inTank Media Baskets

Modding a Ikea stand, looking for ideas.

waldoz

So long story short, wife has limitations and I have to deal with it or no tank. Been married for 19yrs. :)

Item --> Stand

I was just wondering if you guys had modified one of these stands to hold the weight. As for the top I was thinking of getting a glass top cut for it then I thought it would prob crack. I figured I would give the Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Wrap a try. So if I spilled it would not damage the top. If you could give me some ideas that would be great. I am thinking wood frame and attach the out side like a skin. I am open to options. I told the wife don't know if it would handle the weight and she said well maybe you should not do it. LOL So yeah stand says 60 lbs and I think I am looking at 130- 140 with rock and sand. Looking for options to make this work. Thanks!

I've used the smaller version of the EXPEDIT stand for a 20g long for years now with no modifications. I added the additional boxes with doors to hide EQ underneath. If you want a sump then what you linked to looks fine to me. The only thing I would consider doing is painting with something waterproof and do a weight test by having two people sit on it. My guess is the stand won't budge. If you are really worried about the top warping then you can add an additional board across the top to thicken things up, I'd suggest using the premade washroom countertops.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30264419/

Yeah have to keep with what I am using. The Expedit is pretty sturdy we have them for lots of books, but this it going in the front room so got to use what I got to go with.

What size tank are you planning on? As long as the tank reaches the edges the weight is supported by the verticles. Looking at the stand it appears that the verticles are solid wood and the top is hollow core. Like said about I kept a 20L on the expidit for years with no problems. Even with water spills, just wipe them up right away.

My biggest concern is that everything (but the back) is made of: Particleboard, Honeycomb structure recycled paper filling, Fiberboard, Foil, ABS plastic, Foil. This type of construction provides good strength if a board was laying on the ground, and you stood directly on it. However, you can't screw into these boards because of the honeycomb core.

For looks, I'm not sure that a plywood box surrounding it would pass. I might screw a 3/4" sheet of plywood (as wide and as tall as the bookcase) onto the wall studs; then screw a plywood top onto that sheet (using the bookcase as the front legs of the Frankenstand). Ideally, I'd remove the wall trim so the plywood back could be supported by the floor (and not just the wall studs); however the studs should be able to handle 140lbs.

You could use Bondo or trim to clean up the cuts, and some oil based paint and polyurethane would protect it pretty well. This way you haven't modified the bookcase and could use it after you upgrade to a larger tank. :)

What size tank are you planning on? As long as the tank reaches the edges the weight is supported by the verticles. Looking at the stand it appears that the verticles are solid wood and the top is hollow core. Like said about I kept a 20L on the expidit for years with no problems. Even with water spills, just wipe them up right away.

I want to get a big as I can get on the stand. I don't know how close I want to be to the tv though,salt Creep it what I am worried about too. I am waiting till PicO Aquariums opens back up, so I don't really have a size. I was looking at a Oceanic 14gl because the size 15.5 x 15.5 but those looks something from Star Trek.

The Dims are

Width: 23 5/8 "

Depth: 15 3/4 "

Height: 25 1/4 "

Even something like a 1x4 screwed into the studs and a 3/4" plywood top screwed to that will make that stand stronger.

So would this be on the inside? What are the studs your talking about? Ok so If I getting this your saying use plywood for the back wall with the 4" underneath the top board or on the floor. If I could google sketch it I would post back up here. Please explain. :)

The studs are in the walls. You can use a stud finder to locate them. They will give you something solid to screw the support board into.

I was thinking it would be like this.

post-3692-0-56761700-1391807423_thumb.jpg

post-3692-0-84368700-1391808679_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of building a frame on the inside of the shelf so you could no tell it was beefed up and possibly putting a plywood back on it.

I was thinking of building a frame on the inside of the shelf so you could no tell it was beefed up and possibly putting a plywood back on it.

Possibly. You could take out the shelves and make a plywood box to fit snugly in the opening. It would be more work, cost more, you'd have to be more exact, and I don't think it would look as clean. Plus the stand would still be bearing the full load of the tank (instead of sharing it with the wall).

I just realized I could fit a Nuvo 16gl on here. Dimensions: 23.62" x 12.20" x 13" Maybe it will be ok with it taking the whole top of the stand up? I think if I wood glue and screw it together with 1/4 back instead of that card board stuff it might be ok.

You do realize that it says max load per shelf is 66lbs right? I think you will be fine as is. If your that worried about it put 3/4" ply top on it to spread the load. I really don't think the sides are honeycomb. I have quite a bit of IKEA furniture ( ikea is 2 miles away) and anything that is the thickness of the sides is always solid wood or partical board. The top is honeycomb for sure but it still has a wood frame in it as well. I loaded my expidit stand, which is honeycomb all the way around, with 350 lbs and had no problems.

You do realize that it says max load per shelf is 66lbs right?

I did see that and to have 350lbs on that would scare me. I am sure you were at the limits of that stand holding the weight. You did not glue it together? I really want to keep it looking stock. Do you have any pics of the set up with the stand at all?

I finally got this done I think it will work.

nuvo16tankstand_zps431332dc.jpg

nuvo16tankstand2_zpsc85b2d19.jpg

Aw hell no.

You could make a stand yourself that looked exactly like that, but was five times as strong and immune to the degradation that particle board experiences if it gets wet. I have plenty of IKEA furniture in my house from shelves and dressers to a bed and a kitchen cart, but I would never trust any of it to hold a tank safely long term. I've had way too many IKEA shelves sag and collapse under the weight of some books to risk spilling 16-20 gallons of salt water all over the place.

You could probably get the 5 pieces from one full sheet of 3/4" oak plywood unless you went pretty tall. Lowe's or Home Depot could cut it to size for you, a box of screws, sandpaper, and paint and bam. Maybe run one or two 2x2 members across right to left under the top for even more peace of mind. If you're planning a sump, you'll want to put doors on anyways, and that unit doesn't have any.

Maybe, I am not a wood guy I am a welder guy. I suppose I could try my hand but I just don't have time or skills to match it perfectly. Though I could just buy the door for the front. What would you make it out of?

I'm no wood guy either. :) I paid someone to make the stand for my new tank. 800 pounds of water? No way I was trusting myself on that one. I edited that post with how I'd do it to look like that IKEA piece.

Oh, and no feet. You don't want to concentrate 300+ pounds onto 4 square inches. :)

I think I am going to take it to a guy I know and have him biscuit,screw and wood glue it together. Have to see what he thinks. I think the nuvo 16 will be spread out enough over the top. Might have him add some 2x2s under there with the 1/4 inch back. The tank should be around 160lbs I would guess from what you guys are saying.

Dude seriously ? You're gonna go through the trouble of paying someone for biscuit joining a piece of glorified particle board from IKEA?

If the battle axe is that stubborn, just get the 40$ worth of supplies from home depot and build the thing to look like the IKEA crap, but build it correctly instead.

can you correctly weld aluminium? If you answered yes, then you should be slapped for doubting your abilities for making a wooden box with shelves in it.

Archived