SaltCritters.com

Turning API alk kit to be more accurate?

ps2cho

So the basic API kit is integers only and is done when the color turns a solid yellow. 1 drop at a time.

Could it be possible to weigh each drop then match that using a graduated dropper. At which point you could get a much more accurate number. Not to the accuracy of titration but instead of integers...you could get it down to a .25 accuracy?

Do you guys think this is possible?

My API kit matches my Red Sea alk kit so I feel like it is accurate. Just wish I could get it down to .25 instead of 1.

The Red Sea titration testers use a similar method and are highly accurate then again they use 3 or sometime 4 chemical agents to make this possible. I'm not sure this method would be possible with the lower end API testers.

You can get it down to the .25 accuracy, but it would consume your API test kit 4 times as fast (you'd get 4 times less tests per test kit). If the test calls for 5ml of water in a test, multiply it by 4 and use 20ml of water. Each drop of your ATI test kit is then .25 dkh instead of 1.

^ Oh nice idea!

The API kit is a LOT cheaper than the Red Sea kit $6 vs $25.

Maybe I can use 10ml of water, and then I can use that for the frequent check, and the Red Sea for once a week. That way I am saving money.

My goal is 9dkh...so if I can use the API to make sure its not 8.5, but actually 9, or close to it, that would be perfect.

Archived