Pod Your Reef

Dixie's mantis adventure!

dixie reefer

Seems like everyone is catching mantis fever!!!!

Rad lil guy you got there!

Haven't even set up my first nano (won't move for another couple of weeks) and now I've got mantis fever too dag nabbit!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wait until he gets comfortable in his surroundings, it usually takes about a month for them to settle in to the crazy alien environment that they are now a part of and figure out that none of it is really dangerous--unlike the ocean where everything wants to kill you.

I just want him to be comfortable, one minute he will be all chill and the next he will be all over the place for no apparent reason. I'm going to add some palys and some macro to this tank to add some color.

Haven't even set up my first nano (won't move for another couple of weeks) and now I've got mantis fever too dag nabbit!

They are so cool. I'm glad I set this tank up.

I put that fake plant in there last night and today, he is like a totally different mantis. He is wandering around but not spazing out like a freak and likes climbing all around in the plant.

Ok, that picture is freakin' cute. I think the difference you're seeing is that your mantis is slowly getting used to the bizarre alien surroundings and will become your best friend in the weeks to come as it learns where the food comes from. I find these to be very food motivated animals. And intelligent to boot. Right there, you have the recipe for training them to do tricks.

I put that fake plant in there last night and today, he is like a totally different mantis. He is wandering around but not spazing out like a freak and likes climbing all around in the plant.

Hmmm maybe there just weren't enough visual barriers? I know it's apples and oranges, but in dart frog tanks if there aren't enough plants to act as visual barriers the frogs won't feel secure and will hide most of the time. Maybe it was spazzing out for the same reason?

I was hoping that might help. I'm thankful it did. We're expecting 8-10" of snow now Tues-Wed night. This is the "big one" for us. I have to go to work because I have a delivery there for tomorrow but I'll be leaving and coming home and vpning back in w headphones & all the rest of the day and the rest of the week as there's supposed to be ice as well. I love a Subaru on fresh snow but it's hilly back here and I won't risk LaWanda's safety or mine.

I was hoping that might help. I'm thankful it did. We're expecting 8-10" of snow now Tues-Wed night. This is the "big one" for us. I have to go to work because I have a delivery there for tomorrow but I'll be leaving and coming home and vpning back in w headphones & all the rest of the day and the rest of the week as there's supposed to be ice as well. I love a Subaru on fresh snow but it's hilly back here and I won't risk LaWanda's safety or mine.

Hey, no problem.

Love my big striped hermit. I brought him back with me from Florida last summer and he is currently living peacefully with Kraken.

They are very interesting to have. Do you ever worry about when they get order that they have the ability to shatter the glass on the tank with the claws? I know that this has happened before.

They are very interesting to have. Do you ever worry about when they get order that they have the ability to shatter the glass on the tank with the claws? I know that this has happened before.

That is unbelievably rare. The breaking of glass for the most part has been for documentary TV shows to make the show more exciting. It would take a really big mantis going at the glass over and over, or really thin glass. My 5" O. scyllarus

. I've classified that likelihood as more of an urban legend in my mind.

No it doesn't scare me. Especially since this guy will only get about 3" full grown and has a relatively weak strike compared to larger mantis species.

That is unbelievably rare. The breaking of glass for the most part has been for documentary TV shows to make the show more exciting. It would take a really big mantis going at the glass over and over, or really thin glass. My 5" O. scyllarus

. I've classified that likelihood as more of an urban legend in my mind.

That is good to know. I always wanted to keep one but stayed away because of this..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad the macro survived the trip. it'll grow fast. I think they're all a pretty combination together. I had my light on 6-8 hrs a day and it grew fast.

Yay pretty colors!!! Hopefully it takes off like a weed for you. I just threw away a grocery bag full caulerpa prolifera a few weeks ago, it is a fasssst grower. Keeps the water sparkly clean though. :happy:

Yay pretty colors!!! Hopefully it takes off like a weed for you. I just threw away a grocery bag full caulerpa prolifera a few weeks ago, it is a fasssst grower. Keeps the water sparkly clean though. :happy:

Exactly, it's as if you had carbon in there it's so clean. Except for some spots on the glass that I wipe w/ a toothbrush here n' there.

Hit me up this spring once the weather warms up. I have some dragon's breath macro to share with the rest of the mantis community.

Hopefully it does well, this is my first experience with macro. A couple pieces of what yall sent went into the seahorse tank too. It was really nice of yall to send this stuff to me. I hope one day, when it all grows out, I'll have the opportunity to pay it forward.

Hit me up this spring once the weather warms up. I have some dragon's breath macro to share with the rest of the mantis community.
How awesome of you!

Archived