how reef keeping helps you in your day to day life

abbycat

just wondering who uses this hobby to deal with stress or helps get through diffrent stuff in life by getting there minds off stuff

iv been around reef tanks my whole life but didnt get in to it in to it till about six months ago when i started chemo therepy for testical cancer. it really helped me not stress on my own problems cuz i had a piece of the ocean to take of. i have a 12g jbj nano cube n love it. i have a wide arrange of corals and they all are doing really well under the pc lighting. i have even donated a few small tanks to other people going through chemo n have gotten them addicted to this hobby

here is a link to my youtube channel i just started and would love if you guys followed gave some advise or asked some qeustions about it, but i would also love to see what other people are doing

Im glad this hobby helps you with chemo. My wife's grandma had to go through chemo for cancer and its not easy. You're a brave soul. Stay strong.

As for me, my reef helps me relieve stress from work and school. My daughter absolutely loves my tank. And she loves watching "daddy clean the fishies" as she calls it. I can literally stare at my tank or fo maintance all day long! :)

I even get excited when i have to do a water change lol :)

+1 glad it helps you relieve stress while fighting such a horrible illness. How are you now? I hope well.

Also helps relieve stress for me from school and the daily grind. School is kicking my ass (im in a tough program). I've also always loved aquatic life and am a novice diver. So it's going to be my slice of a reef while I cant afford to dive somewhere warm and amazing.

I cant give advice or even show off my system since it's just live rock right now lol

I'm Glad it's helping You out and wish you a speedy recovery. Reeding is definitely a great way to get lost in your own little world and posting on nano reef with like minded people can also be some good downtime to "forget" your stressors.

glad it helps you with chemo, my fish tanks are my home inside my home, each one is diffrent and each one helps in a diffrent way, my nano reef is right on my bedside table and i often find my looking at it before i sleep and when i wake up, and when i have real bad days i grab my compfort food and bury myself in my tanks, my reef, my brackish puffer, and my fresh planted keep me sane in a world filled with assholes and idiots. good thoughts and good vibs from me and my family to you.

ha i keeps me sane lol

im made a full recovery n 100% back to normal but no way i could of done it without my tank. all the stuff a new tank goes through n changes is awsome. like right now im battling cyno n it totaly distracts me with research n its not easy to beat without chemicals

im sorry to hear about your grandma im 24 but i know its even harder when your real young or older

My husband died 6/1/2012 due to unexplained bleeding which lead to weakening and thus hear tattack- in 2011 he had 2 surgeries, one to remove cancer from his native kidney, the other to remove his pancreas. I started a tank Feb 2013 on my younger sister's urging since she'd been salty for maybe 5 yrs prior.

I needed something strongly to focus on because my thoughts were always on Don, what he needed. So you have strong feelings of love and caring for someone, then you have intense feelings of longing due to grief. Then you think it's crazy once you are forced to start letting go because you have to "move on" and then you're left empty and there are no longer any huge feelings for something, not anything, and you're depressed. If that makes sense.

Reefing was a way for me to be passionate about something again, that could be recirculated in so many ways depending on what your desire was that year, that moment. A way to help remain focused and reenergized so I wouldn't let myself think of Don 24 hrs a day.

Then you're antsy, until you buy some coral, then the shipment comes and you're revitalized and a summer day can feel like Christmas....even when Christmas didn't feel like Christmas.

It's a constant learning. If it wasn't this I wouldn't be learning about anything. At work you have a certain set of things you learn and that's it. I rarely watch tv now.

Reefing gave me some socialization again, meeting new people, some which you trust more than people generally around you and some you meet here end up living in your neighborhood and you share a common bond of friendship and reef love.

Helped me have more confidence in myself, didn't feel confident about anything once my husband passed. I got the 8 gallon going, learned and felt strong enough in my abilities to take it to the next level w/ a 34, and then mantis tanks. And I learned some DIY skills along the way.

Reefing gives you more than what you bargain for, aside from some credit card debt.

wow thats intense but its like make a world to get away from this world but it helps you get through stuff to just think about something else, but i know i cant get to to depressed or forget cuz my tank will crash. it kinda gives me a purpose other then the normal stuff. plus i love when someone sees it and the inspired to get one to. its kinda like a living painting that im trying to control but its not that easy.

but i havent noticed too much of a dent in my wallet, i have a really good lfs n he makes me go slow n tells me what i can n cant have in my little tank.i think thats what really helped my tank too just using one good storre

Whenever something stresses me out, even if I don't have any maintenance to do on my tank, I still stare at it for hours. Whether it be an argument with my wife, or a bad day at work, I always have something that is pretty to come home to and stare at. It's just so peaceful and helps me relieve all of my stress.

I care for my mother in law who is almost 93yrs old, bed ridden and in hospice care. Its not really stressful but it is very confining since either my hubby or I need to be here all the time. I had aquariums before Mom moved in with us, but I really enjoy it more than ever since I'm home so much. Aquariums and fireplaces are the most relaxing, down time hobbies!

ya i love just staring at my tank n im sorry to hear about your mother in law. reef keeping is something special for sure n its a tough hobby to get into if your heart isnt there, the learning curve is not the easiest thing to get over but once your there n your tank is thriving it gives me the time to just enjoy my work iv put into it. its cool to hear how this has helped diffrent people in a lot of ways

it makes me wanna go down to my cancer treatment center n donate another tank n give back

You guys mentioned it too, does give you pleasure when someone sees it and they've amazed. My mother loves gardening, she didn't understand my love for this- she only saw my 8 g before. The other day she saw my 34 for the first time, told her it's like gardening, some want sun, some more shade and how when the fish were removed from the 8 gallon the mushrooms have been suffering because there's nothing causing nitrates, no fertilizer. She actually really seemed kinda impressed and I think had more respect for the hobby. :)

it really is like gardening, but a sea garden lol. i think a lot people just see fresh water tanks with a few plants cuz there so commen n think the hobby is like that till they see a reef tank with all its color n life they kinda respect it a little bit more. and i love small tanks when there set up nice with lots of color. they fill in faster then a big tank n show off a lot of beauty in a smal space. my mom still thinks im kinda nuts about my tank cuz when ever she sees me im looking at tanks on youtube n doing research into what ever problem im having, which is the big destresser for me cuz its get my mind off what ever bs i have going on

I can't say that reefing helps me any in day to day life, gaming is what I use to take my mind off of things. If I hadn't gotten interested in computers and gaming I'd probably still be a user. Reefing is just the latest in my vast assortment of things I take interest in. :)

i use to game a lot to till my gf put a stop to that lol not in a bad way just takes up a lot of time ti keep her happy n my tank

but man have i wasted whole days to cod n not regreted a min of it

Reefing has helped me kick my crack addition, gambling addiction and women addiction. Simply because I can't afford that crap anymore with this hobby!!! :)

I just look forward to seeing my tank at the end of the week and noticing what had happened while I was away. Its really rewarding when your coral is growing and it is more instantly gratifying than college or work.

i use to game a lot to till my gf put a stop to that lol not in a bad way just takes up a lot of time ti keep her happy n my tank

but man have i wasted whole days to cod n not regreted a min of it

Been there, done that. But this one doesn't care. She'll literally tell me to go back to my cave, and that I don't play enough games. She's the keeper, and the best thing ever. :D

Been there, done that. But this one doesn't care. She'll literally tell me to go back to my cave, and that I don't play enough games. She's the keeper, and the best thing ever. :D

NICE!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your illness :( Glad that you have found something that helps you cope though. My boyfriend and I started our tank just over 2 months ago and I'm absolutely addicted already. Last week things were very stressful for me at work/school and all I wanted was to come home and curl up in front of our cube in my pj's. I find that it is great to have something to become totally engrossed with when you just need to let stuff you're worried about go. Also, slowly creating something which is beautiful and alive is amazing and a really positive way to spend free time for me. Hope your recovery is going well.

~ Hester

Reefing really helps me with my undiagnosed ADD. It allows me to always be tinkering with the systems, marine life, and how the system operates. Although my wife hates that I spend a few dollars here and there on this hobby, I think ultimately she understands I could be doing worse or more expensive things.

My knowledge of the nitrogen cycle via reefing helped me at work yesterday. My client was talking technical details regarding their water treatment plant and mentioned shutting off their aerators to create anoxic zones. Bing, right in the conversation.

Maybe I should have asked him if they had tried a remote DSB or if they just used skimmers...

Polarcollision

I got my 8 gallon tank after my 16 yr old dog died. Somehow she managed to weasel her way into my heart and become a surrogate child. :-) It was painfully obvious how much of my headspace had been filled up with her 'care' thoughts and I needed to divert that instinct. A reef turned out to be a great answer--needy little buggers that they are. Sometimes after a disheartening day I'll just sit and stare at the beauty of these little underwater worlds and find peace... and eventually amazement at life returns.

Congrats on making a full recovery. I hope your cyano doesn't. :-)

Thanks

Ya the hard work that goes In to a nice tank especially a smaller one really gets your mind off stuff.

I'm donating one this weekend where I received my treatment. It's only a fresh water but she is new and only 14

Archived