SaltCritters.com

GoPro reef tour?

Adam_Bobomb

Has anyone dropped a go pro onto a rod or inside a tube and moved it around their tank through the water? Seems like you'd get an amazing perspective.

I used one for pictures on a snorkeling trip, they didn't turn out very good but I think over exposure to the sun may have played a part, I may just try dropping mine in the tank.

lnglostsurfer

This actually seems like a really cool idea, would definitely work better with a larger reef to get a more lifelike feel. Really make more of a 3 dimensional feel rather than the 2D front glass panel we are used to looking through

Hang on, the president of my local reef club is a college professor, and one of his engineering groups is doing a project to make a system that sits on the tank and with a remote control, maneuver a camera submerged in the tank. X, Y, Z axis movements, plus 360* rotation in the horizontal plane... Let me go snag a link to his project thread.

http://thepsas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2720

Hang on, the president of my local reef club is a college professor, and one of his engineering groups is doing a project to make a system that sits on the tank and with a remote control, maneuver a camera submerged in the tank. X, Y, Z axis movements, plus 360* rotation in the horizontal plane... Let me go snag a link to his project thread.

http://thepsas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2720

Hey Chris,

That's funny. I saw the render post on reeffrontiers I think.

I was thinking a bit less involved and more manual. Haha.

Where are you from?

I've done it (got pics on my tank thread). It's just a little difficult to maneuver the camera around and get a picture. The GoPro app is very handy in this sense. The issue with it (as with any camera) is getting the right white balance. Blue lights and underwater photography don't exactly produce nice pictures--mine always seem blue-washed out, if that's a thing (I'm not a photographer). You can address this by buying a filter for the camera, there are many red filters that are primarily used for scuba, but I imagine they would work well in this application as well. Actually, a scuba forum might be a good place to get advice on using a GoPro for underwater/very blue environments.

Hey Chris,

That's funny. I saw the render post on reeffrontiers I think.

I was thinking a bit less involved and more manual. Haha.

Where are you from?

Didn't even notice you're in Seattle... Bothell here.

I have filmed most of my scuba diving with GoPros.

SRP (Snake River Prototyping) have a lot of really great color correction filters for GoPro!

I have both the SRP color filter suited for blue water, and the SRP color filter suited for green water. I have green water at home in Norway, and have used the blue water filter when diving around Bali, Indonesia. :)

Maybe the blue water filter would be nice to add some magenta back into the spectrum? :)

Didn't even notice you're in Seattle... Bothell here.

You going to the frag swap next month?

here's a pretty cool example

That's exactly the view but using an acrylic rod attached to the case to get around better.

Thanks for that.

You going to the frag swap next month?

That's the plan.

Not planning on buying anything, but I have some stuff to give back to a vendor, and I've not been to a frag swap before.

That's the plan. Not planning on buying anything, but I have some stuff to give back to a vendor, and I've not been to a frag swap before.

It'll be my first as well.

Enchelycore808

Tried it! I think if my tank was bigger, I'd have better results though. Due to the fisheye on the gopro, there is a noticeable amount of warping around the edges if you are close to the subject.

Archived