Which test kits do you use ?

Reefkid88

I'm going to be putting in a order for some test kits here soon,I know it's not a huge problem not to test for things like iron and iodine and potassium but I'd like to have the peace of mind knowing where all my major elements are at,can't hurt anything but the wallet lol

Which company do you guys use and suggest ? Seachem has some decent prices almost too cheap to deem reliable in my eyes,Elos isn't too badly priced either,and Red Sea I know everyone raves about but are pricey. You get what you pay for I believe in this hobby I like to think..

Depends on what I'm doing.

I have API for testing the early stages of the cycle. Once it starts to get close, I switch to Elos/Red Sea/Hanna.

Just a suggestion, make a poll so it is easy to follow the results. I have used API in the past but just placed an order for new salifert kits.

I started off using API but sold the kits in favour of Red Sea ( have the the basic kit and the reef foundations kit). I'm still debating going for Salifert or Hanna for the phosphate tester though.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with SeaChem Basic's for the nitrites,nitrates,ph,amonnia. Elos for phosphates and get a Red Sea Foundations Kit and Red Sea Colors Kit for the rest.

I have a API Master and Reef test kit,but my girlfriend wants a 2.5 gallon so I'll let her get those to keep at her house because all she'll be keeping is Zoa's and shrooms.

After the initial cycle where I use the inexpensive and so so accurate API Liquid Master test kit I use Salifert for everything due to its accuracy and its definite color changes. Many kits make you distinguish between different chades of the same color which isn't always easy to do nor is it accurate. With most Salifert kits its a definite color change like red to blue and hard to confuse.

With API test,trying to figure out if your nitrates are one shade of red or this shade of red is annoying.

When my brother n law had his 15 gallon,I let him use my API test and it was saying the nitrates were low ( very pale red almost nonexistent ) I took some water the a LFS because he couldn't even keep Zoa's alive and te nitrates were deadly !!! Along with ammonia and that was reading at 0 !! Idk how anything was alive.

For calcium, I found the Elos titration kit to be easier to use than the Salifert one. I guess it depends on how well you can use the syringe. However, I am really annoyed at the Elos alkalinity test so I might try Salifert when I run out.

Archived