PS Gorgonian losing flesh in spots? What to do?

duganderson

A few month ago, I got some photosynthic gorgonians for my 28 g. nano. I love them. My kids also have two in there 10 frag tank wtih 2 bulb T5HO.

The photosynthetic spiny orange sea rod in the frag tank has a few sports with a small portion (1/4" or so) of flesh that is gone and you can just see the thin stick-like portion of the branch underneath.

What causes this in gorgonians?

How do you intervene to help the gorg?

Should I cut off these portions so this does not spread or will the flesh likely grow back?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Have you noticed any algae building up on the gorgonian? Sometimes mine get a very slight film even in high flow areas and I have to manually rub the film off. Have you tried any supplemental feedings to give them a little kick of extra nourishment? Even my photosynthetic gorgs go CRAZY for Ova or Cyclops. Hopefully they'll be on the mend soon.

Have you noticed any algae building up on the gorgonian? Sometimes mine get a very slight film even in high flow areas and I have to manually rub the film off. Have you tried any supplemental feedings to give them a little kick of extra nourishment? Even my photosynthetic gorgs go CRAZY for Ova or Cyclops. Hopefully they'll be on the mend soon.

I don't think there is any algae buildup but I'll keep an eye out for that. I do feed them Reef Chili 1 time per week.

Cut off the sticks. Exposure to air will cause this, so can getting stung by another coral.

Just curious, do you cut off of the stick portions without flesh because it is likely to spread if you don't? Or, does it just not get better?

Archived