Innovative Marine Aquariums

Innovative Marine NUVO Aquarium SR 80 Build

best3175

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What material did you use for the gaskets? I have been fighting a noise problem with my ghost skimmer also....drives me up the wall!

I used a 1/8" thick FDA approved neoprene. It is a common gasket material laying around where I work. I think a 1/16" thick would work. The Neoprene is medium Durometer and could probably be softer.

Here is what I used.

I recently dropped a Full Size Ghost in my SR-80 and love it. It started out insanely quiet but has recently started to make a slight rattling sound. Definitely going to try your gasket mod. Way cool!!

BTW, the Ghost started producing decent skim for me after 24 hours. After 48 hours it's been producing a good volume of really dark junk. I think it's a really great skimmer. Will report back after the mod.

Thanks for the great idea!

Yelp, the rattle is back. I really think this is related to the impeller design of the skimmer pump. I'm going to let it run a few more days to see if it quiets down and then start a warranty claim with IM. We will see how that goes.

I always wanted to try a LX-2000, but it looks like it has been discontinued. Running out of good options...

Let me know if this works for you. I am really happy with the noise level after installing these gaskets.

Will do. Sorry to hear about the rattle. I'm determined to find a way to fix it. Ordered some gasket material from Amazon - should be here tomorrow. :-)

The build is coming along very nicely. Happy to see another reefer running the hydra 52s. I just ordered 3 for 180g can't wait till they arrive. I have high hopes for this light

I am really at a loss on this tank. There are no good skimmer options, so here I sit looking at HOB skimmers. Hell, I could of done that with a PetCo Tank. The Tank is extremely noisy. The intank baffles are too close together resulting in an obnoxious amount of noise. To correct it, I have to keep the rear chamber overfull of water. Essentially keeping the water level above the baffles. So, I have no chambers in the back...no hope of eiliminating microbubbles. Plus the chambers are too small for any useful skimmers.

Here I sit with my $2,000 tank.

1. I could try and dump it on craigslist and order a CADLights. Probably cost me $1,500.
  2. I could try and rework the rear chamber myself. Remove the baffles, lengthen them, and then reinstall with more sapce between them.
  3. Live with the noise and grow more p@#$ed-off at the tank everyday

I guess I'm going to rework the rear chamber.

First, does anyone have any experience removing silicone from acrylic? Glass is easy enough with a razor blade, but what about arylic?

Second, how much spacing do you recommend between to bubble trap baffles? Figure each pump is operating at 450 gph. there are two pumps and two baffles.

I think I'm going to increase the size of both chambers. I want to at least be able to easily fit the Tunze skimmer in one with enough room to hopefully diffuse some microbubbles and then hopefully the baffle will take care of the rest.

Any other suggestions to quite this take?

The build is coming along very nicely. Happy to see another reefer running the hydra 52s. I just ordered 3 for 180g can't wait till they arrive. I have high hopes for this light

I'm very happy with the lights, but am still cycling the tank. I can't speak to their performance yet.

As much as this tank design caught my eye, I've decided to hang back and see how folks are getting along with it. IM builds really sharp looking systems (I have the Nuvo 8), but most new products have issues that aren't discovered until later.

I'm considering this same form-factor but with a sump if issues keep surfacing and there aren't either decent DIY fixes or manufacturer design changes.

I know what it's like to be the first in and have to do a lot of work to make something right that you expected to be perfect at the outset - especially things we pay premium prices for.

I'll keep anxiously following - best of luck !!

I have to hand it to IM, their customer service is top notch. I emailed them this morning regarding my noisy skimmer. A replacement part is on the way.

They called to discuss the issue. Apparently, if the magnet on the impeller shaft moves (mine can rotate about 90-180 degrees on the shaft) then your impeller needs to be replaced. Mine does so a new one is on the way.

Man, I hope this works. I'll keep you posted.

The new impeller has been received, is installed, and is running. So far, so good. It is quiet. Let's give it a few days...

Steensj2004

Get you the cadlights 100gallon artasan tank. 1500.00 and you get the tank, cabinet grade sump, sump, skimmer, and return pump. I'm planning on it as soon as I hear about this job( which requires me to move) or till I buy a house here in a few months.

I agree with you about IM, their products seem to have some shortcomings that adore suprising considering the price... Good luck !

Get you the cadlights 100gallon artasan tank. 1500.00 and you get the tank, cabinet grade sump, sump, skimmer, and return pump. I'm planning on it as soon as I hear about this job( which requires me to move) or till I buy a house here in a few months. I agree with you about IM, their products seem to have some shortcomings that adore suprising considering the price... Good luck !

Those are some nice tanks really considering paying the extra money for the cadlights 50g instead of getting the IM 40g fusion

Steensj2004

Those are some nice tanks really considering paying the extra money for the cadlights 50g instead of getting the IM 40g fusion

Heck yeah, I want one so bad I can't hardly stand it. But until I am able to figure out what I'm doing I can't buy anything...... Blah

Heck yeah, I want one so bad I can't hardly stand it. But until I am able to figure out what I'm doing I can't buy anything...... Blah

Looks like the cadlights will be a no go for me :( There's not enough room in the stand for a top off container!! The sump that comes with the 50 takes up most of the room. WTF!!!!

Order it without the stand! Build your own!

Too lazy for that shit LOL after buying a house and remodeling every room Im tired of building things. Might need to consider the IM 40 fusion again

LIVESTOCK IS COMING!!!

First, the new impeller is working great. The Ghost Skimmer is quiet and producing decent skim after less than 48 hours. I'm not happy with the baffles in this tank, but have an idea for an easy fix. Don't worry, I'll keep this thread informed.

Second, I ordered a Jabeo WP-25 for additional circulation. I'm hoping I like it better than the Ecotech MP10. If so, I'll add another or maybe two more and sell the Ecoteh.

Third, in preparation for livestock, I ordered an IntelliFeed Fish Feeder and the innovative Marine AccuDrip Acclimation Kit. I also decided on New Life for my fish food. I am going to try the AlgaeMAx and Marine Formulas.

And... I placed my first order for Live Stock.

My first Fish is a Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby

You have to pair a Shrimp Goby with a Snapping Srimp

Every Marine Aquarium needs a Coral Banded Shrimp

And a Clean up Crew Consisting of:

12 - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

10 - Astaea Turbo Snails

3 - Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs

30 - Cerith Snails

3 - Electric Blue Hermit Crabs

I will review the equipment and live stock once it is all receive and acclimated.

Get you the cadlights 100gallon artasan tank. 1500.00 and you get the tank, cabinet grade sump, sump, skimmer, and return pump. I'm planning on it as soon as I hear about this job( which requires me to move) or till I buy a house here in a few months. I agree with you about IM, their products seem to have some shortcomings that adore suprising considering the price... Good luck !

I've heard the CADLight stands are junk. This Innovative Marine stand is built like a tank with a great finish.

Archived