Top Shelf Aquatics

Dixie's mantis adventure!

dixie reefer

Hit me up this spring once the weather warms up. I have some dragon's breath macro to share with the rest of the mantis community.

I love DBM and it is the only macro in my display tank. It actually grows pretty good and I highly recommend it ( especially to mantis fanatics lol) you gonna make someone very happy. They charge quite a bit for DBM around here.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dixie reefer

I don't think I've got enough nutrients in this tank for the macros so I think I'm going to add a fish. I need some suggestions. I don't want a shy fish, no fish that will make a meal of the macro, and no clowns. What do yall think I should add?

You can always do something like a damsel. Cheap and I love their royal blue color (mine's the yellow damsel) and they're fast if they need to get away.

• 3 weeks later...
dixie reefer

I'm pretty sure that Kraken is finally molting. Over the last two weeks, he had become increasingly aggressive, popping at literally everything. Over the last week, he has been staying inside the pipe burrow, won't make an active attempt to come get food. Now I can't get him to come out of the pipe at all. Now I'm praying for a good molt. I miss his sweet little face. I did go and get a blue damsel for the tank this afternoon, I'll get pics hopefully tomorrow.

dixie reefer

Ok I finally have pictures.

0326142136b_zpse9a4ca87.jpg0326142112d_zps7b8feb15.jpg

Baby plates!

0326142135e_zpsf7213d23.jpg

Current fts. I took out the dead coral pieces, they just made the tank seem crowded and chaotic.

0326142134j_zpsd736524a.jpg

dixie reefer

He goes back and forth between the popular shell and the pipe burrow. He's gunna be in for a rude awakening when Kraken finishes his molt lol. I think I may call the new damsel Bandit.

If there was a Farside cartoon drawing awaiting what was going to happen when they met...I'm sure it'd be real funny.

dixie reefer

I think they both will be equally surprised when K comes busting through his little burrow. I hope there's no bloodshed.

Damsels are fast, should be fine. I'm sure they'll be shock on each other's faces and that moment where they both stand still for a moment and are like, what the? Your macros look like they're doing fine.

dixie reefer

Well all of the red ones and the codium are, the other green stuff, not so much. Pretty sure my striped hermit was making a meal out of them so I put him in the sump under my 36. Hopefully now it will start growing. The macro in the seahorse tank is doing really well! The other half of the red grape that you gave me has exploded, it's huge! Going to be fragging it soon and giving some to a friend here that is setting up a seahorse tank. I'm so behind on everything on here. I need to update my threads and show my face on everyone elses.

Islandoftiki

He goes back and forth between the popular shell and the pipe burrow. He's gunna be in for a rude awakening when Kraken finishes his molt lol. I think I may call the new damsel Bandit.

Oh boy, he's going to be torqued when the mantis takes his favorite spots.

Aargh. I hate when that happens, but they always seem to show up. Peanut did! And so will Kraken! But I know it's unsettling. :scarry:

dixie reefer

I spoke too soon! I just went to feed Bandit and I saw K's little antennae! He was very intrigued by the smell of food in the water so I gave him a piece of krill. He has lost almost all of his white spots, I'll post pictures tomorrow. Lord knows I've missed that little guy! :D

I spoke too soon! I just went to feed Bandit and I saw K's little antennae! He was very intrigued by the smell of food in the water so I gave him a piece of krill. He has lost almost all of his white spots, I'll post pictures tomorrow. Lord knows I've missed that little guy! :D

Isn't it amazing how fast that love grows between you and a stomatopod?

Good to hear molting went well. My, never disappeared b4 or right after molting. She must be 5" now. Was about 4.25" when I got her. Keeping her with 2clowns and banggai cardinal fish. The only fish I worry about is cardinal but my mantis girl isn't all that psycho. Fairly chilled towards other inverts, except when reaaaalllly hungry lol

We need more pics ;)

dixie reefer

I've only had him a short while and already I know that I will be devastated when he dies. So far, I havent seen him even acknowledge the fish. I should be home all day tomorrow, so I'm going to camp out by the tank with my camera and see if I can't get some good pics. I'm slacking big time!

Good to hear molting went well. My, never disappeared b4 or right after molting. She must be 5" now. Was about 4.25" when I got her. Keeping her with 2clowns and banggai cardinal fish. The only fish I worry about is cardinal but my mantis girl isn't all that psycho. Fairly chilled towards other inverts, except when reaaaalllly hungry lol We need more pics ;)

Hey Maniu, we need a pic of yours. I don't remember when I saw one last. :o

dixie reefer

IMG_1104_zps546f790b.jpg

This is the only halfway decent picture I could get. He wasn't feeling very photogenic I guess.

Lime green...... Sweet lookn limetis!

Thanks for pics.

Hey Maniu, we need a pic of yours. I don't remember when I saw one last. :o

I barely have time for keeping up with maintenance of my tanks and enjoying it lately. And taking any pics wasn't really on my mind but I will try to take some tomorrow. Not sure if you saw that one tho......

Overview shot:

20140317_210728_zpssuv7und8.jpg

If you look closely, she is peaking out in the bottom/mid section:

20140317_210826_zpshmnt4nvh.jpg

close up:

20140317_211359_zpsvk5dshzu.jpg

Archived