Coral Vue Hydros

BRB, in the desert. Tank is still up.

Red_Blenny

how's this tank doing?

I just tore it down like yesterday so I can redo the aquascaping + anchoring down a DIY light hanger to the stand (made out of EMT conduit) + making a mini-table for the tank to raise the tank over the lip/rim of the original tank stand.

I thought I would've finished everything yesterday but nope, aquascaping takes forever.

you didn't get rid of all your lovely rics did you??

Nope. In fact, a few months ago (more like around April/May), I picked up some more rics: a teal body with a green skirt, bright yellow rics (that actually stayed yellow), and an interesting ric that is redish, orange-y, and pink that sorta blends in together (I'm still wondering if it'll morph down the road).

In addition, I picked up some other shrooms besides rics... I think I might end up renaming this thread from Ricordea Garden to Corallimorph Mushroom Garden lol.

• 1 month later...

Borrowed my gf's point and shoot camera and took a few pics of my tank... I spent like 3 weeks aquascaping this tank (and I'm still not done with the aquascaping).

Here's some pics of my tank and the 'shrooms I've amassed:

FTS as of 8/30/2014

14913642620_83545279a0_b.jpg

Left side:

14913714969_a2a3603a20_b.jpg

15097378901_0341e08940_b.jpg

14913763848_ef352f8b4c_b.jpg

Right side:

14913738419_98ac41b924_b.jpg14913798577_7f9d8262ef_b.jpg

Some of the new mushrooms:

14913892558_3ba042e707_b.jpg

I had pics of my zoas but they didn't turn out very good. My acros, they're brown and aquascaping the tank many times didn't help at all. I'll take some macro pics with the DSLR later in the upcoming months....

• Like 4

where do you order your rics from?

Most of it came from LFS but a handful of them is from Cherry Corals (though some of them are close duplicate of each other now that they finally settled down in my tank).

Reef Gardner has some rics that's similar to mines.

That's a lot of Rics! :)

Thanks Nano! I should do a headcount on how many rics I have.

But hey, you have a quite a garden of mushrooms ;)

• 2 months later...

Most of it came from LFS but a handful of them is from Cherry Corals (though some of them are close duplicate of each other now that they finally settled down in my tank).

Reef Gardner has some rics that's similar to mines.

Thanks Nano! I should do a headcount on how many rics I have.

But hey, you have a quite a garden of mushrooms ;)

What LFS? I'm in SoCal too, just curious.

I love the Ric garden. I hope I can keep mine as happy as yours.

Thanks Claire! I'm sure you can keep yours just as happy

What LFS? I'm in SoCal too, just curious.

Igotcorals (the same location as Socal Tropical Fish) at Fullerton and Chance of Corals over in Hawaiian Garden.

Not too sure about Coral Gazers (at Tustin) and Reef Lounge USA (somewhere where the 91/57 meets). They used to have a decet ric collection but everytime I stop by, they have a few frags.....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow thats a lot of rics, it will be so nice once they overlap on grow to the edges :) The variety you have is just crazy, I can barely find anything other than orange, blue and green.

Wow thats a lot of rics, it will be so nice once they overlap on grow to the edges :) The variety you have is just crazy, I can barely find anything other than orange, blue and green.

Thanks gqlamo. You have a pretty sweet collection yourself (SPS, zoas, and gundams). Doesn't RR Canada have some pretty unique rics too?

Ricordia garden indeed. I like it

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

As for this tank, this tank is still up and running. Sorta neglected it during fall semester. Here's some updates:

• I lost my hot pink Yuma, it refused to eat since June and has been slowly melting away
  • My pink millepora is undergoing STN'ing at the middle and moving upwards but the bottom part is encursting like crazy.... Go figure.
  • My Tri-color acro is also receiving same fate as my pink mille BUT the shape of it is... peculiar. The bottom base is aggressively encrusting while all the top branches fused into one giant piece so it's beginning to encrust in mid-air (if that makes any sense) while shading out the parts under it.
  • I bought 2 new acros, a pink stylopora that shoots out branches everywhere and another "Yellow Mamba" lookalike. Both are doing well.
  • My Candy Apple Reds colony started to melt and had to frag out the dying zoas.
  • I'm planning to aquascape for like the gazillionith time (some time after new years). Me and the gf don't like the "2 island look" (and I can add more R.Floridas/Rhodactis into the tank if it all goes according to plan :ninja:)
  • After aquascaping, I'm planning to get a tail-spotted blenny so I get my nitrates up (tired of dosing potassium nitrate) plus my tank looks lonely with only 1 fish.

...and this is assuming that I'll aquascape on time. Right now, Socal is having a chilly and wet winter winter.... I'm planning on going on a snow hike soon (before it all melts away).

• Like 2

Hey Red_Blenny, Nice setup you have. I have a combo rock anemone, ricordea setup. Was wondering what you feed your rics and how often. Have you seen many babies from your rics?

Also lost my pink Yuma this year, so we are in the same boat :(

Never know with Yumas...

Ouch, you too?

Yea, I'm staying away from Yumas for now unless I know for sure it's been in captivity for many years.

Hey Red_Blenny, Nice setup you have. I have a combo rock anemone, ricordea setup. Was wondering what you feed your rics and how often. Have you seen many babies from your rics?

I feed each rics with 1-2 pellets using Fauna Marin Ultra LPS Grow&Color food at least once per week (if I'm super busy, I feed them once every 2-3 weeks).

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-ultra-lps-grow-color-medium-pellet-coral-food.html

Fauna Marine also makes a Ricordea and Zoa formula but I've heard it's the same thing as the LPS formula except it is in powder form... Most of my rics, however, prefer the pellets over powder <_<

If you have any fish food (except the NLS Ick-Shield formula, I heard that's not coral friendly), you can try and feeding them with that and see if you get any reaction from it. Just turn off the pumps and it'll take a good while for them to eat (and if they don't like it, they shrink up + excrete more slime to slough off the food). It was a trial and error for me to figure out if they like pellets or powder foods.

As for them making babies, I only had ONE ric that created a tiny baby. The rest of them came in with multiple mouths and some of them decided to split up into new rics (I do have a R. Florida that has like 5 mouths and doesn't want to split up at all).

Nano sapiens

Ouch, you too?

Yea, I'm staying away from Yumas for now unless I know for sure it's been in captivity for many years.

My pink one and also an orange baby. Had another orange baby detach yesterday. These are all 'captive'. All this happened a few months after introducing a wild Yuma that developed a fungal infection, but has since recovered.

On the one hand I find the condition facinating in that it is so specific that it only effects yumas (floridas are perfectly fine), on the other hand it's certainly a shame to see them struggling :(

In hindsight, I should have resisted that wild yuma...

My pink one and also an orange baby. Had another orange baby detach yesterday. These are all 'captive'. All this happened a few months after introducing a wild Yuma that developed a fungal infection, but has since recovered.

On the one hand I find the condition facinating in that it is so specific that it only effects yumas (floridas are perfectly fine), on the other hand it's certainly a shame to see them struggling :(

In hindsight, I should have resisted that wild yuma...

My "rainbow" Yuma (the typical blue/green/yellow/gold/pink one) and my other Pink/Gold Yuma from Sexycorals both had a baby and those are definitely captive.

The hot pink one was from Indonesia (according to the LFS owner who sold it to me). I wondered if it also suffered an infection that I didn't know about.... It ate pellets for the first year that but afterwards, it had that look where it starts to become smooth (like it started to loose those bubbles) and then it refused to eat.

Afterwards, my other Yumas had that same issue so I moved my hot pink yuma to the QT and the rest of my Yumas recovered... But the pink yuma never recovered.

Actually, at the same time, one of my R. Florida had the same issue as my pink yuma (started to become smooth and loosing its bubbles). It had 2 mouths so I decided to split it in half... To my surprise, it recovered in a week... I thought that was odd (maybe it needed help splitting?)

I haven't seen the RR rics, I live on the West coast, therefore all the RR stuff has to come in over night. I haven't bought anything from RR in a long time, my wallet thanks me :)

Thanks gqlamo. You have a pretty sweet collection yourself (SPS, zoas, and gundams). Doesn't RR Canada have some pretty unique rics too?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took picture for a zoa contest I entered in my local reef forum. Here's a pic of my new fishes photobombing the zoa in the middle:

16889963385_99df0b6c25_b.jpg

A top down shot I didn't use in my zoa grow-out contest:

16890194615_e03af5eac5_b.jpg

And a FTS (as of 3/21/15):

16888712932_72c20d94a4_b.jpg

• Like 1

Dayuuuuuuuuuuummm. Looks great! I looooveee rics

Rics are definitely my favorite corals. They're relatively immune from the 'name game' and there are so many different color combinations that makes me want to do a ric carpet on the bottom of the tank.

so very nice. I love it hope my 8 looks that good someday

Thanks! I saw your tank and you defintly have a nice collection of rics and rhodactis.

• Like 1
  • Red_Blenny changed the title to BRB, in the desert. Tank is still up.