Steralite/Rubbermaid sump?

Visionist

I've recently discovered the stand for my 27g cube like tank is too small for a standard sump. Since the tank is a square the stand has a square area underneath...just an inch too small for a 10g tank in width. I don't have the funds to get a custom one made or buy one of the premade acrylic ones so I've been considering some form of plastic container. The rubbermaid ones seem to bow a fair bit, the steralite containers seem a bit more rigid? Which is more beneficial for sectioning off the sump. Has anyone used one of these before or have any more suggestions? Maybe even a custom made glass tank from scrap glass? If I salvaged a 20g or 20g long(since the glass would be thick enough for a 10g) and cut the glass to form a cube sump?

I wouldn't use a steralite/rubbermaid container as a sump... they'll bow in the long run. The only plastic containers I recommend as a sump is those livestock troughs you buy at those animal feed/tractor supply stores...

I'd probably stick to seabass' idea.

i would get a sheet of 1/4" home depot acrylic and DIY a sump. even though its extruded acrylic, the baffles will keep it from bowing out and its only a sump. as long as its water tight you should be good.

I believe the glass is closer to 5 or 6mm, I dont think the guy at restore measured very well haha. Ill double check when im home. Either way with baffles etc it should be strong enough.

Archived