Pod Your Reef

Dixie's mantis adventure!

dixie reefer

So I finally got a mantis shrimp! Found a guy locally that found what looks to be a neogonodactylus oerstedii in his rock. I ended up meeting him at 11:30 pm at a gas station to get it. He's about 2" long with an attitude! He was snapping in the way home and it scared the bejesus out of me! I had put him in a container in my sump for the night and moved him into his home this morning.

0127141925_zps8bba997a.jpg

Pics from last night

0203140000c_zpsf2adc240.jpg

0203140002b_zpsa1056156.jpg

0203140004c_zpsd9469dc5.jpg

0203140008_zpsc9950689.jpg

This morning

0203141034a_zpsd4427e73.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! Following along!

If you want to know if it's a boy or a girl, look for two little sticks right at the rear set of walking legs in front of swimmer fins that sit like this: \ /

Here's a picture. Boys have the two "sticks" and girls have nothing. (Well, they don't have nothing, you just can't see their junk so easily)

Thanks! I will check if I ever see it come out of the rocks haha. I put him in and he went straight to the pipe burrow and then found hus way into the rocks on top of the burrow. I think, regardless if its male or female, I'm going to name him/her Kraken.

0203141142_zps6df05134.jpg

0203141144_zps3f6c38dc.jpg

I wouldn't have been able to pass up a free mantis! Are you planning on adding coral to this tank?

Well I did add a colony of zoas because I can't seem to get the nuisance algae off of it and I don't want it to spread to my other corals in my other tank. Other than that, I don't plan on putting coral in this tank. I do however, want to put some macro in here.

Love that picture of it in the bag staring at you with its big eyes, and wow, it'll stand out so pretty in that tank!!! I'm now catching up on threads, trying to relax my heart after that experience I just had. I'm making dinner and I haven't read the reply posts yet to my drama. and I don't like drama. Welcome Kraken!!!

:D Thanks everyone for following! I'm totally smitten with Kracken. He's still a little shy, but so cute so its ok. I caught him peeking out of his den while I was cooking supper.

Yes Zia, another thread! :P

0203141727f_zps4459cb64.jpg

I know! He started moving about more so I decided to feed him.

I think he has claimed this rock pile haha

0203141912a_zps10a00d0c.jpg

Eyeballing the killer emerald.

0203141915_zpsdca85bab.jpg

0203141916a_zpse785aa61.jpg

0203141916f_zps5b220ae9.jpg

Ha, he looks stunning against the white backdrop. It actually brings out those pretty, subtle yellows- I'm really surprised at how gentle he was removing it. Mine go after it like's it's the last meal they're ever have.

The video is very cute. He looks to be pretty non-aggressive. No indication of attacking the forceps. Might be able to hand feed that one. If you dare!

I love how, in the the vid where he was reaching for the food, he was like gimmie gimmie gimme. Lol

That's what Chuck does; reeeeeaaaach for it.

Betty swims up and latches onto the forceps to make sure nothing is left behind and doesn't let go until she's convinced she has it all.

Thanks! I will check if I ever see it come out of the rocks haha. I put him in and he went straight to the pipe burrow and then found hus way into the rocks on top of the burrow. I think, regardless if its male or female, I'm going to name him/her Kraken.

So I guess you could say that you.....

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐□-□

(⌐□_□)

released the kraken.

I+guess+you+could+say+that+++is+_9100831

I walked into the kitchen today and found Kraken swimming all over the tank and at the top of the water like he was freaking out, and that made me freak out. I ran to the tank and put my hands on the lid to make sure the little guy didn't get out of the tank and started talking to him (don't judge me) and he settled down and just stared at me and finally ran into the rocks.

Just needed his mother's love. Maybe for whatever reason he just got spooked. He'll be better w/ some color in the tank probably. I work the hrs the post office is open but I'll see what I can do to get it out to you soon.

Archived