt MJ600 and running it inside the ATO resevoir. Max head on that is 53"( I would use the Cobalt MJ400, but max head is only 29") Anyone have some input on this? I don't want to mega blast water into the tank........hmm

Hmmmm, took a loot and seems legit. Every ehim pump I've had is awesome, so agreed on the pumps. Only issue is that I would losea inch or so for intake in the ato resevoir. Which means the last gallon or so would be useless..... Oh well, think I'll try out the Ehiem

I am a BIG fan of Eheim, I own 4 of their classic style canisters on fw tanks, and have used their pumps forever. Currently I am using 3x E600, 1xE300, 1xE1262. They are quiet, and do not run hot. I've let the ATO reservoir run dry several times, not a good thing, but the pump keeps on kicking.

I've got my Nuvo16 set up, but with freshwater, leak test, with two Eheim 600's. Can't hear em at all. I have them set ½ way for flow. Check out intankmedia, best price I found on them.

For an ATO I'm using Tunze nano, having a little trouble dialing it in. My 60g has an Avast ATO, but hooked to an apex, which makes it a very small footprint. Couldn't go with an Avast system for the ATO on the Nuvo, would have taken too much real estate in the back chamber.

Good luck with this tank, I will be following......

The Eheim is a bad choice for an ATO Pump for this setup. My aqualifter only runs for about 15 seconds at a dribble until it kicks the sensor off. This is way overkill.

I had an aqualifter for my ato with the reservoir down below what seems to be a similar height to yours. It worked like you say for a little while but slowly died. I moved it to an even level with my tank and it started working well again for a while but is now back to a slow dribble even with no head pressure.

If you use the glass top evap isn't bad. My reservoir is 5 gallons and that lasts me a long long time. So long I couldn't even tell you how long it lasts because I fiil it up so infrequently ha.

Tony

You are talking about a 10" x 2.75" space that you want to fill about 1'2" (which is about what the float switch is), plus a submersible pump will take additional volume away, space and is really overkill on a 16 gallon tank.

So stick with the Tom's aqua lifter?

On a side note, picked up some acrylic to make a top for the ATO reservoir,some more zip ties, and surprisingly found these little bases that have a sticky back. You can stick them and they have a spot to run a zip tie. Super convenient and I could only ever get them from Ecotech(MP powerheads come with 4, but I always have uses for them). Found bags of 10 for like a 1.97 at Home Depot, Seem to be IDENTICAL for a fraction of the price!

post-79843-0-19221700-1393018225_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-62097000-1393018960_thumb.jpg

So stick with the Tom's aqua lifter?

Yes, I would. Just mount it higher and split the difference between the ATO tank and the sump. For a few dollars, they make a holder for these pumps, but you could probably mount it yourself better. Then you have full capacity on your ATO tank as well. But literally it will only run 15-20 seconds with the dribble in-between top offs. It doesn't take much. Now if you have a 60+ tank with a big sump, yes then I would go with a Eheim or something similar.

We are getting closer. :)

DAVE! STOP IT! lol, yah tease!!!! I am pulling my hair out in anticipation! :D

Yes, I would. Just mount it higher and split the difference between the ATO tank and the sump. For a few dollars, they make a holder for these pumps, but you could probably mount it yourself better. Then you have full capacity on your ATO tank as well. But literally it will only run 15-20 seconds with the dribble in-between top offs. It doesn't take much. Now if you have a 60+ tank with a big sump, yes then I would go with a Eheim or something similar.

Ok, mounted everything except the pump, sticking with the Aqualifter, here is a progress update....

Cut a 1/8" acrylic top for ATO(pic1). Drilled hole and used sticky pads to hold line(pic2). The filter is mounted on top of the lid for stability, this way it doesn't get knocked around(pic 2/3).

Assembled float switches, I had some ferrels (we use them on military systems) and some heat shrink tubing(pic 4). I mounted each switch to the bracket, secured with nut and o-ring(pic 5). Stripped the wires, crimped each ferrel, and heat shrunk each connection(pic 6). I couldn't STAND the fact that each wire was seperate, so 40 zip ties later it was secured and mounted down the back of the tank(pic 7).

post-79843-0-53787700-1393024834_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-39312100-1393024849_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-30655500-1393024873_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-19050700-1393024884_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-88101500-1393024901_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-59325000-1393024925_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-86937500-1393024943_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-87528500-1393024956_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-07951800-1393024988_thumb.jpg

Finalized my aquascape....used J-B Weld :Water Weld putty(pic1). It is safe for use inside potable water tanks, and has been used for aquariums by me (and many others) without any leeching. Composition is exact to the standard ones people use at a fraction of the price. Three separate towers/islands. Two outside have legs that run out from the base. Putty is drying and tonight I will water test. TOMORROW WE WILL BE WET(as long as everything keeps going well!)!

post-79843-0-25004100-1393026310_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-36955100-1393026389_thumb.jpg

Anyone seen those new Ruby Red Mandi Dragonets(actually Scooter Blennies)... Wow....I might be willing to buy pods daily for one....my fish guy has some.....DARN you POD only eating sobs!

Archived