Coral Vue Hydros

120 Degree Razor Reflectors Now Available

CoralVue Aquarium Products

Hello Chris,

Have you guys attempted new PAR ratings with these or the dimensions of the size tanks the different lights (60W or others size) will cover with the 120 degree reflectors?

CoralVue Aquarium Products

We are not changing the recommodations on what Razor for which size aquarium. The new reflectors are designed to increase spread, we plan to do PAR tests next week.

Chris

littlebigveteran

Not too clued up on reflectors/lenses but in theory does this mean that you could lower the height of the unit to give more intensity whilst adding the reflector to give a better spread too?

We are not changing the recommodations on what Razor for which size aquarium. The new reflectors are designed to increase spread, we plan to do PAR tests next week.

Chris

Really looking forward to the PAR measurements for these new reflectors. I'm looking to get on of the 27" units to go over a 40 breeder on legs, no hanging option, so the wider spread is key for me.

I ordered one of these yesterday to see how much it helps with the disco-balling on my Nano. I'll be sure to post a review as soon as I get it. I don't have a PAR meter though, so I won't be able to attest to that.

Got my reflector the other day and finally got to installing it tonight. Install was fast and easy; less than 5 minutes. Just a Philips head screwdriver is required. The spread is definitely wider. I didn't really need tht aspect though as this is only over an 8 gallon tank. The reason I got it was to look at the light quality. I'm MUCH happier with the light now. No disco-blue-polka-dot effect. Very nice soft blending of the various LEDs now.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on a PAR test? I had a 120 over my BioCube and sent it back due to the heavy disco. I am picky, but my non-picky friend took a look and also disliked the way it looked.

• 1 month later...

I just posted this in the Maxspect Razor Owner's thread, but thought it would be useful to repost here as well...

OK, PAR values have been obtained! The 120 optics definitely negatively affects PAR as compared to the 90 optics. It decreases PAR by roughly 20%. I still think that the 120 optics give a better quality light though. (Hurray for no more disco!)

I've made some charts of the PAR readings from my tank. The PAR meter was pretty finicky, just tilting the sensor slightly could really affect readings. That being said, I tried to be as consistent as possible with sensor placement. I think you can get the idea of the trends. I also played around with the settings on the Razor to see what PAR various settings were putting out. Here is a shot of my tank with the sites where I took measurements marked, as well as a scale for depth reference:

PAR_zpsf435851b.jpg

Now, for the readings...

W: 50 B: 50

90 120

1 104 83

2 70 50

3 45 44

4 61 43

5 61 47

6 65 53

W: 75 B: 75

90 120

1 285 205

2 187 129

3 126 115

4 164 112

5 161 123

6 169 141

W: 100 B: 100

90 120

1 520 365

2 345 240

3 230 210

4 299 204

5 297 238

6 317 255

So, my take away from this experiment is that I can work on slowly increasing my light settings since I will continue to use the 120 optics. I had already been doing so, just based on how some of my Palys were stretching and fading in some Zoas. Also, it was interesting for me to see how I actually have higher PAR down at the sandbed, due to reflection of light, than I do slightly slightly closer to the light.

Thanks for the PAR readings.

I put the 120 degree reflectors on my new 160W model and took them back off a day later. Too much spread and loss of brightness IMO, and I really don't like the white reflector. I just raised my unit higher to compensate.

Archived