Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine NUVO Aquarium SR 80 Build

best3175

Eff that cube noise!!! Lol

Dying to set up another tank since my 180g is done. Only problem I have is room. I don't have much room to work with. Wife doesn't want no tanks in the main living area. So I finished my basement so I can play with the fishes down there lol

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added a Jabeo WP-25 circulation pump. As Long as it can be mounted on the back wall, then I like this pump. I may still pick up an EcoTech MP40 one of these days.

I also added my first bit of live stock:

Clean up Crew Consisting of:

Coral Banded Shrimp

Snapping Shrimp

12 Blue Legged Hermit crabs. (Only three survived0

10 Astraea Conehead Snail

3 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab

3 Electric Blue Hermit Crab (none survived)

30 Cerith Snail

And a Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby that could be located 12 hours after being released into the tank. I guess I'll write him off.

Placed an order with Bulk Reef Supply for their 2 Part solution, a Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01, Pohl’s Coral Vitalizer, Pohl’s Xtra Concentrate, and a Red Sea Reef Colors Pro Multi Test Kit (I2,K,Fe).

Getting ready for CORALS!

Oh yeah, and other Live Stock Order has been placed:

Red Candy Cap Coral

Montipora Capricornis, Purple

Wildwood Bottle Brush Acropora

And Some More Fish:

3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Indonesia) - Medium
Hi Fin Red Banded Goby - Medium
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Sri Lanka) - Small
Clown Goby, Green (Indonesia) - Medium

And Some More for the Clean Up Crew:

10 Astraea Turbo Snails

10 Nassarius Snails

3 more Scarelt Reef Hermits

10 Dwarf Red Tip Hermits

2 Fighting Conches

5 Bumble Bee Snails

10 Dwarf Zebra Hermits

5 Dwarf Yellow tip Hermits

12 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits

Well, my IM full size ghost skimmer is making noise again. I'm about ready to give up on this thing. I'll take it apart tomorrow to see if I can identify the issue. It is related to the air. If I block off the air inlet, the. It is silent. But I installed an air silencer with ZERO effect. The air makes the impeller noisy.

Did someone say 2-part dosing!

gBnmGqE.jpg

Looks like this hobby is going to lead to another hobby of macro photography. A camera is going to be a good gift this year.

g5vPv2U.jpg

pIGTGZD.jpg

My Ghost Skimmer started making noise again. This is after Innovative Marine sent me a replacement magnet. The problem comes down to the impeller breaking loose of the magnet shaft. I was able to glue it back in place and the skimmer is back to silent operation. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350147-innovative-marine-ghost-skimmer-noise-fix/'>Here is a thread detailing my fix.

I have had the same issue with their reactor pumps, the impeller breaking loose from the magnet shaft. This has happened on 3 separate occasions. The reactors make a ton of noise and sometimes stop entirely. I am getting the ghost skimmer and hope to not have the same issues which seem inevitable.

• 4 weeks later...

Cadlights tanks are not pressboard, but cabinet grade ply....Innovative Marine stands are....

I would honestly avoid Cadlights if I were you. I came very close on two occasions to purchasing one of their big tanks, but the amount of possible issues you will face combined with the really awful support makes it a very bad choice of tank. I also visited their offices in LA and was very unimpressed.

I would honestly avoid Cadlights if I were you. I came very close on two occasions to purchasing one of their big tanks, but the amount of possible issues you will face combined with the really awful support makes it a very bad choice of tank. I also visited their offices in LA and was very unimpressed.

Possible Issues?

• 2 weeks later...

My first tank was a CADlights 50g. I was one of the lucky ones & everything arrived non-broken and fine. The customer service though was pretty terrible. Although, this was 2 years ago, so I don't know if they improved.

• 1 month later...

So...I knew better, but I got to aggressive. I adjusted my 2 part dosing too fast and nuked most of corals. My dkH was off chart. It was so high, the sand fussed together. Only three pieces of coral left and they show damage.

I have not lost any fish except for those that try to swim on the carpet. I crack the screen cover a little so my auto-feeder will work. I am going to make a clear, acrylic cover for the corners before I buy any more jumpers.

I feel like I finally have the tank settled down and in good working order. I was going to place another order, but LiveAquaria's site was down Wednesday night and Thursday morning. I like to take delivery on Friday. We will see how this week goes.

Some Pictures (yes, I hope Santa brings me a real camera this year)

This little guy showed up out of no where. We took a ride on the porcelain slide.

gDZIJQW.png

Any suggestions on how to best treat this coral or is best to let it be?

SU9uPiQ.jpg

Ready to eat

eD5nmjs.jpg

Full Tank photo. LAME!

ryEk6oW.jpg

Wow, so sorry to hear about your corals getting cooked! I fried almost all of mine by using way too heavy of a dose of BioPellets. I guess we live and learn! Best thing I can recommend is a big water change - up to 50% now and another one in about two weeks so your bacteria levels can build back up. For me, Time has been the only way for the corals to mend. It's been more than two months since I pulled the bio pellets and most coral have recovered. Some will never be the same. Lost over 50% of my acans. Major STN on my birdsnest. All but two of my soft corals completely melted and only a few zoa polyps survived on those.

Added new inhabitants.

Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred (Africa) - 11/18/2014

Hydnophora Coral Indonesia - 11/18/2014

Aussie Tube Coral Orange - 11/18/2014

Bushy Acropora Coral Indonesia - 11/18/2014

Birdsnest Coral Indonesia - 11/18/204

3 - Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab - 11/18/2014

K1eZEZt.jpg

Yv95Uig.jpg

DDtNo0Y.jpg

90r6OAy.jpg

Dear Santa, I NEED a new Camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a case of Bryopsis. Starting full thermonuclear war this weekend. Got out the toothbrush and scrubbed my rock. Did a 25 gallon water change. I'm changing filter socks every two-three days. Cut feeding back to once a day. Purchased a 2nd Fullsize ghost Skimmer and am going to run two of them.

I am going to start doing weekly water changes with complete substrate disruption.

Note, my tank has been up for about 8 months and this is what i found in the back of the tank. I am going to start siphoning this on a regular basis.

ryc9q5m.jpg

I started with Seachem Salt and liked it, but it mixed light on on the big three (Alk, calcium, and mag). i switched to Tropic Marine. I do not like this salt. I would mix it and leave it in a 35 gallon bucket with a pump. A small amount of dirty froth would form. It would also leave an amazing amount of residue.

Today, i also switched to Kent Salt. We will see how it goes. It does not mix very clear. I may be trying Red Sea before I finish this bucket.

Tomorrow, I am going to measure the mag in the tank and start the Kent Tech M treatment for the Bryopsis.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best way to handle nutrients in a reef aquarium? Okay, sure, we should handle the importing of nutrients. Yes, and the next best way to export is via water changes. But what is the 2nd best way to export nutrients from a reef aquarium? Protein Skimmers, baby!

Bring it on Bryopsis, I added a second Fullsize Ghost Skimmer. Let's see what this does.

GqXtLGZ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Where did u buy your rocks? I am looking for some myself :)

aquariumspecialty.com. I know they are going to discontinue carry them and there stock is pretty low. I could not find them anywhere else.

How is the noise? any changes since the last time you mentioned it?

Since the impeller was replaced, they produce little noise. My newest skimmer had the new impeller and produces very little noise. I am running both skimmers and the tank is in my Theater room. No noise issues with the skimmers.

The biggest issue with this tank is that the baffles are not usable. They sound like Niagara Falls. I just keep the water level above the the baffles. But it is a frustratingly poor design on otherwise great tank.

Archived