Phosphate?

josh_scci

I lost a new fish last night so I decided to run some water tests today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate >5, ph 8.0-8.2, phosphate .08. So I checked my rodi water to be sure it's not coming from there and it was zero. I'm not sure where it could be coming from, could the dead fish have caused a spike? This tank has been running for over a year now and this is the first time I've had a phospate reading over .02. Also my sump is full of chaeto and i don't have any nussence algae at all.

well.. phosphate didn't kill the fish if that's what you're asking..

I don't know if dying livestock causes phosphate spikes, I guess it could...

out of curiosity, how often do you test phosphate? maybe it has been steadily rising and you just haven't known..

No, I know it wasn't the phospate that killed it. The death is what promted me to run a full set of tests. I haven't checked phosphate in about 3 months but never had a problem before today. Just wondering where it could be comimg from.

No, I know it wasn't the phospate that killed it. The death is what promted me to run a full set of tests. I haven't checked phosphate in about 3 months but never had a problem before today. Just wondering where it could be comimg from.

how do you know if you have or haven't had phosphate if you haven't tested it in three months? seems a bit naive to me.. my guess is that it's been rising and you didn't know it.

So you check for phosphate on a normal basis even when you have no problems? All I'm trying to figure out is where the phospate is coming from.

Could it be over feeding? I didn't test my Phosphate level for about a month and just tested it last week, it was 0.06 which is also very high. I expected it to be high because I was over feeding to try to get my mandarin fatten up. Maybe you over fed a little and it was slowly climbing up you didn't notice it?

Since you haven't been testing it periodically, you can't pinpoint when it started, so that makes it harder to identify what change you made (if any) that contributed to the rise...

That said, the top sources for phosphates is either food or leaching rocks.

^^+1 phosphate is the result of feeding.. I hesitate to say "over" feeding, because I feel that more feeding is better than less feeding, but you have to have a way of exporting that phosphate.. if you feed anything to the tank you are putting phosphate in the water, some foods more than others.. if you don't have a way of exporting it then it builds up.

Feeding is really all I can think of and I only feed 4-5 times a week. My rock came from reef cleaners and they where running at least three months before live stock was added to the tank and they never showed any phosphate. I'm using chaeto in my fuge to export nitrate and phosphate, I also threw some phosgaurd in today and will check again in a week or so. I'm just about out of reagent, that's why I haven't been checking it as often lately.

Have you recently changed a different kind of fish food? It could be the reason as well. And always rinse frozen food with fresh saltwater or RO water.

Feeding is really all I can think of and I only feed 4-5 times a week. My rock came from reef cleaners and they where running at least three months before live stock was added to the tank and they never showed any phosphate. I'm using chaeto in my fuge to export nitrate and phosphate, I also threw some phosgaurd in today and will check again in a week or so. I'm just about out of reagent, that's why I haven't been checking it as often lately.

it can be a faulty test too. are you using hanna? if so, a fingerprint on the vial can skew the results.. I've also heard of people getting batches of reagent that were consistently high or low..

Yeah, it's a Hanna checker but I tested again with just rodi to check the results and it was zero. I'll check again tomorrow but I only have two reagents left.

Yeah, it's a Hanna checker but I tested again with just rodi to check the results and it was zero. I'll check again tomorrow but I only have two reagents left.

that's what sucks about the hanna, stupid reagents..

Well I went ahead and retested just now and got a reading of .06. That's after a 15% water change and adding the phosgaurd to the sump. I really need to make a couple of those voss bottle reactors.

I think just trying to get the reagent in the tiny bottle opening is the worst part.

Well, that and if you ever get a grain under a fingernail... Ouch.

Archived