Cultivated Reef

De-rimming a 20x20x20 cube

TheyCallMeMud

TheyCallMeMud

Just bought a used 35 gal cube that is not rimless, and the guy i bought from did a crappy job resealing the tank. I want to clean up the seams and re vamp the tank. Gonna be using RVT103 black silicone. The glass is 3/8" thick, this should be safe to de rim right? Everywhere I've been looking says 3/8" is a good thickness for a DIY rimless build. The rim of the tank isnt plastic, its wood thats been painted black, so I'm not really sure how much support its giving the tank in the first place

Just bought a used 35 gal cube that is not rimless, and the guy i bought from did a crappy job resealing the tank. I want to clean up the seams and re vamp the tank. Gonna be using RVT103 black silicone. The glass is 3/8" thick, this should be safe to de rim right? Everywhere I've been looking says 3/8" is a good thickness for a DIY rimless build. The rim of the tank isnt plastic, its wood thats been painted black, so I'm not really sure how much support its giving the tank in the first place

3/8ths should hold the mr aqua 60 cube uses 10mm and your at 9.5. Now as for redoing the seems, Make sure you get 100% of the old silicone off before you do it because any left over silicone is going to be a hole in the seal. Its a pain in the butt and will take hours upon hours with a razor blade but its doable.

TheyCallMeMud

3/8ths should hold the mr aqua 60 cube uses 10mm and your at 9.5. Now as for redoing the seems, Make sure you get 100% of the old silicone off before you do it because any left over silicone is going to be a hole in the seal. Its a pain in the butt and will take hours upon hours with a razor blade but its doable.

Yeah it'll be a pain, but I'd rather it look good, I mean this is bad, I'll post a pic up with measurements to make sure I'm not crazy

Archived