SaltCritters.com

retrofitted sunpod halide into biocube hood

Travis55

I can get a cheap sunpod. Either a 70w or 150w. Can i tear the sunpod apart and mound the reflector and bulb in the hood? Basements super cold anyways. I could cut vent holes to help aid with cooling. Thanks!

I cant remove the hood due to a cold basement. My basement is about 55* now. I run a 300w heater in my turtle tank thats a 20l with 10g of water. Gets 72*

I know jbj had an enclosed halide hood on a tank

Hmmm.... you'd need a very powerful fan if you do it but it's possible.

Also you'll need to trade the spash guard with glass.

JBJ has indeed done it with a 150w bulb even.

It would probably be easier to scrap the hood and put a large sheet of plexiglass over the tank instead though

If you install a 200 watt heater in a biocube it will keep temp in a 50 degree basement. I keep a 200 watt heater in my brute tub in the garage and it keeps temp. My garage gets down to 14 degrees. Or you will need 2 high output fans and a reflector to mod the hood.

Hmmm.... you'd need a very powerful fan if you do it but it's possible. Also you'll need to trade the spash guard with glass. JBJ has indeed done it with a 150w bulb even. It would probably be easier to scrap the hood and put a large sheet of plexiglass over the tank instead though
Plexi will melt.

I cant move the tank. Ive always had problems keeping temp in the basement. I figured if the glass cpuld be cut in a radius id loose the lid. I guess pcs will stay...

Archived