Pod Your Reef

Tiny pink swimming things (lots of em overnight after adding CUC)

eolith

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would except they all disappeared, as stated before. I have no idea how that many of something could just disappear. But, one of my chromis' did the same thing. *POOF* "Up and vanished like a fart in the wind!" << can anyone get the movie this quote is from?

I would except they all disappeared, as stated before. I have no idea how that many of something could just disappear. But, one of my chromis' did the same thing. *POOF* "Up and vanished like a fart in the wind!" << can anyone get the movie this quote is from?

Shawshank Redemption :D

Shawshank Redemption :D

My favorite movie. I saw where they filmed it in Ohio. The main building is open, you can see where the office of the warden is, where the record player was played, where they deloused everybody, where the name was scratched in of those that were there- other buildings aren't there anymore- the laundry scenes, school scenes, etc. It used to be facility for young men. They tore down much to build a new facility, across the street!! Morgan Freeman, my favorite actor. I'm gonna watch it tonight I think. I love the story.

Can you isolate some into another tank and try feeding them...see what they grow up to be? Check out the shape of the swimming stage of the giant clam life cycle....I think you're going to have a tank full of stunning maxima clams soon :);)

Giantclamlifecycle.jpg

I think this could be it but how have the eggs been able to survive a cycling tank and being transported?

I think this could be it but how have the eggs been able to survive a cycling tank and being transported?

I'd imagine as eggs they have a protective covering - like a shell or slime or something. I've seem videos of giant clams almost fully exposed at low tide so there must be something that protects their eggs from drying out.

that image is so small I can't read the name on those "embryos" for lack of a better term. Do you have a link to the source?

It is hard to read. It's called a Trochophore. Here's the link

http://diversityoflife2012.wikispaces.com/Clam

Reading more about it I'm not sure your "thingy's" are clams. Looks like the eggs and sperm come together and form these free swimming lavae. There's no "egg" stage where they lie forming until they hatch.

I'd imagine as eggs they have a protective covering - like a shell or slime or something. I've seem videos of giant clams almost fully exposed at low tide so there must be something that protects their eggs from drying out.

It is hard to read. It's called a Trochophore. Here's the link

http://diversityoflife2012.wikispaces.com/Clam

Danna, nice discovery girl!! If that's what it is I wonder what it would have taken to grow them.

Danna, nice discovery girl!! If that's what it is I wonder what it would have taken to grow them.

I'm not sure if there's a stage (like clownfish) where they are forming inside little egg pouches before hatching. But whatever they are they must have been in some sort of stage like that as they doesn't appear to be any adult versions of anything in the tank. Maybe now they've disappeared we'll never know. Sure would be cool if some have managed to take hold in the rocks though. I'd love to know for sure what these things are :)

I'm not sure if there's a stage (like clownfish) where they are forming inside little egg pouches before hatching. But whatever they are they must have been in some sort of stage like that as they doesn't appear to be any adult versions of anything in the tank. Maybe now they've disappeared we'll never know. Sure would be cool if some have managed to take hold in the rocks though. I'd love to know for sure what these things are :)

I read on advanced aquariust about breeding tridacnid clams and it said that even in breeding and researcher tanks 90% of the larvae do not make it past a couple days and in home aquaria it is rare for them to survive at all.

Eolith I would recommend dosing some phyto and other stuff because you never know they may survive if you do.

a stress event like shipping or being out of water can cause a clam to spawn. To spawn a clam has to be mature, for tridicnads that is ~4 inches.

Clearly you would have seen a 4inch maxima lurking in your tank. They do look like clam spawn, but it could be simpler molusks. I'm curious to see what WWW comes back with.

To help with your search for the mysterious little creatures. It seems a few people think its a larval stage of a tridacnid clam. Sorry but there no way. Break down eolith's tank. He got dry rock and even cleaned it out before adding to tank. Then added sand and water and watched a cycle. So a hitchhiker from that is off the list. Then he noticed them after the addition of a cuc from reefcleaners. A operation based in florida where tridacnid clams do not exist in the wild. So clams are off the list. But a hitchhiker from the reefcleaners package is your best bet.

If you want to find out what this little guy is, I suggest looking at the zooplankton based in the waters off the Florida coast. So now you have a sample area to start with instead searching the 7 seas for an answer. I would email the photos to a marine/plankton researcher here in Florida and ask.

Hope this helps

Also, in general clams love ammonia.

To help with your search for the mysterious little creatures. It seems a few people think its a larval stage of a tridacnid clam. Sorry but there no way. Break down eolith's tank. He got dry rock and even cleaned it out before adding to tank. Then added sand and water and watched a cycle. So a hitchhiker from that is off the list. Then he noticed them after the addition of a cuc from reefcleaners. A operation based in florida where tridacnid clams do not exist in the wild. So clams are off the list. But a hitchhiker from the reefcleaners package is your best bet. If you want to find out what this little guy is, I suggest looking at the zooplankton based in the waters off the Florida coast. So now you have a sample area to start with instead searching the 7 seas for an answer. I would email the photos to a marine/plankton researcher here in Florida and ask. Hope this helps
This is very logical. Darn it.

This is very logical. Darn it.

I'm an engineering major. ATM I'm studying for an exam and took a nanoreef break. Guess my logical side rubbed off in this thread. Lol

They are squishies. :wub:

I was thinking jellies too. It would make sense considering that we(Florida) get terrible blooms every so often. Jellies are anchored as larvae/eggs iirc

To help with your search for the mysterious little creatures. It seems a few people think its a larval stage of a tridacnid clam. Sorry but there no way. Break down eolith's tank. He got dry rock and even cleaned it out before adding to tank. Then added sand and water and watched a cycle. So a hitchhiker from that is off the list. Then he noticed them after the addition of a cuc from reefcleaners. A operation based in florida where tridacnid clams do not exist in the wild. So clams are off the list. But a hitchhiker from the reefcleaners package is your best bet. If you want to find out what this little guy is, I suggest looking at the zooplankton based in the waters off the Florida coast. So now you have a sample area to start with instead searching the 7 seas for an answer. I would email the photos to a marine/plankton researcher here in Florida and ask. Hope this helps

Would have saved a lot of time if I'd have read the tank thread lol. thanks :)

Archived