Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need help choosing new Kessil a150

TheGoofyRobot

TheGoofyRobot

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to get some quick advice / opinions on what route I should go here.

I currently have a 20 gallon long with 2 Kessil a150 sky blues mounted over it and have been pretty happy

with them (about 1 year). Recently I've decided that they really aren't blue enough for my taste. I know some people might suggest other fixtures or stunner strip but I really like the look of just the 2 kessils sitting over the tank and how they attach.

Anyways, I've been looking at the ocean blue and the deep ocean blue. Marine Depot has some videos up that shows combinations, and kessil has some of a tank with sky blue and ocean blue. They look drastically different. The Marine Depot video that shows the sky blue and deep ocean blue together looks the best to me but after doing research on here it looks like the deep ocean blue is really more or less an actinic led that does not put out decent par. So based on that information I would lean more towards the ocean blue.

To confuse me even more the kessil a360 seems like it is more or less a sky blue and a deep ocean blue combined into one led with adjustable knobs for dimming. It also seems people are pretty happy with this one.

I guess I'm really just turned around. Thanks for looking!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to get some quick advice / opinions on what route I should go here.

I currently have a 20 gallon long with 2 Kessil a150 sky blues mounted over it and have been pretty happy

with them (about 1 year). Recently I've decided that they really aren't blue enough for my taste. I know some people might suggest other fixtures or stunner strip but I really like the look of just the 2 kessils sitting over the tank and how they attach.

Anyways, I've been looking at the ocean blue and the deep ocean blue. Marine Depot has some videos up that shows combinations, and kessil has some of a tank with sky blue and ocean blue. They look drastically different. The Marine Depot video that shows the sky blue and deep ocean blue together looks the best to me but after doing research on here it looks like the deep ocean blue is really more or less an actinic led that does not put out decent par. So based on that information I would lean more towards the ocean blue.

To confuse me even more the kessil a360 seems like it is more or less a sky blue and a deep ocean blue combined into one led with adjustable knobs for dimming. It also seems people are pretty happy with this one.

I guess I'm really just turned around. Thanks for looking!

With a 20 long aquarium, you will want to utilize two of the same color Kessil A150 to achieve and even color in your aquarium. The Ocean Blue color is your best bet in order to get a suitable combination of high par values and ample cool-colored light. The Deep Ocean Blue will simply be too blue when used alone.

As for the A360 units, they are great as you can adjust the color but would be way too powerful for your shallow tank. The A360 lights would need to be dimmed down quite a bit in order to avoid bleaching your corals. I would only recommend this option if you plan to upgrade your tank down the road.

TheGoofyRobot

Thats great info! I was just about to call you guys.

I did just get off the phone with Kessil and they said exactly the same thing so I'll be placing my order later this week with you for the ocean blue.

Thanks for you help!

Archived