inTank Media Baskets

IM XVI - MANTIS basics-vids-pics

Maniu

Setting up Mentis dedicated tank and need some pointers on aquascape. So far I have cycled the tank and moved 2 clowns in there for extra bio-load. Mentis is 4" so I figured two 2" clowns would have more or less the same effect on biological filtration capacity. Once biological filtration is able to handle that bioload, clowns go back to their old 20g L tank and Mentis will be brought in from my LFS (about 2-3 weeks from today).
At this moment, I am running stock filtration that came with the tank with few extras. Added some phosguard and Seachem seagel as well as some chaeto and some LR rubble. Down the road I might (depends on water quality) add nano esshops skimmer and IM gfo reactor. But that is not a priority atm but simply an option to consider. (I have both and ready to be used if needed). Light consists of crappy IM 24" LEDs - 1 is 14K and the other is 456nm actinic. Keep in mind that this is Mentis dedicated tank and high output light needs are almost non. I do however plan on using softies and sponges (perhaps a gorg or 2 as well).

To spare you a boring details, I will start with two pics of aquascape that I came up with. Both very similar with bottom part almost identical. Bottom will stay unchanged due to number or caves and tunnels created for Mentis to hide in and build his new home. It's the top portion that bothers me a bit.

1st pic looks very random and I actually liked it but it had few spots that look like a huge empty holes. It looked cool but somewhat unnatural.

2nd pic shows a bit more bulky aquascape with center piece that looks like a tree over hang. Bottom rockwork is more or less the same tho.

Which one do you like better and why? (I like them both) And any other suggestions are more then welcome.

2014-02-01%2018.44.33_zpsvunud3ph.png

2014-02-02%2013.44.37_zpsrpxizzxg.png

I am hoping that he will get really lazy and work around the scape I did for him. Lol

Besides the aquascape you see in the picture, there is about 1lbs of loose, small (1-2") rubble behind main rock work.l was going to use pvc pipe to make few channels and his burrow under the sand bed. seemed like a cool idea after watching fellow member incorporating it in his mentis tank. But I gave up on that approach in favor of more natural and random layout. Mentis is about 4" big so I am a bit worry about his carpenters abilities.

2nd scape flows very well. But in due time that mantis will scape it anyway he wants!. Lol

If that's what you wanna call it. But I am pretty sure his acting skills with a sprinkle of comedy glitter will make me smile from ear to ear.

OMG I GET IT! Your auto spell checker needs a beating. it's MANTIS!

IM 16
Stock filtration with added phosguard and seachem seagel. Also added some LR rubble and chaeto.
Light - IM 24" leds 1st 14K and 2nd 456nm. HD led for chaeto
Scape - 2" black live sand. 12lbs of live rock. 1lbs of lr rubble.
livestock - peacock mentis shrimp coming in 2 weeks

:lol:

(but you are right my AC is super dumb. But what would you expect from Korean iPhone wanna be)

It's a MANTIS! There is no such thing as a mentis tank. :angry:
There is NOW. SUE Me.......
do you have a cleaner shrimp?

I had one for a while in my other tank but it sadly committed suicide. I have my commie pisstol with 9 or so sexies and yellow watchman.

You should get a spanking for assuring me that he will behave and leave my booty shakers alone.

• 4 weeks later...

lol Silly Kat... or should it be.. Cat? :happy:

Guessing Mentis is her name :P

Careful with the black sand.. it can injure the mantises gills it uses to breath :( Not really recommended. I'm pretty sure Roy said silica sand was an big no-no and lava rock is made of silica I think? Not sure. We really need a guide for all the new mantis tanks popping up.

Love the macro's!

2014-03-04%2005.35.40_zpsllmj5lea.png

20140303_190909_zpsitqbunam.jpg

lol Siliy Kat... or should it be.. Cat? :happy:

Guessing Mentis is her name :P

Careful with the black sand.. it can injure the mantises gills it uses to breath :( Not really recommended. I'm pretty sure Roy said silica sand was an big no-no and lava rock is made of silica I think? Not sure. We really need a guide for all the new mantis tanks popping up.

Love the macro's!

I heard about silica sand and others disregarding black sand as useable in mantis tank setup. But so far I don't have any issues with bloom or "Mentis" being unhappy with it.
Yes, his name is Mentis (Greek) :)

Archived