BattleAthletics

PicO Aquariums

Custom External Herbie Overflow

Dual Return Tank

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Click Here for Tank Pictures!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Tank

Through whether it be my luck or obsession, I have been privileged to come in contact with some extremely helpful forum members to local members. I have an incredible cast of friends that have helped me out tremendously in this hobby of mine. I can only hope that I can return the favor in the future to everyone that has helped me in this amazing and expensive hobby.

One night I get a text from Mark(Spirofucci) saying that he plans to sell the system he has but doesn't want to part it out. He wants someone just to take it away completely. In shock I said sure and let me see what I can do. Fast forward to January 12th and I am at mark's house ready with a U-Haul cargo van. The tanks were not in TOTM material and I knew that going in. It took us about 4-6 hours to load everything. We annihilated a 24 pack of beer and some of what mark had already had. About 90% of the corals didn't make it due to the stress of the shipping so I had to throw away huge chunks of colonies. Reason being that within that time that mark got sick he hadn't touched the tank and the livestock was still hanging on, 6 months no water change will do that.

I was planning on setting up both tanks but the space wasn't there and plus the stand that mark made could hold an army tank. So I ended up getting rid of the RSM. The stand I know is overkill for the tank but it has two separate sides, the right side is the sump area and the left side is the electronics area.

Equipment:

- Display Tank: Current Solana 20x20x20 Rimless Cube Tank 3 Sided Low-Iron
- Lighting: Ecotech Marine Gen 2 Radion Pro
- Stand: 64x22x32 (From Spirofucci)
- Skimmer: LifeReef SVS2-24 Skimmer w/Eheim 1262 (900GPH)
- Return Pump: Lifegard Quiet One 4000(991 GPH)
- Sump: CLF2 Custom Sump 30x13x14
- Circulation Pumps: 2 Ecotech VorTech MP10WES with Battery Backup & PicO Vortech Darkside Shield
- Heater: Finnex 300W Titanium Heater With HC810 Digital Controller
- Media Reactor: Two Little Fishes PhosBan Reactor w/upgraded pump
- Auto Top Off: Avast Marine Works ATO Controlled by APEX (Pressure and Float switch)
- RODI: 5 Stage BRS Chloramines System w/Booster Pump w/extra DI stage 75GPD & Booster Pump(Set:75#)
- Controller: Neptune Systems Apex AquaController System with Lab Grade pH Probe

Substrate & Rockwork:

- Sand: Mix of Fiji Pink, Crushed coral and Bahama Oolite
- Custom DIY rock sculpture: Inspired by Chingchai and Nineball (RC Forum) and Spirofucci
- Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro, Instant Ocean

Maintenance:

- Vital Sine Refractometer

Livestock:

Later!

Table of Contents:

- Drilling and gluing the overflow box -

- Acid Washing Dead/Live/Dry Rock -

- Equipment Panel Installation and design -

Oh and if you are here for awesome pictures with incredible resolution, yeah im not there yet.

Edited by BattleAthletics
  • Like 11
BattleAthletics

That is the quite the set-up.

Yes it is. I've yet to even finish half the intro page but I appreciate you stopping by. I've got a busy day tomorrow at work, hopefully it goes by quick. The silicone on the massive overflow box is curing. Gah, the smell of vinegar.

• Like 1
BattleAthletics

Drilling is scary, but fun.

12134369553_f605c24868_c.jpg

Bulkhead installation

12134101855_079182f0e1_c.jpg

Silicone the overflow box, yeah its huge.

12135101793_4b2b5d5dc4_c.jpg

12135495096_2fff48812c_c.jpg

Now to wait for it to cure.

A 45mm diamond drill holesaw bit(1in) was used with a guide that I made using scrap acrylic.

I drilled the acrylic first and used clamps underneath and the jig above where I was going to cut into. I measured the box, split the dimensions in 1/3rds and marked where I wanted it to be. I had a friend pour some water out of (this) to cool down the hole saw.

The same goes for the 39mm diamond drill holesaw bit(3/4 in).

Edited by BattleAthletics
  • Like 11
BattleAthletics

Need constant updates.....

omgomgomg

I promise to constantly update with pictures.

Looking good BA, following :)

Drilling is definitely easier than people think it is..

Yeah it is, just use a good jig and a water source.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Coming!

• Like 3

I can certainly mirror your comments about the community here (outside the lounge of course)...I have been out of the hobby for more than a year and just returned. Folks have been very generous with their time, knowledge, and materials.

Equally encouraging is seeing a legacy system passing the torch from one owner to another. Please keep us posted on Mark's progress...hope he is recovering and can rejoin us sometime soon.

Will be watching your progress with interest!

• Like 3
BattleAthletics

I like it!

Me too! Hehe.

:happydance:

So cool to follow his tank under new management :).

I've got a LONG LONG way before it looks like his used to. But hes been a big help so far. I haven't talked to him in a week, hope to hear from him soon.

This is gonna be a sexy tank! :naughtydance:

for a Texan tank.

Thanks Kim, ill be needing your assistance too.

Woot woot!

This comment reminded me of this video, funniest Tosh.0 video ever IMO.

http://youtu.be/u-N2lk0znE8?t=8m2s

tittaysssss

Of course.

I can certainly mirror your comments about the community here (outside the lounge of course)...I have been out of the hobby for more than a year and just returned. Folks have been very generous with their time, knowledge, and materials.

Equally encouraging is seeing a legacy system passing the torch from one owner to another. Please keep us posted on Mark's progress...hope he is recovering and can rejoin us sometime soon.

Will be watching your progress with interest!

Thanks evanski, your comment means allot because of a key note you said. "Legacy System" One thing ive learned is that ive got big shoes to fill. I hope to make mark proud.

Nice score!

Thanks! Ever get things settled out with "Edwierd"?

Looks good! This build is pro!

Im looking to mimic what you have! I can only hope and try.

• Like 3

Battle, Things are looking good. I like to see the documentation taking place on the tank. Keep this up and it will become a great resource for all of us.

• Like 3
BattleAthletics

Looks like your off to a kick @ss start! Congrats on the new journey.

Thanks Zia! Ive been a long follower of your tanks, I even remember asking about your ReefSavvy tank you were thinking of selling. Your display tanks will win TOTM's one day for sure!

Battle, Things are looking good. I like to see the documentation taking place on the tank. Keep this up and it will become a great resource for all of us.

Coming from a master of perfection I truly appreciate the comment, as in your thread, I will try and be as specific as I can in describing everything I am doing and planning to do. Your attention to detail made me want to create a tank thread where people could come and simply click a button to go to a specific item that I have or even a picture describing what I have, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Interesting Build... MedRed's tank is one of my favorites.

Hey there fellow local!

• Like 2