Top Shelf Aquatics

Dixie's mantis adventure!

dixie reefer

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a he at first but after closer look......... I think it is a girl lol She is cute alright and welcomes feeding tweezers without striking it anymore. Which makes me wanna try hand feeding her one day. But I don't know if she is ready for the 2nd base yet lol

P.S How are your cuties ?

I thought it was a he at first but after closer look......... I think it is a girl lol She is cute alright and welcomes feeding tweezers without striking it anymore. Which makes me wanna try hand feeding her one day. But I don't know if she is ready for the 2nd base yet lol

P.S How are your cuties ?

Good. I need to feed them tomorrow. Geneva is really slow in acclimating to hand feeding. Gertie's great though. Geneva's pounding on something right now. I do have some algae I have to remove tomorrow from the walls.

Maniu, sweet tank and cute mantis!

Thanks but nothing like your sweet tanks girls. I don't post much but trust me..... I am great ninja.

I promised to take some pics today but guess what...... she sensed my intentions and just stocked her huge eyes out when tied to make her come out for a snack. Later on I figured out why she wasn't interested in krill ....... she was punching the crap out of the hermit crab in her burrow.

Good. I need to feed them tomorrow. Geneva is really slow in acclimating to hand feeding. Gertie's great though. Geneva's pounding on something right now. I do have some algae I have to remove tomorrow from the walls.

how often are you feeding them ? I used to feed her table shrimp but switched to large dry krill that I soak in vitamins and oyster juice. (I feed her once a day btw)

The only pic I was able to take was this one. (You can barely see her in the bottom corner)

20140406_231801_zpsdpp20sem.jpg

Oh, I feed mine like every 3rd day because there's only like 9 gallons really on each side and I want to keep them hungry so they get it right away so I don't pollute the tanks since they're skimmerless. And still sometimes they're slow to get it.

dixie reefer
Thanks but nothing like your sweet tanks girls. I don't post much but trust me..... I am great ninja.

I promised to take some pics today but guess what...... she sensed my intentions and just stocked her huge eyes out when tied to make her come out for a snack. Later on I figured out why she wasn't interested in krill ....... she was punching the crap out of the hermit crab in her burrow.

how often are you feeding them ? I used to feed her table shrimp but switched to large dry krill that I soak in vitamins and oyster juice. (I feed her once a day btw)

The only pic I was able to take was this one. (You can barely see her in the bottom corner)http://s879.photobucket.com/user/stark60/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140406_231801_zpsdpp20sem.jpg.html'>20140406_231801_zpsdpp20sem.jpg

That clown! <3

• 3 weeks later...
dixie reefer

So I've got some sad news. I believe Kraken has jumped. I got a nice piece of live rock from the guy I got K from on Saturday. Last time I saw my little guy, I fed him Saturday and he was checking out the new rock. I forgot to put the screen cover back on that night. It was extremely weird that I haven't seen or heard from him since then. Tonight, I decided to go looking for him. I tore apart the tank and he's not in there. The only thing I can think of is he either jumped or found himself a hole in the new rock to squeeze himself into and is just hiding. I did a 4 gallon water change because I made a mess of the water looking for him. I really think he jumped, but I can't find his body which is weird. I'm dumbfounded and heart broken. :(

Islandoftiki

I really think he jumped, but I can't find his body which is weird. I'm dumbfounded and heart broken. :(

Could he be molting and in hiding?

oh no. But weird not to find it anywhere. If nothing started stinking fishy then he may not be gone. Do you have any pets that have acted weird? Can they live for a while without saltwater or not?

dixie reefer

If he doesn't show himself by the weekend, the guy I got him from has another teeny one, like a one incher that needs a new home. The guy sells live rock from Florida and he gets a lot of mantis' in his rock.

But I remember when I was getting awfully nervous when one of mine wasn't showing and the week was sooo long. And of course I was thinking the worst.

dixie reefer

I'm praying that he's hiding! I just have a gut feeling that something just isn't right. I usually see him every day.

Here's the new piece of lr. Its got a brain, sponge, macro, clam, and some coral that looks like sun coral but the tentacles are clear.IMG_1537_zps8993859f.jpg

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Really like the brain coral. Could your mystery sun coral be a dendro? Here is what mine looks like under ambient light:

71D21887-F0D0-4B69-B068-78537D259932.jpg

I hope Kraken comes out soon :)

Dixie.

Sorry to hear the new about Kraken, but don't give up hope yet! The best sign is that you can't find a body. Hopefully he will show himself soon.

Your rock looks great! Your not having any die off are you? Mime is doing well, no die off.

dixie reefer

Not sure if its a dendro. Its hard to get a picture because its kinda on the back side of the rock. It could be though. It's clear with white tips.

Mine doesn't have any die off either. The brain is doing well and the clam started opening up the other day.

dixie reefer

Thank you. A friend here gets it flown in from south Florida and sells it here. I just wanted a small piece but he had so many tanks filled with all shapes and sizes, covered in macro and corals.

Still no sign of K. :( I saw a small burrow in the rock that looked like he could fit in but there's a hitch hiking crab living in it.

I think this is what the dendro like coral is.http://reefguide.org/carib/smoothflowercoral.html I also think the brain is a symmetrical brain.

dixie.

I have some of those on my rocks too!! They are cool,mine also have the clear arms. I have to try and get some pics of my to rocks and all the life on them.....

Have you picked up your rock and looked under it for Kraken?? He has to be some where.......

Archived