Top Shelf Aquatics

Good LPS corals for a pico

rockpainter

Hi picoreefers!

My 3 gallon JBJ is my very first reef. I am stocking it slowly and have some zoa frags, a ricordea, a duncan, xenia and a montipora. I love how LPS corals have a lot of colors and movement (my duncan is my favorite coral right now), but every other species I look into is listed as aggressive or semi-aggressive. I'm concerned they wouldn't do well (or make other corals not do well) in such a small tank (maybe I'm overthinking it?).

I would like to stay away from very sensitive corals. I try my best to keep things stable but I do have occasional fluctuations in salinity and nitrates. I have a 14W PAR30 Coral Compulsion LED bulb for lighting.

I'm also on a budget, so I don't want to spend more than $25-30 on a frag.

Also they don't have to be LPS...any colorful, lively, peaceful, low maintenance corals will do!

I'd love any suggestions/advice!

Candy canes, acan lords, micros don't have long sweepers. I'd just stay away from some favias, euphyillia family, enchinatas, things that will really reach and bug others. Maybe something encrusting like cyphestrea, war coral, pavona?

thesmallerthebetter

LPS in picos is a toughy. not due to care needs at all but more due to the fact that most LPS grow fairly quick which can pose problems with limited real estate.

LPS ive had issues with in picos:

Torch, Hammer, Frogspawns (tentacles wreak havoc)

Acans (Grow too fast, looks disproportionate)

Fungia (too big, cant frag and still look natural)

Galaxia (brutal sweepers that reach EVERYWHERE)

Candy Canes (fast growers, quickly look too big in a small tank)

Duncans (insane fast growth, massive PE)

LPS i have had success with:

Lithophyllon (fraggable fungiids)

Cyphastrea (more of a sps growth rate and nature wise)

Micromussa (like mini acans)

• Like 1

Leptastreas are encrusting LPS which is problematic when real estate is at a premium in a pico but they look wonderful. Google jason fox john Deere leptastrea. Mine has encrusted beautifully and is right next to anotjer species of leptastrea. They didn't kill each other, they are actually pushing against each other and growing a skeleton 'wall' between them.

Blastomussa is an excellent choice for picos. spot feed it with mysis and it will love you.

I was going to say, why are people not mentioning blastos? My nearest LFS has a tiny tank with PC lighting and Blasto m. doing great in the weak light.

• Like 1

Wow guys, thank you so much! I had my heart set on acans (love how they look), but it looks like a micro is the way to go! Blastos also look nice. I just can't seem to get excited about the encrusting corals :P I like movement.

PS thesmallerthebetter, what does PE mean after Duncan?

• Like 1

Wow guys, thank you so much! I had my heart set on acans (love how they look), but it looks like a micro is the way to go! Blastos also look nice. I just can't seem to get excited about the encrusting corals :P I like movement. PS thesmallerthebetter, what does PE mean after Duncan?

Acans don't really move. its feeding time when you get to see corals like acans and blastos really move with food stimulus.

Acans don't really move. its feeding time when you get to see corals like acans and blastos really move with food stimulus.

You're right. I guess it's more that I like defined, more fleshy polyps. I should have started with a bigger tank haha!

well, if you like HIGH maintenance, then sun corals are super pretty ;)

I recently added a sun coral to my 4g pico that I pull from the tank every couple of days to feed and I'm loving it. When it does open up (usually on a night) it's beautiful to look at.

I've been feeding it every 2 to 3 days. I'll take some tank water in a small tub, drop it in there and let it have a good feed. It seems to be responding to that very well so far.

sun corals are usually in poor shape when you get them; LFSs usually don't take the time to feed them, so they're pretty low on energy reserves when most people get them. Once you feed them enough so that they have an energy reserve they'll be open practically all the time. Mine are open most of the day, and they'll open really quickly if I feed the fish some flakes and they smell the food

• 6 years later...

why no Acans?  I have an acan and a micromussa in my pico. ( 4 head acan and  1 head micro). now that I have it....  uh...  what shall I need to watch for?

13 minutes ago, lowry_pt said:

why no Acans?  I have an acan and a micromussa in my pico. ( 4 head acan and  1 head micro). now that I have it....  uh...  what shall I need to watch for?

Micromussa Lordhowensis and Amakusensis are ideal for picos - they don't fight anything unless it's physically touching and they only strike over extremely short distance. They are, IMO, the best suited pico LPS you can get.

If you got an echinata, it probably wasn't the best move since they are very aggressive and when they fight, they tend to entirely nuke the other coral and can hit from a distance.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 12:29 AM, jservedio said:

Micromussa Lordhowensis and Amakusensis are ideal for picos - they don't fight anything unless it's physically touching and they only strike over extremely short distance. They are, IMO, the best suited pico LPS you can get.

If you got an echinata, it probably wasn't the best move since they are very aggressive and when they fight, they tend to entirely nuke the other coral and can hit from a distance.

yeah. THESE are the 2 I have. the Red acan Lord and ruby red micro. YEAH!!!!

• Like 1