inTank Media Baskets

Kessil a360w or Nanobox?

mozer67

Trying to decide between Kessil a360w or Nanobox (mono or duo). I have a FOWLR but may add soft corals later on. Which light will have best spread, spectrum, etc. for my 22 gal. 24x14x13 cadlights rimless tank? Thanks for any input !

for shimmer quality the kessil can't be beat. for spectrum and spread the nanobox will put kessil and most (if not all) other fixtures to shame.

Kessil has nice color and shimmer, but the "shadowing" is terrible, especially if you're just going to run one.

I'd rock a nanobox if I had to choose, for a tank your size it can't be beat.

I run a Kessil on a 25 cube and am happy, but def no SPS with that kind of spread. I've heard many good things about Nanobox so it must be good!

I have an a350w that I replaced my 150 hqi with over a 34g solana and it's gorgious! And I have a predominately sps stock and they r thriving! Actually just had to turn it to about 1/2 power from 3/4 cause a few new pieces are bleaching and FAST! Those pieces came from a store running 3 400w mogul halides over their sps tank....so go figure. I also have mine on a custom mount I made and it's above the water by 12" and that height is doing pretty well to combat the shadowing! I'll post a photo if you'd like.

I have an a350w that I replaced my 150 hqi with over a 34g solana and it's gorgious! And I have a predominately sps stock and they r thriving! Actually just had to turn it to about 1/2 power from 3/4 cause a few new pieces are bleaching and FAST! Those pieces came from a store running 3 400w mogul halides over their sps tank....so go figure. I also have mine on a custom mount I made and it's above the water by 12" and that height is doing pretty well to combat the shadowing! I'll post a photo if you'd like.

Dang! 12"! That's pretty high up. And your SPS are fine, no issues with the shadowing on one single Kessil?

The Nano Box unit can be customized for you as well. I feel that you will enjoy the even spread from the Duo over the Kessil.

Check out my Flickr page to see some killer colors and ideas.

www.flickr.com/nanoboxreef

Thanks!

-Dave

seems like everyone is on the nanobox vs. ******* threads lately. both are nice lights but are two totally different lights. overall the nanobox is better light. better spectrum, better control, customizable, and better spread.

12-24" is what kessil recommends! Don't know what kessil the other guys has but the 350 and 360 are plenty for SPS. Sorry their iPhone photos but you'll get the idea!

post-33817-0-39486200-1391663124_thumb.jpg

post-33817-0-78044600-1391663133_thumb.jpg

post-33817-0-47271400-1391663174_thumb.jpg

One more. And the ORA orange piece in the bottom right was bleaching at 3/4 power and polyps barely out half way down the tank, moved it to the sand bed and turned the light down to 50% or maybe less and now its finally opening up. So the kessil has plenty of power for SPS!!

post-33817-0-17432200-1391663438_thumb.jpg

seems like everyone is on the nanobox vs. ******* threads lately. both are nice lights but are two totally different lights. overall the nanobox is better light. better spectrum, better control, customizable, and better spread.

Remember....only one vote per IP. No ballot stuffing...lol

The Nanobox units are great for sure - a nice little custom unit will look sexy. So Dave has my vote - but I just wanted to add that the Kessil has more than enough power for SPS. I have mine (a350w) dialled down to about 50% and everything is growing and looking perfectly happy.

Different lights, different looks - both will give you good results. :)

While I say get a nanobox there is certainly nothing wrong with the kessil and its a pretty damn good light. the Kessil def more mimics a MH if you like that look.

never had a nanobox so cant say (and won't) a bad thing about it (hate it when people knock things when they've never tried them just to make their stuff look better)- not cool. DAve is a member here and I'm sure his stuff rocks. I do however have two kessils an A150W and a A350W and wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING!!! Colors are awesome. Spread is awesome. Coral growth is awesome. Nothing much more to add. :) I also LOVE the tiny light. It;s as small as half a soda can.

This SPS tank is 100% kessil powered :)

never had a nanobox so cant say (and won't) a bad thing about it (hate it when people knock things when they've never tried them just to make their stuff look better)- not cool. DAve is a member here and I'm sure his stuff rocks. I do however have two kessils an A150W and a A350W and wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING!!! Colors are awesome. Spread is awesome. Coral growth is awesome. Nothing much more to add. :) I also LOVE the tiny light. It;s as small as half a soda can.

This SPS tank is 100% kessil powered :)

the video title says it has KZ t5's over it as well as the kessils.. which explains the light spread.

unless I'm missing something, I played the video without sound since I'm at work.

the video title says it has KZ t5's over it as well as the kessils.. which explains the light spread.

unless I'm missing something, I played the video without sound since I'm at work.

Thanks for the extra update :) Just noticed that. I wouldn't dare add T5's too...I'd go blind hahaha. But there again, my tank isn;t the Great Barrier Reef at this point lol.

Archived