Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Breeding

hypostatic

That's incredible, Kazoofish! How many do you count made it past the pellet 'o nem stage? I count at least 20 that are showing colors in that first pic.

I am making a coral viewer out of one of the acrylic boxes so should have a better idea on numbers and hopefully able to take some better pictures too. I have had babies of all sizes spit out by mom. From less than 1/16" to 3/8"!! The large white one you see in the pictures of the baby nems was just spit out earlier this month. I can't confirm but can guess that sometimes the mom takes the babies back in to develop more - almost as if they are brooding or maybe there are some babies that remain longer within the mom than some of their siblings. These holdovers wait till the next birthing event. There is too much variation in sizes in the newly released offspring. This may explain why there are some variations in the colors in the newly born offspring as I have noticed that during a particular event say I get about 6 or 7 orange center babies but then I get two, but little larger, yellow center babies. I posted these before but here is series of pictures of the big white one being spit out. Sorry photography is not a strong point for me.

post-84525-0-41262800-1419887794_thumb.jpg

post-84525-0-38307900-1419887798_thumb.jpg

post-84525-0-72645300-1419887801_thumb.jpg

post-84525-0-19441500-1419887805_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if it's more difficult for mine because they're on sand instead of gravel??? I know I only saw pellet babies float out of the mouths of the females and carried to spots in the tank where they settled.

• 4 weeks later...

One month old nems!!. Such diversity. Just amazed at the variety of color combination and tentacle variety coming from only two mothers. Pinks, purples, greens, reds, yellows, oranges, white. Under blue lighting (cant take good picture of that) the colors are just mesmerizing and we get some more colors showing. Someone with a genetics background better explain this one to me.

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...
FlowerMama

One month old nems!!. Such diversity. Just amazed at the variety of color combination and tentacle variety coming from only two mothers. Pinks, purples, greens, reds, yellows, oranges, white. Under blue lighting (cant take good picture of that) the colors are just mesmerizing and we get some more colors showing. Someone with a genetics background better explain this one to me.

They're looking awesome. They could be the dominant genes from previous nems, like the grandparent nems in their past.

Has anyone ever seen their rock flower release brown gooey stuff with white egg like balls?

Were they like betta size pellets? If so, could be baby nems prematurely released. I've not seen brown gooey stuff associated with that though so maybe it was eliminating too.

3023_zps9aa1cbe2.jpg

My tiny reef

One of the RFAs I bought had babies literally as I was putting her in the tank. Freaked me out a bit because I had not researched their breeding habits at that point and just saw things flying out of her into the water. At one time I counted seven babies total that had attached in the tank and even had three in a little nursery, but they crawled or hitch hiked out on a snail. I'm down to two I can see and only one I can truly target feed. It's 6 or seven weeks old now and much bigger and showing more color than the other. I think my mama nem released them prematurely because of the stress of transfer, so they started really tiny. Here's my baby nem eating cyclopeez, so cute! I'm hopefully it will survive because it eats well and has stayed put while the others seem to go on walkabouts and get lost. It looks like it may develop some nice colors too!

image.jpg1_6.jpg

After the excitement of the babies and then researching and falling in love with them more, I've decided to do a small RFA ONLY tank and see what happens. Seems like there are a lot of RFA lovers on here so I'll be reading through tank threads for ideas and tips. Once I get started I'll start a thread for the tank!!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

One of the RFAs I bought had babies literally as I was putting her in the tank. Freaked me out a bit because I had not researched their breeding habits at that point and just saw things flying out of her into the water. At one time I counted seven babies total that had attached in the tank and even had three in a little nursery, but they crawled or hitch hiked out on a snail. I'm down to two I can see and only one I can truly target feed. It's 6 or seven weeks old now and much bigger and showing more color than the other. I think my mama nem released them prematurely because of the stress of transfer, so they started really tiny. Here's my baby nem eating cyclopeez, so cute! I'm hopefully it will survive because it eats well and has stayed put while the others seem to go on walkabouts and get lost. It looks like it may develop some nice colors too!

image.jpg1_6.jpg

After the excitement of the babies and then researching and falling in love with them more, I've decided to do a small RFA ONLY tank and see what happens. Seems like there are a lot of RFA lovers on here so I'll be reading through tank threads for ideas and tips. Once I get started I'll start a thread for the tank!!

Yes, they do seem to get lost. I'm hoping that once I get my 60 started again w/ black mini gravel that they'll be able to stay attached and not wonder off to melt slowly somewhere into the unknown. And yep, they will spawn prematurely even after water changes and when that happens, it's really hard to make the babies survive.

• 1 year later...

after two weeks..

still have a great count in the tray, 7-10 in the tank still

building a 7 gallon rfa tank for growout

IMG_0568.JPG

the tray

IMG_0558.JPG

• 2 years later...