Cultivated Reef

Dixie's mantis adventure!

dixie reefer

Just needed his mother's love. Maybe for whatever reason he just got spooked. He'll be better w/ some color in the tank probably. I work the hrs the post office is open but I'll see what I can do to get it out to you soon.

Please send me a pm whenever you get a chance to send it out. That way I know to check my mail. I usually only check my mailbox a couple times a week.

Maybe I need to change my screen name to The Mantis Whisperer? Haha I don't know what could have freaked him. I only have a emerald crab and my docile striped leg hermit in there. I think the emerald is too big for Kraken to take on atm so i put a smaller red leg hermit in there for him to smash up if he got the itch.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'll send a pm when I get it out. It'll be it ships for what fits so it'll be in the mailbox w/ a hand warmer. Found it in the camping section at Walmart.

Another one?

Just kidding, these mantis are awesome. If I get accepted to a college in Seattle (vs. WSU way out in Pullman) maybe I'll get a second tank started for one of these amazing critters.

Another one?

Just kidding, these mantis are awesome. If I get accepted to a college in Seattle (vs. WSU way out in Pullman) maybe I'll get a second tank started for one of these amazing critters.

I love that more people are keeping them, and keeping the ones that aren't the colorful ones. You really don't need much for them, the light being the most expensive thing is not necessary because stock lights are perfect for macros for these guys.

Nice sound on that !!!! We need one of those meters those shows what it looks like, like they do with speech, when they graph it. I'm sure SOMEONE has had to have done that.

Nice sound on that !!!! We need one of those meters those shows what it looks like, like they do with speech, when they graph it. I'm sure SOMEONE has had to have done that.

Few own sound waveform generator but that's where computer steps in. It would be interesting however to see db levels (sound levels produced by striking force). Pistol shrimp generates well over 200db per strike. And it isn't the sound or his claws striking together but bursting air bubble and heat. Fascinating

I didn't see a whole lot of Kraken yesterday. I noticed that he had been digging in the sand under his rock pile and figured he was getting ready for a molt. He was out this morning and since I didn't feed him yesterday, I gave him a little piece of table shrimp.

0207141301c_zpsfdd0f0e1.jpg

So, he was swimming all over the tank again today....

0208141159_zps8f2c079a.jpg

And when I was scrubbing the tank with the algae scrubber, it scared him and he sat like this watching it....

0208141200_zps38c2242d.jpg

Oh, poor little guy was scared. That's a defensive posture. He's got his telson curled up to protect the soft bits. He'll get used to it though.

ha! That picture has so much personality!

VYfDSsW.jpg

Haha he really does have so much personality. He loves to people watch. Still not molting, just walking around the tank today checking everything out. Caught him exploring the pvc burrow I made him.

Haha he really does have so much personality. He loves to people watch. Still not molting, just walking around the tank today checking everything out. Caught him exploring the pvc burrow I made him.

Just wait until he gets comfortable in his surroundings, it usually takes about a month for them to settle in to the crazy alien environment that they are now a part of and figure out that none of it is really dangerous--unlike the ocean where everything wants to kill you.

Archived